Are Any Of The Mechs Currently On Sale Really Good?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:21 AM

As part of the currently ongoing event, a number of Mechs are currently reduced in cost. Are any of the Mechs really really good so I should try to buy them while they are cheap?

Aside from the Griffin, which I already own. ;-)

I am looking to stick with just 2 weapon types, one of which has to be Lasers (EDIT: I actually mean Energy. I need a damage source that does not run out of ammo. ;-) ). The other can be Missiles or Ballistic. And I am looking for Mechs that are fairly hard to kill, because I am not that good a player and I need any help I can get. ;-)

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 18 March 2018 - 04:42 AM.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:53 AM

There are two currently ongoing sales. The Trial By Fire sale that's ending shortly and the MRBC sale that just started.

MRBC sale deals with mechs that are commonly used in a competitive league... most of them are pretty good. If you want durable, then ones I can recommend are Battlemaster and Roughneck, both as laserboats. King Crab is extremely tough, but the low ballistic mounts can be a problem. Decent mix of ballistics with lasers though. If you're inclined to try splat builds instead, Cyclops and Bushwacker make great SRM boats.

From the Trial By Fire sale, Timber Wolf A is pretty nice. Put Prime arms on it and install 8 Medium Pulse Lasers in two groups of four (one for arms, one for torso), filling the rest of space with heat sinks and a Targeting Computer mk 1, and you have a pretty good mech right there.

Edited by Horseman, 18 March 2018 - 04:54 AM.

#3 Wolf McNish

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:33 AM

Define good, good for what?
QP?
FP?
What range? Brawler? Midranger? Long-Ranger? Sniper?
What role?

I mean for Siege Defense nothing beats a well placed Annihilator.

If you want a dedicated Brawler, go for an Orion IIC-A Stick 4 Clan-SRM-6+Artemis and an LBX-20 in there plus 4 tons of SrM Ammo and 3-4 tons of LBX-20 Ammo and a big XL, you will have an extremely deadly 75 Ton Brawler that moves close to 80 without speed tewak.

Violates your energy+Ballistics requirement though as it's Ammo-based. And it has pretty much no range, it's very situational, great for faction Play or any play on a city or other close range map.

Something like this:
https://mwo.smurfy-n...36088540efbf5e5

Might cost some money to rebuild though.I put the heatsinks in the legs to take advantage of pools of water if I come across them.

Edit:
Skill out the Survival tree and then atleast one point into Missile rack and both Missile High explosive skills and you will have enough ammo for a whole QP match and enough to do one hell of damage in a FP match.
Getting 6 kills and over 800 damage in a QP match is possible with this build if you know how to use it.
It also propped me up a lot when I was a new player in Faction Play and this mech was a Trial.
That was a trial to genuinely fear, and it gaven me my best kill FP games when I was a new player (3-4 kills).

However, extremely situational, if you're on arctic or Alpine Peaks without a team that wants to push, you're **** ouf of luck. Although you can make it work, if you have a LRMer team and the enemy wants to push at some time, you can act as good close quarters defense for your team. However that takes patience to not poke and loose armor.

I won't recommend any crit-Lynx build as they are enough of a pest already.

Edited by Wolf McNish, 18 March 2018 - 07:39 AM.

#4 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

Right now I have a good Light (Raven 3L), I have a Griffin 2 that is built as a short range brawler. I have a Warhammer 7S with Medium Lasers and MRMs.

So I am looking for IS Mechs that fill new roles beyond what I already have. Most of which is short range. So anything mid to long range would be great. I do not have any preconceptions on what roles to fill. I am currently just doing solo quick play, but want to be able to do faction play eventually, when I have enough competetive Mechs...

So any suggestions are welcome. A friend recommended the Blackjack 3, so I am looking into that one right now. But I may be able to afford more.

#5 Wolf McNish

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:44 AM

Good to hear, well I have a Blackjack build that is hillariously fun.....but maybe not the most sane and it's a Brawler! Posted Image

It's this little beauty:
https://mwo.smurfy-n...27d8f4a1a281288

Skill out Survival and Ammo Rack as the ammo is thight on this, and the BJ is a bit squishy.

