#1 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

Hey there all!

We have Phase 2 of Lucky Charms coming up, and in anticipation of that, I was wondering if any of you out there have had any luck building some classically "Davion" oriented decks for FP that you'd be willing to share.

Bonus points for incorporating iconic or Davion exclusive mechs.

Thanks!

#2 Lyons De Flamand

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:21 AM

There's no points for bringing Lore mechs, do everyone a favour and bring meta

#3 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:47 AM

Have to second Lyons. Nobody will give you credit for bringing lore Mechs.That said Cyclops, Buswacker, Blackjack,Jagermech, Javelin, Wolfhound work well.Centurion and Enforcer probably, too.

#4 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:40 AM

Since the most classic IS succession wars mechs are all effed up beyond saving and you would bring custom builds that would never be seen in TT lore due to availability, expenses and the inability to afford or manage the keep up of your frankenmech just skip the "Davion, Steiner Kurita mech" stuff and use what works.

If you insist on such stuff use Jager Mech, MAD 5D/3R, WHM 6D, Bushwacker, Battlemaster, Wolfhound which are all Davi mechs you could use with some success.
2MAD 3R with ballistic layout and a Jager mech with ballistics and a Bushi will do for a cooler deck f.e.
BMaster, Whammy and Wolfhound for laser vomit.
Just build 3 decks for ranged, brawl and hot maps.

Edited by The Basilisk, 20 March 2018 - 04:55 AM.

#5 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:41 AM

View PostBlack Ivan, on 20 March 2018 - 03:47 AM, said:

Have to second Lyons. Nobody will give you credit for bringing lore Mechs.That said Cyclops, Buswacker, Blackjack,Jagermech, Javelin, Wolfhound work well.Centurion and Enforcer probably, too.

CP x2, BSW, JVN

Don't take lore build but those mechs above would make a decent drop deck, map/mode dictating anyways.

Most of the mechs in game currently can be taken "as Davion"

#6 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:24 AM

The Victor is pretty iconic for Davion, yes? My assault deck is 2 VTR-9S (AC/20, 3 ASRM6), 1 VTR-9A1 (3LBX10, 2 ERML), and 1 COM-2D. It works quite well.

#7 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for all the feedback!

And yeah, I recognize that "Davion-lore" mechs may not be entirely practical, based on current meta. So I'm certainly not hung-up on a deck having to be "strictly Davion". Just thought it might be cool to find the Davion-centric mechs that do fit the current FP meta.

Building and testing some mechs tonight for it. And yeah, Black Ivan's list looks pretty solid from a Davion perspective, and I do own all those, so it's a great starting point. Posted Image

Thanks again everyone!

#8 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

I like this for a few reasons and would like to find out what players would consider the single most iconic mech in each weight class for Davion.

Right at the moment these mechs may not be the single best option for a drop deck, but there are deeper reasons for identifying which mechs are linked to each faction. Builds do not matter, just the chassis or maybe the individual variant.

The question I would then ask is if these Iconic mechs were treated as being 5 tons lighter when determining drop deck tonnage for players aligned to that faction, would that increase the likely hood of players using them?

What if the Drop Deck tonnage was dynamically reduced based on how well your faction was advancing into enemy territory?
Would that lead to favouring these Iconic mechs?

Given mech sales are what keeps the game going, would that be a reasonable angle to consider for introducing 'Faction Lances' that come with the -5 ton bonus for drop decks and a faction related camo scheme (like special mechs)?

Where I see a big failing in FP is that we have over 400 individual variants in the game but only 8 of them are considered 'good' for the mode.
It would make the mode far more interesting if when we faced off against each other we knew to expect more of Mech W, X, Y and Z when facing a particular faction.

#9 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:54 PM

View PostLyons De Flamand, on 20 March 2018 - 03:21 AM, said:

There's no points for bringing Lore mechs, do everyone a favour and bring meta

oh man i would be so screwed if i brought lore mechs, Orion and Cicada are both FWL mechs and they stink....

#10 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

View Post50 50, on 22 March 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

I like this for a few reasons and would like to find out what players would consider the single most iconic mech in each weight class for Davion.

Right at the moment these mechs may not be the single best option for a drop deck, but there are deeper reasons for identifying which mechs are linked to each faction. Builds do not matter, just the chassis or maybe the individual variant.

The question I would then ask is if these Iconic mechs were treated as being 5 tons lighter when determining drop deck tonnage for players aligned to that faction, would that increase the likely hood of players using them?

What if the Drop Deck tonnage was dynamically reduced based on how well your faction was advancing into enemy territory?
Would that lead to favouring these Iconic mechs?

Given mech sales are what keeps the game going, would that be a reasonable angle to consider for introducing 'Faction Lances' that come with the -5 ton bonus for drop decks and a faction related camo scheme (like special mechs)?

