Removing Barriers?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

How about in the spirit of removing barriers we stop having events that are QP or FP specific? Just $#!@ give the rewards regardless of what game mode we are in?

#2 Limitl3ss

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:02 AM

Agreed. If the problem is FP is so terrible for new players that allowing them to farm QP only keeps them from quitting the game, you could actually make FP better balanced and/or more meaningful. Just a thought.

Also in terms of barriers to new players playing FP... FFS give them 8 properly set up jack-of-all-trade mechs (4 IS, 4 Clan) for a nominal fee. Call it $10 or $20 USD... buying the base game so to speak... also the "Introduction to FP" pack as it were with some faction swag of their choice and 200 skill points to distribute how they like. This overcomes two barriers: 1) not having a noob-friendly drop deck they can build on quickly to start enjoying the game quickly, and 2) the huge time/money sink this game is now because you made mech progression ridiculously slow and expensive (like 25-75 matches to skill out 1 mech and having the skill points consume all of the new players' money in the process). Don't worry about the business case for that... people that got into the game from that strong start would spend a lot of additional money on the mechs owning them in QP/FP on the regular.

Edited by Limitl3ss, 17 March 2018 - 12:07 AM.

#3 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:31 AM

View PostLimitl3ss, on 17 March 2018 - 12:02 AM, said:

Agreed. If the problem is FP is so terrible for new players that allowing them to farm QP only keeps them from quitting the game, you could actually make FP better balanced and/or more meaningful. Just a thought.

Another thought, those 'new players' pay attention to the warning that they just clicked by.

"New player' problems in end game content solved with reading.

No sympathy for illiterate solo potatoes.

#4 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:55 AM

I'm less concerned with the new player issues. I'm just saying, if there's an event, as someone who prefers FP, I'd rather be able to do the event in faction play, and I'm sure people who prefer quickplay would prefer the same for themselves.

#5 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:41 AM

View PostDionnsai, on 17 March 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

I'm less concerned with the new player issues. I'm just saying, if there's an event, as someone who prefers FP, I'd rather be able to do the event in faction play, and I'm sure people who prefer quickplay would prefer the same for themselves.

And you can do it in CW, in 5 days.

Or would you prefer both to be running at the same time again and then we can read you complain about lack of CW drops 'cause everyone is in QP potato land?

I too HATE QP but I also know from history that lemmings will flock to the lowest common denominator.

Farm your loot bags now and then again in CW.

Take screenshots of all the 'pilots' that cannot make 100MS in CW too.

:)

#6 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:15 AM

My guess is that they are trying to concentrate the player numbers in each mode, so that there's a critical mass of players available at all times.

Ie. funneling players into the same bucket.

It's a shame the player population is so low that this kind of funneling is needed. It's the consequence of PGI churning out too many Mech Packs, at the expense of not enough focus on gameplay/modes/maps.

#7 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:55 AM

I have mixed feelings about funneling everyone into one bucket. Tried queuing for FP today and took almost an hour to make a 10ish premade, ghost dropped once and everyone scrambled off for QP. And mind you it is a Sunday where there are supposed to be a few drops going in a row. Logged onto my other account to play QP and I recognized half the names from FP in my games. They really need to work on FP, it has lost so much luster to the point where almost everyone disappears upon a QP event with decent rewards (MC/warhorns/MechBays/Mechs).

#8 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 18 March 2018 - 02:41 AM, said:

Or would you prefer both to be running at the same time again and then we can read you complain about lack of CW drops 'cause everyone is in QP potato land?

The "both" thing makes me think what I'm saying isn't being understood. I'm saying instead of having separate CW and QP, events, just ignore that aspect and let people play what they want. Have the event work for both sides, play the mode you want to play and get the boxes.

#9 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

View PostLimitl3ss, on 17 March 2018 - 12:02 AM, said:

Also in terms of barriers to new players playing FP... FFS give them 8 properly set up jack-of-all-trade mechs (4 IS, 4 Clan) for a nominal fee. Call it $10 or $20 USD... buying the base game so to speak... also the "Introduction to FP" pack as it were with some faction swag of their choice and 200 skill points to distribute how they like. This overcomes two barriers: 1) not having a noob-friendly drop deck they can build on quickly to start enjoying the game quickly, and 2) the huge time/money sink this game is now because you made mech progression ridiculously slow and expensive (like 25-75 matches to skill out 1 mech and having the skill points consume all of the new players' money in the process). Don't worry about the business case for that... people that got into the game from that strong start would spend a lot of additional money on the mechs owning them in QP/FP on the regular.

Kinda shocked to see you on forums but +1000 for this.

When I first joined HHoD and started down the road to CW preparation, I was lucky to be IS because the mastery bundles were such a good deal to get started. The guy starting off as Clan or Merc would have had a much tougher path.

As well I am willing to bet CW has the highest concentration of whales per capita in this games population. Getting folks a quick and dirty way to get into the mode which requires the most investment in the game would make sense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users