My personal BJ-3 built, I removed two of the MLs for improved heat efficiency, I mainly use the MLs as backup weaponry at closer range, and with 4 MLs the BJ3 is a bit overtaxed.
https://mwo.smurfy-n...d06f5425a730d2e

Could replace them with ERSMLs though.

My Warhammer Sniper/Long Range Variant, 2 ERPPC, 4MLs (Backup weapons for a brawl)
https://mwo.smurfy-n...4e0ea93b35be313

Doesn't quite have the long range punch of some other variants, but has more flexibility and in a FP matches can change pretty quickly and don't tend to be a sniper fest.
In a close fight primarily use the Medium Lasers and the ERPPCs only when you are below 68% heat or you will shut down or take damage due to overheat if you override.

As close to my Midrange -7S Warhammer as I remember:
https://mwo.smurfy-n...384968f775d8f0a
Could maybe make it a 3 LPL....could be more heat efficient, maybe.
The 7S is also a good place to get the ERPPCs for the 6D Build from. Posted Image

My problems is similar I have a lot of Brawlers and not so many Long range mechs, mainly because my Unit brawls a lot.
If you want to go FP, the best idea is to tag along with a unit for a bit, you don't necessarily need to join, but being in a communicating group improves play by miles.
Rule number 1 for Faction Play and it should be for QP is: Communicate, Communicate, Communicate!

If you see an enemy mech, report it, if you see movement report it, if you attack an enemy report it, and lock him up so that you can see damage information, oh and if you see that on your screen, report it. Like if the Left Torso has no Armor and is cored.

The minimap is meh, and quite often your teammates might not see what you are seing.

Skill tree explanation:
http://metamechs.com...es/skill-trees/

#6 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 18 March 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

Right now I have a good Light (Raven 3L), I have a Griffin 2 that is built as a short range brawler. I have a Warhammer 7S with Medium Lasers and MRMs.
So I am looking for IS Mechs that fill new roles beyond what I already have. Most of which is short range. So anything mid to long range would be great. I do not have any preconceptions on what roles to fill. I am currently just doing solo quick play, but want to be able to do faction play eventually, when I have enough competetive Mechs...
So any suggestions are welcome. A friend recommended the Blackjack 3, so I am looking into that one right now. But I may be able to afford more.

Battlemaster and Roughneck. Blackjack BJ-1 is more of a sniper (rapid AC2 fire). Dragon 5N does mid-range dakka/lasers, decently XL-friendly but not a frontliner by any means (think of it as a tank destroyer rather than an MBT).

Edited by Horseman, 18 March 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#7 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

If you're looking to get into faction play, for

IS
you could get WHM/WHM/WHM/BSW

CLAN
you could get HBR/HBR/HBR/SHC

and build a midrange laser vomit dropdeck (info on builds can be found in the faction play subforum).

Edited by Exilyth, 18 March 2018 - 05:34 PM.

#8 DerHuhnTeufel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:43 AM

Arctic Cheetah is very solid. I'd pick up the Prime, personally.

I had enough fun with even the trial Orion IIC that I picked one up. Haven't played with it much yet but it was great.

Also enjoyed the Warhawk and King Crabs enough to pick them up, although the warhawk seems to have the magical ability to have everything hit it's CT. Solid energy sniper, though, and the KC is a great brawler.

I wouldn't pick up any of the IS trials outside of the crab, though.

#9 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:33 AM

All of the meds in the MRBC sale are top level mechs.

That said a bad build is a bad build... Been some bad builds posted already, unfortunately.

#10 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:46 AM

I picked up a Blackjack earlier today and seeing as I got a number of recommendations for the Roughneck, both in this thread as well as another thread about Heavy Mechs I did a while ago,I will pick up a Roughneck as well, as soon as I have earned the last 200K I am missing for that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess all I really need now is a long range missile boat. :) And then I am all out of Mech Bays. ;-)

#11 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 19 March 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess all I really need now is a long range missile boat. Posted Image And then I am all out of Mech Bays. ;-)
Depending on tonnage, you're either looking at a Trebuchet 5K/7M (depending on the exact build) at 50, Catapult C1 at 65, Archer (I'd say 2R, but I don't own any Archers yet) at 70 or Awesome 8R at 80.

