7 replies to this topic

#1 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

I just noticed that the Fafnir has a case over a guass rifle ... so I will assume that that will contain the explosion to that (in this 'case') side toros - wow! I didnt know that!?

#2 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:23 PM

Yea, meaning your CT will not take damage from an exploding gauss rifle. It's usually not worth the extra half ton.

#3 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:01 AM

I just lost the XL ST from Dragon trial and died because gauss rifle in arm exploded lol

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 16 March 2018 - 02:01 AM.

#4 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

yep u get that on the Big Jobs!

#5 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:46 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 16 March 2018 - 02:01 AM, said:

I just lost the XL ST from Dragon trial and died because gauss rifle in arm exploded lol

I suggest you look at the math of of the total internal structure of both the right arm and torso and realize that unless you played deliberately bad or very unluckily that engine destruction via gauss destruction is next to impossible. If your torso structure is that weak you would have died to small laser in seconds anyway. There is no argument to made for using CASE with gauss. What if the Dragon wasn’t a trial? The twenty points of damage will barely hurt the arm and very little will transfer.

#6 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:31 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 16 March 2018 - 07:46 PM, said:

I suggest you look at the math of of the total internal structure of both the right arm and torso and realize that unless you played deliberately bad or very unluckily that engine destruction via gauss destruction is next to impossible. If your torso structure is that weak you would have died to small laser in seconds anyway. There is no argument to made for using CASE with gauss. What if the Dragon wasn’t a trial? The twenty points of damage will barely hurt the arm and very little will transfer.

It happened anyway, plus it's rather memorable as I've not seen such thing to happen ever before, that something in arm takes out the whole mech.

It wasn't meant to say IS case is useful, I don't think I use it currently on any mech.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:27 AM

View PostBolter01, on 15 March 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

I just noticed that the Fafnir has a case over a guass rifle ... so I will assume that that will contain the explosion to that (in this 'case') side toros - wow! I didnt know that!?

Stock design.
In Battletech, with repair and rearm in campaign missions and valuable yet disposable pilots (aka pilots die), CASE will keep an explosion from instantly killing the pilot or completely destroying the mech in a bad situation. (Not sure how it has CASE with Heavy Gauss Rifles though....?) Well whichever model you're looking at, the CASE will prevent ammo (or Gauss Rifle) explosions from being able to transfer beyond the side torso.

You'll also notice every stock IS mech with an XL engine has CASE in each side torso. This is because while (lets use the Atlas K as an example), the mech itself might be about 9 to 10 million, the engine itself is 12 million in Battletech for a combined cost of just under 23 million when bought new. The XL engine would be completely destroyed upon receiving 3 critical hits (regardless of locations) and as such destruction of the side torso would instantly render the entire engine completely unsalvageable; hence the installation of CASE. This way if the side torso is destroyed, the rest of the engine remains intact, requiring expensive repairs nearing the 1 million range at most, but certainly no bankruptcy-inducing loss.

(MWO is very forgiving on its prices; also the price of engines are universal in MWO since their utility is universal, in Battletech the XL 300 engine for a 100 ton mech can NOT be used on mechs of any other weight, and the same engine for a 35 ton mech is about 3 million as opposed to the 12 million for the XL 300 on a 100 ton mech.

Also to avoid confusion before it starts: MWO has not featured R&R since 2012 pre-launch... Granted at the time it was possible to earn 3 million in a single match [my personal record; LRM Commando], the usual top payouts was 400 to 800k with the average earnings being exactly what they are here, and repair bills reaching as high as 1.3 million on a colossal failure for an ammunition-based 'boat'... The above BT information is given specifically to show why "CASE" is often put into stock designs in situations that would make them useless in MWO... due to MWO having extremely different mechanics.)

But yes, in MWO as long as you have a Standard or Light Engine, the explosion will only damage (or destroy) your side torso. No chances of a chain reaction going through your CT and killing you. If you have an XL engine you'll die anyway.

Edited by Koniving, 17 March 2018 - 07:33 AM.

#8 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

View PostBolter01, on 15 March 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

It's not good to assume based on stock mech loadouts, but in this case it is correct. However, case is useless with an IS XL engine. If you lose 3 engine crits (the side torso is destroyed), you die regardless. Light engines, Clan XLs and Standard engines don't have this problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users