I'm I The Only One That Thinks Paint Prices Are Way Overblown?

7 replies to this topic

#1 The Iron Player

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSkyrim

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

There's a TLDR at the bottom if you don't like lengthy posts. Anyway I recently wanted to paint my mech and went to paint it. I quickly realized that the money I was expecting to pay was a lot more than I wanted to pay. Let me explain the math and how it sounds to me. A single color that I want costs 1000MC it was "Basic Purple." I like purple so I said "why not?" saw how much it costs and said "I'll stick to basic green..."

For $6.95 I can get 1,625MC and my paint again is 1000MC. So that means every $0.004277 is 1MC that times 1000(my paint) is $4.277 So they expect me to pay $4.27 for a single color out of a whole pallet. On top of that there are other colors that are 500MC, who determines what paint is worth more? Why?

And some are even purchasable for c-bills, a very, very, small amount of paints. If I were to pay c-bills, my average c-bill income per match is 100,000-200,000 so let's give the benefit of the doubt to myself and say I make 200,000 average. The paint was somewhere around 1,500,000CB, that divided by 200,000 is roughly 8 matches.(that doubles if I only make 100,000CB btw) Sounds good, but let's talk about time: The average time of a match can vary a little so let's be generous and estimate 10mins a match from loading screen to ending scoreboard. 10x8=80 so 80mins. It would take me 80mins at 200,000 c-bills per match to make that up and that's if I play perfectly every time without losing.

So that means I either:
-spend 1.3 hours grinding without errors.(I didn't factor in errors btw but you can use your imagination or just say it'll take about 2.5 hours on a good day and this is for only one paint) or

-spend $4 a color in a set of nearly(I didn't count so this is an estimate) I'll say 90 colors that are from $4-2 dollars if I split it down the middle $4 for 45 and $2 for 45 that's still
$4x45=$180
$2x45=$90
$90+$180=$270
for all the colors not factoring in c-bill paints in which case you add both time and money or money and money if you buy c-bills.

TL;DR
Why don't we have paint packs yet? Or cheaper paints? They're just cosmetic items and they don't even benefit us. Actually, the sicker the paint on your mech the more visible you are anyway so it negatively affects those of us who need to be hidden. So why do we have to pay so much for things like "Basic Purple?" Even if it is for all our mechs that's still too much. You could say "only buy what you need" but that's only because the prices are super high so what gives?

Idk, maybe I'm too money conscious or something. But, am I the only one that thinks this?

#2 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

The steam performance packs contain 3 colors each (black/red/white in series one, black/red/orange in series 2) - that's one alternative way to aquire colors.

I've got to agree, color bundles would be nice to have.

Edited by Exilyth, 17 March 2018 - 06:05 PM.

#3 Lithology

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 141 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:49 AM

View PostExilyth, on 17 March 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

I've got to agree, color bundles would be nice to have.

Indeed, limited color bundles (say, 3 basic colors for 2M C-Bills, or 3 camo colors for 4M C-Bills, etc...) sounds like a sound way to get that 'market' moving. Unfortunately, most of the colors are available through MC purchase, or are acquired with Mech packs, both of which require some vestige of real money to exchange hands. Admittedly, it seems a bit out priced.

#4 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

Thats the main reason i bought the R2 pack, because it had 36 colours.

#5 Trog16

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

Funny, this is why I bought the R2 pack as well, mainly for the faction colors, and the mech bays are decent as well. I do feel as this line of thinking kind of validates PGI's money mentality. And to be clear, I am ok with the way they make the money, I don't actually feel like any 'real' content is behind a paywall. Most mechs, and 90% of the 'meta' mechs are buyable through C-Bills. Events provide enough MC to get bays from time to time.

And colors, are a pure luxury item, one I paid for, and still a luxury model.

TL:DR or a PGI Developer. I would love to have color bundles, or even 'Trial colors' that I could change my paints every couple weeks.

#6 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

I'm actually OK with the paint prices, mainly because you can use them on all 'mechs. Get a handful of them, and you can get all of your 'mechs in some nice custom paint. It doesn't work out expensive compared to other games.

MWO is also really liberal about handing out the premium currency (MC) as even prizes.

#7 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:21 AM

Wow, a lot of posts are getting moved to OT....... didn't see anything bad in this thread.........

#8 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

Anything you gotta spend MC hurts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users