Where I see a big failing in FP is that we have over 400 individual variants in the game but only 8 of them are considered 'good' for the mode.
It would make the mode far more interesting if when we faced off against each other we knew to expect more of Mech W, X, Y and Z when facing a particular faction.

Some sort of system like this would be awesome, provided there could still be an appropriate balance to the decks.

Would love to see the lore play a more prominent role in the game somehow.

I'd be way into it!

View Post_Comrade_, on 22 March 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

oh man i would be so screwed if i brought lore mechs, Orion and Cicada are both FWL mechs and they stink....

I don't have the Orions yet, but I do love my CDA-2A for QP. Not sure if it could be made viable for FP or not, but it does support laser vomit pretty well.

Marik has loads of "faction variants" for other mechs though...just about any 3050 or later tech with an "M" designation points to Marik (prior to that the letters had maybe a 50/50 chance of being faction indicators, and could just as commonly point to weapons platforms or battlefield roles or something).

BLR-3M Battlemaster for example.

#11 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:20 PM

Just found Magic Pain Glove's IS Drop Deck guide, and there are actually several excellent Davion options on there!

#12 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

Based off of Magic Pain Glove's list, I built the following FP deck, using the builds that are linked in the google.doc.

1). WLF-2
2). WHM-6R
3). WHM-BW
4). CP-S

I have arty equipped on the Whammies and the Cyke, and UAV on the Wolfhound. I figure I have decent strength in the 300-750 meter range and can pull out the Wolfhound if I need a bit faster/closer range.

Any feedback from the FP vets out there? Am I pointing this in the right direction, or could it be better tweaked? I really just copied MPGs builds, with a couple of minor alterations in armor allocation here and there.

#13 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:20 PM

Update, swapped out the WLF-2 for a WLF-GR I picked up with the sale. Max engine, ECM, 5 x ERML build on it.

#14 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:01 AM

So, what would be the most effective Davion themed deck one could build?

#15 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:14 AM

View PostExilyth, on 26 March 2018 - 07:01 AM, said:

So, what would be the most effective Davion themed deck one could build?

3 Hellbringers and a Shadow Cat! :D

#16 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:25 AM

Thinking about this some more, is there any place other than the MUL or sarna which lists the mechs which are in MW:O by faction?

I could name iconic chassis of most other factions, but for Davion I'm coming up blank.
Could anyone please provide a list of MW:O mechs used by/iconic for Davion?

View PostMovinTarget, on 26 March 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

3 Hellbringers and a Shadow Cat! Posted Image

You must be confused - theese are not the battledroids you're looking for.
*hand waving gesture* Posted Image

Theese are obviously three Warhammers and a Bushwalker. Posted Image

#17 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:28 PM

You know, I've always wanted to put one of those together for the player base to reference, and this just may be the prodding I need to work on it this weekend! Posted Image

#18 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:25 PM

I think this may be what you're looking for:

https://docs.google....#gid=1933748663

https://bg.battletec...hp?topic=1219.0

#19 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:29 AM

That's helpful, as is the MUL, but I've always thought it might be nice, especially for folks new to the lore, to have something that fleshes out the raw numbers with fluff.

Take the Locust for example. A Davion entry might look something like this.

Locust-

LCT-1V: One of the most commonly produced mechs in the Inner Sphere, fielded by all Houses and many mercenary units.
LCT-1E: "Energy" variant of the LCT-1V. Originated in House Liao space, but is also commonly fielded by House Davion, due to the spoils of the 4th Succession War.
LCT-1M: "Missile" variant of the LCT-1V. Most commonly fielded by House Davion.

And so on...

Sort of a hybrid MUL/Mini-Sarna middle-ground type document is what I'm thinking, tailored to each MWO faction, and posted for players to use if they want.

#20 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:55 AM

View PostRip Snorgan, on 22 March 2018 - 08:15 PM, said:

Thanks for all the feedback!

And yeah, I recognize that "Davion-lore" mechs may not be entirely practical, based on current meta. So I'm certainly not hung-up on a deck having to be "strictly Davion". Just thought it might be cool to find the Davion-centric mechs that do fit the current FP meta.

Building and testing some mechs tonight for it. And yeah, Black Ivan's list looks pretty solid from a Davion perspective, and I do own all those, so it's a great starting point. Posted Image

Thanks again everyone!

Try to take "Lore" Mechs and make them work, people like you try to keep this "A BATTLETECH GAME" and the "Only Meta" and "Screw Lore!" people just ruin this game. Really, though, Davion loves Dakka, so take Mechs that pack lots of A/Cs, like Jagers and such. The Enforcer is a very "Davion" Mech, although the rescale was not nice to it. Anyway, you can make "Lore" Mechs work.

Edited by Ed Steele, 28 March 2018 - 12:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users