Example Of Pgi Short-Sightednes: Mechxp To Gxp Conversion

25 replies to this topic

#1 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

The truth is, very few people use actual MCs to do the conversion unless there's some events where they give you free stuff.

Most of the time, the Mech you have for four years is just sitting there collecting XP dust.

Reason is simple. MC is used for everything from color, decal, Mech, pattern, and etc. Mech XP conversion is probably the last thing on everyone's mind.

So it becomes painfully obvious that PGIs attempt to squeeze a few extra dollars is having very minimal effect on returning any profit. Here's what I would have done. Just make the conversion into another cbill sink. The less cbill people have on hand will mean either more playing time OR more real money transactions. It's really that simple.

Why frat over a few bucks when there are larger money to be had? In the end, all that created was an under utilized feature that personifys petty.

Do you think there should be another cbill sink to encourage f2p players to support the game more? Comment below

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:17 AM

This is one of the few C-Bill sink ideas I could support since it doesn't hurt the day-to-day experience of the player in the way that stuff like nerfing rewards or having consumables does.

#3 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:17 AM

PGI does give away a lot of MC though, so people can use those instead of spending moeny. PGI is also removing the re-spec cost in the upcoming patch so at least they easing the grind somewhat. As for using only C-Bills for GXP to XP grind, I doubt it will affect the veterans. Those who are already struggling to earn C-Bills might get shafted instead.

#4 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 March 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

PGI is also removing the re-spec cost in the upcoming patch so at least they easing the grind somewhat.

If I were to guess, it is being done in "support" of Solaris. They're doing anything and everything in what seems to me a desperate attempt to prevent that dinosaur from going still-born. Posted Image

However, assuming it's true, I still do not get this act of self-sabotage. <smh>

Edited by Mystere, 17 March 2018 - 09:24 AM.

#5 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

Every Online game company, making a similar game, does exactly the same as P.G.I, all they're doing is following an industry standard, for this type of product.

#6 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

View PostFupDup, on 17 March 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

This is one of the few C-Bill sink ideas I could support since it doesn't hurt the day-to-day experience of the player in the way that stuff like nerfing rewards or having consumables does.

I agree.

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 March 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

PGI does give away a lot of MC though, so people can use those instead of spending moeny. PGI is also removing the re-spec cost in the upcoming patch so at least they easing the grind somewhat. As for using only C-Bills for GXP to XP grind, I doubt it will affect the veterans. Those who are already struggling to earn C-Bills might get shafted instead.

Well, if you have MC what would you prefer to spend it on? XP for a mech that you could just play a few times to get the same XP and that you'll probably play at some point anyways? Or would you prefer to spend it on things that can only be gotten with MC like camo, decals, etc?

Obvious choice. Ain't nobody wanna spend real money unless they gotta, and they don't gotta spend it on XP.

View PostCathy, on 17 March 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

Every Online game company, making a similar game, does exactly the same as P.G.I, all they're doing is following an industry standard, for this type of product.

Most games have 2 currency types... but what games have 2 experience types?? This I actually have NOT seem in another game.

Edited by Gamuray, 17 March 2018 - 09:29 AM.

#7 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

Yeah, I would love to convet for c-bills.

And I think it would actually make at least some people buy more MC despite it sounds counterintuitively.

Right now I have about a hundred million and I dont spend them that much because I dont like grinding unskilled mechs, and therefore I dont need MC for mechbays. If I could skill up new mechs for imaginary space money, I'd bought more new mechs and therefore I'd need more MC for mechbays.

#8 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

View PostMystere, on 17 March 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

If I were to guess, it is being done in "support" of Solaris. They're doing anything and everything in what seems to me a desperate attempt to prevent that dinosaur from going still-born. Posted Image

However, assuming it's true, I still do not get this act of self-sabotage. <smh>

TBF, Flamers woulda been real cheesy, and not very entertaining.

View PostGamuray, on 17 March 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

Well, if you have MC what would you prefer to spend it on? XP for a mech that you could just play a few times to get the same XP and that you'll probably play at some point anyways? Or would you prefer to spend it on things that can only be gotten with MC like camo, decals, etc?

Obvious choice. Ain't nobody wanna spend real money unless they gotta, and they don't gotta spend it on XP.

Those free MC do not count as real money though, plus I had done hundreds of thousands of XP conversion using MC.

