Heavy Handed Dakka Buffs Will Make Balance Worse

39 replies to this topic

#1 Eindridi

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:53 PM

I am all for improved balance and weapon choice diversity, but the new buffs will do nothing for underperforming builds and just make a few builds that are already strong significantly better.

Quad LB 10-X ANH absolutely destroys and it will be getting 10% more DPS, 6x AC/5 will just run cooler. Again and again the community has expressed its frustration at mechanics that encourage boat builds, and this buff further promotes boating, buffs builds that are already top tier, and does virtually nothing for lighter 'Mechs that can't boat.

Making every assault only viable as 1 button big deeps push-bot won't end up being a fun counter to every 'Mech being a 1 button poke-bot.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:59 PM

Disagree

#3 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

Disagree.

Dakka mechs are decent, but are ultimately beaten by laservomit or sniper mechs. The 4LBX10 ANH is good, but ultimately not as good as the 2 HGR ANH in most situations. This will help bring them closer to pairity.

#4 Eindridi

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:33 PM

The only way I can see this being an improvement in gameplay is if gameplay itself has devolved so far that the massively diminished player base is happy with change only for the sake of change, and no-one left harbors any expectation for the game to be anything more than one dimensional button mashing.

I play and watch other competitive games and see a huge variety of different "heroes" or "operators". I play and watch MWO and I see nothing but the same chassis and same builds repeated ad nauseam. Another patch where it seems MWO has embraced asymmetric balancing and just intends to keep the players distracted with FotM adjustments.

Please, explain how fairly significantly buffing a couple of top tier builds with negligible changes to everything else actually improves the game as a whole.

#5 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

Top... tier?

These buffs only affect some mid tier mechs, and even the upper-mid Anni will get nerfed next patch because the next assault Fafnir is coming out.

#6 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

View PostEindridi, on 16 March 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

I am all for improved balance and weapon choice diversity, but the new buffs will do nothing for underperforming builds and just make a few builds that are already strong significantly better.

Quad LB 10-X ANH absolutely destroys and it will be getting 10% more DPS, 6x AC/5 will just run cooler. Again and again the community has expressed its frustration at mechanics that encourage boat builds, and this buff further promotes boating, buffs builds that are already top tier, and does virtually nothing for lighter 'Mechs that can't boat.

Making every assault only viable as 1 button big deeps push-bot won't end up being a fun counter to every 'Mech being a 1 button poke-bot.

How is any weapon stat change going to do anything other than keep boats better than mixed sub optimal builds? You'd need buffs like... 15% more damage when it's the only lbx autocannon. or... 25% LBX cooldown when paired with lrm 10 weapon systems...

What it does is boost up weapons that are lackluster in direct competition, for instance LBX vs UAC

#7 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:26 PM

So your calling out 2x marginal IS daka builds which have very little utility. Yet your fine with MCIIb?

Don't worry brah, PGI isn't going to take your easymode away from you

#8 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

I wouldn't call it heavy handed.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:59 PM

Have you ever thought that maybe the issue is not with ballistics, but with the Annihilator? Posted Image

PGI had made a big mistake of nerfing Clan ballistics just cause of KDK-3. Lets not encourage such folly.

Edited by El Bandito, 16 March 2018 - 10:02 PM.

#10 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

Where have these buffs been said?

And i disagree op

#11 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

Hey.
Stop complaining about minor 1% buffs. In the grabs scheme of things, they literally mean nothing.

Laser vomit will still rule out. PGI is so freakig scared to tweak the game mechanics that they wont do more thab 1-3% tweaks in either direction. Please take your misplaced salt and alt-tab this forum plz.

#12 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:19 PM

Disagree.

Honestly, the Dakka Buffs ain't enough. Where's the RAC2 buffs? Why is LGR getting more range when it already has too much of it?

#13 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:22 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 16 March 2018 - 10:19 PM, said:

Disagree.

Honestly, the Dakka Buffs ain't enough. Where's the RAC2 buffs? Why is LGR getting more range when it already has too much of it?
becauss if racs were good mathmatically as they were advertised, then they would be so OP they would dominate on every single chassis with or without the spread.

#14 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:34 PM

View PostNovember11th, on 16 March 2018 - 10:22 PM, said:

becauss if racs were good mathmatically as they were advertised, then they would be so OP they would dominate on every single chassis with or without the spread.

But i wasn't calling for them to be effectively AC12s or AC30s, I wanted RAC2 to be buffed out of UP cause right now it sucks ***, although i never said that i wanted them OP either. That's all it was, that's not really hard to figure out is it?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 16 March 2018 - 10:34 PM.

#15 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:40 PM

Math my friend. It requires math.

#16 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

View PostNovember11th, on 16 March 2018 - 10:40 PM, said:

Math my friend. It requires math.

Are you serious? We've been doing math with RACs for a while now. We've discussed this with the Community-Driven Balance Update feedback. Math isn't on the side of RAC2, and so does it's actual performance out there.

You wanna try this again with math?

RAC2 does 0.8 damage, at 7.275 ROF and then 5.82 DPS, for 6s - 0.75s spin-up time. At 9.5s Jam-Dissipation, but 10s Jam Duration. That means shooting RAC2 responsibly would deal 30.555 damage with down-time of 9.5s with an effective 1.97129 DPS. Guess what, that's waaay worse than AC2 which weighs 2 tons less.

Now when shooting over redline with 0.037 jam-chance, or rather 3.7%, means it shoots extra 27.027027027027027027027027027027 shots, shoots for 3.7150552614470140243336119624779s longer, and deals 21.621621621621621621621621621622 extra damage, dealing a total of 52.176621621621621621621621621622 damage over 9.7150552614470140243336119624779s, and then jamming for 10s. And it does an average EDPS of 2.6465369196125725484284314464461s - which is still worse than the AC2, at 6 tons lighter.

You know what else? The RAC5 out-dps the RAC2, even with 3x RAC2 versus 2x RAC5s, where the 3x RAC2 is actually heavier.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 16 March 2018 - 10:59 PM.

#17 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:20 PM

6th. I dont know what your flustered about man but perhaps it was the fact that i did not finish that sentence with "PGI doesnt know how to do math." As i should have. I wasnt accusing you of being incapable of math, to the contrary, i think you are quite brilliant.

The situation requires maths. Not on our part, but that of the devs.

#18 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:24 PM

AC10s/LB10Xs were firing at near 1.1 per second prior to skill tree changes. Right now the best these changes do is make it 1.4ish second per shot with properly quirked and skilled mechs.

Let's not pretend this is bringing things back from where things were in the beginning.

#19 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:32 PM

i was running my 8xcac2 dire again. it was kicking buttocks. i guess on tuesday it gets to kick more buttocks.

that said totally disagree. anything that makes me kill more stuff with a fun mech is good.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 March 2018 - 11:44 PM.

#20 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:33 PM

View PostvisionGT4, on 16 March 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

So your calling out 2x marginal IS daka builds which have very little utility. Yet your fine with MCIIb?

Don't worry brah, PGI isn't going to take your easymode away from you

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users