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 19 March 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

I picked up a Blackjack earlier today and seeing as I got a number of recommendations for the Roughneck, both in this thread as well as another thread about Heavy Mechs I did a while ago,I will pick up a Roughneck as well, as soon as I have earned the last 200K I am missing for that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess all I really need now is a long range missile boat. Posted Image And then I am all out of Mech Bays. ;-)
Don't forget there's a 50% off sale right now, and an event that rewards MC.

Edited by Horseman, 19 March 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#12 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:56 PM

That sale and the event are how I managed to pay for the 3 Mech Bays and 2 Mechs. :) I won a couple of days of Premium Time which helped a lot, too. :)

But I won't have all that much time to play in the next few days. I often don't have time during the week. So I assume the next time I really can play will be on the weekend or maybe next week. It is also often fairly frustrating to play a new Mech, until it is all skilled up.

#13 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:41 AM

Severe lack of suggestions for Clan mechs... MCII-B is on sale, and the Dakka Cat is quite fun to play.

#14 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:58 AM

I am considering the Marauder llC-C,Mad Cat MKll-B,Ebon Jag B,and Hellbringer A,and Huntsman P. Any reason why I should not purchase the Clan Mechs/Omnimechs? I currently playing FP but want to try QP solo as a Clan player , just not sure which Clan.

#15 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:11 AM

The only thing you need to remember when using Clan mechs instead of IS, is you're going to die much faster if you don't keep at long range. Medium range is similar die time for both, close range you're not going to be any match for IS brawlers.

QP doesn't matter what Clan/House you "ally" with, you can use any mech you want. I suggest Diamond Shark though myself, at least until they put in Star Adder.

#16 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 20 March 2018 - 03:11 AM, said:

The only thing you need to remember when using Clan mechs instead of IS, is you're going to die much faster if you don't keep at long range. Medium range is similar die time for both, close range you're not going to be any match for IS brawlers.

Sadly incorrect, again.

IS Brawling is hotter than Clan Brawling.
Many Clan mechs have armour quirks and decent hitboxes.

Midrange is fine for Clan as well. I play in that 'range' most times I am on, no issues at all. IF you need to sit at long range to do well in Clan mechs, you simply don't know how to use them properly.

#17 Wulfe09

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:31 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 20 March 2018 - 06:35 PM, said:

Sadly incorrect, again.

Midrange is fine for Clan as well. I play in that 'range' most times I am on, no issues at all. IF you need to sit at long range to do well in Clan mechs, you simply don't know how to use them properly.

or theat player can ONLY play turretwarrior online. and therefore can't brawl at all.

#18 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Sadly incorrect, again.

Not really, you just don't like my opinions for some reason.

Heat is not the only limiting factor.

Nowhere near what the IS has for armor quirks, and not significantly different on the hitboxes.

I never said you couldn't do well at mid-range... I think you need to reread what I actually posted. Long range, you are more likely to survive longer than IS ON AVERAGE, ACROSS ALL CLAN AND IS MECHS. That is based on what PGI has said numerous times in the past, so it's not just me.

#19 Wulfe09

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:54 PM

acw-1 is on sale. 8csrm4. ff, endo, 110 kph+

#20 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 22 March 2018 - 05:58 PM, said:

Not really, you just don't like my opinions for some reason.

Heat is not the only limiting factor.

Nowhere near what the IS has for armor quirks, and not significantly different on the hitboxes.

I never said you couldn't do well at mid-range... I think you need to reread what I actually posted. Long range, you are more likely to survive longer than IS ON AVERAGE, ACROSS ALL CLAN AND IS MECHS. That is based on what PGI has said numerous times in the past, so it's not just me.

1. Your opinion is fine. Think whatever you want. Factually though, you are 100% in the wrong and facts matter when giving advice.

2. Well what does then?

3. Incorrect. Look at mechs like Linebackers, Orion IIC, Highlanders etc. Plenty of armour quirks and armour trumps structure. Also IS Meds need IS XL. IS XL dies from torso loss. cXL does not.

4. Again wrong. Just because PGI (mat or may not) have said something means little. They have proven time and again they don't understand the game to the level that higher end players do.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 22 March 2018 - 07:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users