Edited by El Bandito, 17 March 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#9 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 March 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

That should've been an opportunity to examine the situation and think "Hmm, maybe there's an issue with the way that the weapon is designed" rather than outright banning them.

Especially when one of the Solaris Hero mechs comes stock with Flamers...

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

View PostFupDup, on 17 March 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

That should've been an opportunity to examine the situation and think "Hmm, maybe there's an issue with the way that the weapon is designed" rather than outright banning them.

Especially when one of the Solaris Hero mechs comes stock with Flamers...

You are asking too much of PGI. Flamers are situationally useful now, but once PGI try to change it, we might lose even that. Really don't wanna go back to the old useless flamers.

#11 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 March 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

You are asking too much of PGI. Flamers are situationally useful now, but once PGI try to change it, we might lose even that. Really don't wanna go back to the old useless flamers.

In group play, flamers have balancing negatives in that they don't deal damage to opponent mechs and anyone using a flamer can be hit by opponents' teammates. There are no such balancing mechanics in 1 v 1.

#12 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:32 AM

View Postvandalhooch, on 17 March 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

In group play, flamers have balancing negatives in that they don't deal damage to opponent mechs and anyone using a flamer can be hit by opponents' teammates. There are no such balancing mechanics in 1 v 1.

Yep, which is why I am fine with PGI simply banning them from Solaris.

#13 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:34 AM

If I had mc I'd get a better mech. At least I got two mechs with bonus. The wolf is my main money maker. Skemet is just when I want to go fast and die. Should have got the lct-pb instead. Next time maybe.

#14 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

I don't think it will affect new players at all. This is more of a measure to encourage whales and other f2p veterans to invest more into the game.

New players are not thinking of using CBILL to do GXP conversions. (in fact, they probably aren't thinking of conversion, PERIOD) If they have CBILL, they are using them on mechs, weapons, and other accessories. So in terms of giving additional option to convert MechXP to GXP, it will not impact them at all.

However, we do have players with tens or hundreds of millions of CBILLS and no revenue to spend them. MechXP can be summarized as time. Everything else can be bought. For those players, a fast track would be to skip the time for grind by using some of the MechXP they have stockpiled, used up some CBILL (remember, after conversion to GXP, you still need to spend MORE CBILL to buy the actual SPs). If CBILL is dried up, you have to play more, or spend real money, either way will benefit the community.

(more people playing and/or more money into this game developers)

And also, video game is an evolving organism with many models. There is nothing "standard." PGI can obviously continue to try to milk a few dollars here and there from MC/real money conversions, but the truth is, what I propose will give even BIGGER return. So the ultimate marketing decision is up to them, but to me, the answer is clear. One is simply better than the other. It has nothing to do with standardization or not.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

im almost to one million gxp. this event will probably push me over that point. i wont need to start dipping into it for mech leveling until long after the game dies. hell id love something like gxp->premium time conversion, or gxp->cbill conversion.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 March 2018 - 02:29 PM.

#16 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

View PostCathy, on 17 March 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

Hmmm minimal viable product?

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:38 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 March 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

I disagree. Stunlocking someone as you dismember them limb by painful limb seems entertaining enough for me. Posted Image

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 March 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

Well, for practical purposes, there is no difference between a useless weapon and a banned one. You can't do anything with either.

I'm talking about just Solaris, of course.

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 March 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

Yep, which is why I am fine with PGI simply banning them from Solaris.

I really cannot comprehend this player attitude of "allow XXX in mode A, but ban it in mode B". We either have it everywhere or we don't have it at all. Otherwise, let's just have pillow fights in all. <shrugs>

Edited by Mystere, 17 March 2018 - 05:43 PM.

#18 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

View PostMystere, on 17 March 2018 - 05:38 PM, said:

I really cannot comprehend this player attitude of "allow XXX in mode A, but ban it in mode B". We either have it everywhere or we don't have it at all. Otherwise, let's just have pillow fights in all. <shrugs>

The balance mechanic to flamer equipped mechs will be missing from Solaris. The mode will by necessity become nothing but flamer build versus flamer build. Boring.

#19 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:41 PM

View PostMystere, on 17 March 2018 - 05:38 PM, said:

I really cannot comprehend

Not big surprise. ;)

#20 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

Yeah not using my real life cash on those shenanigans.. No way in hell i'd convert even events i dont..

Edited by Samial, 18 March 2018 - 03:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users