- - - - -

Any Redeem Codes ?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Rebeldad

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:46 AM

Looking to learn the game and of course some free game time would be nice while figuring stuff out.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:01 PM

sorry but to the best of my knowledge there are none currently active.

if there is something to redeem you will usualy get an email in the email address you registered for your MWO with, they are also often advertised in the launcher, home screen and announcements forum.

there is usualy one at christmas, sometimes we get as many as 3 in a year, other years it is just the christmas gift, and the codes only stay active for a limited time.

#3 Rebeldad

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

Ok thanks for the reply

#4 N F X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 691 posts
  • Location48°52.6′S 123°23.6′W

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

All Codes are only active for a limited time. And unlike most other F2P Games there are no "Starter Codes" that give you x Premium Time, x Premium Currency and 1 Premium Vehicle/Mech/Whatever

Edited by N F X, 20 March 2018 - 12:19 PM.

#5 Rebeldad

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:13 PM

Another noob question .. I seem to have enough credits not mc to buy a mech.. but only see "Trial Mechs" to choose from. Do I need to play the one Mech they start me with to reach some achievement to buy mechs? Or am I just not seeing a button or option.. since hitting Select mech button shows me 4 mechs to choose from and one of them is the highlander I am on.
Why I ask was watching some vids and was trying to get to the suggested mech the Enforcer or Shadow. Thanks for any help

Edited by Rebeldad, 20 March 2018 - 01:15 PM.

#6 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:18 PM

You want to hit the store icon for purchasing mechs. Should be on the top right I wanna say. I think it's yellow. Gosh it's been a while since I logged ;o

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

View PostRebeldad, on 20 March 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

Another noob question .. I seem to have enough credits not mc to buy a mech.. but only see "Trial Mechs" to choose from. Do I need to play the one Mech they start me with to reach some achievement to buy mechs? Or am I just not seeing a button or option.. since hitting Select mech button shows me 4 mechs to choose from and one of them is the highlander I am on.
Why I ask was watching some vids and was trying to get to the suggested mech the Enforcer or Shadow. Thanks for any help

First double check when the videos were made... there have been some major changes last year, and guides from before June 2017 may no longer be relevant (particularly for IS mechs)

#8 Rebeldad

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:56 PM

View PostHorseman, on 20 March 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

First double check when the videos were made... there have been some major changes last year, and guides from before June 2017 may no longer be relevant (particularly for IS mechs)

Hmm well was figuring to get a medium mech.. got just of 6 mil creds.. any suggestions>?

#9 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

Bushwacker P1 or Griffin 2N, both are on sale right now and both are pretty good. Both come with Double Heat Sinks (which otherwise cost 1.5 million to install) and Endo-Steel structure (which on a 50-tonner would cost you 1/2 million to install).

Both are missile brawlers, although not quite the same in how they approach it. The Bushwacker would need an engine swap to Light 270 (which would cost another 3.3 million), so I'd probably advise the Griffin.

Enforcer 4P is still a reasonable option, and the stock config is pretty decent (again, DHS+Endo)

Hunchbacks are another option, although you'd pay through the nose for DHS, Endo and engine upgrade to LFE225 or better.

Edited by Horseman, 20 March 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

Wait to buy. Once you do 25 matches you will have a lot more.

#11 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

Rebeldad, I suggest you read a lot from the forums, as well as watch some Youtube videos about the game. One thing to take note of is that the forums search function isn't working (or working right, from what I've heard). Use Google if you want to search these forums for particular subjects, that's the advice I got. What I learned before even installing the game from doing that saved me a lot of headache and regret, but I do wish I'd done more homework before I started play and buying mechs. Even so, there's a lot to learn about this game, and there's not always a quick or easy answer for everything. Some stuff can be somewhat confusing at first, such as how ECM works, how to counter it, etc.

If you're thinking of buying a mech, do some research on it. Some mechs are better than others for various reasons, and not all of them perform the same. The first mech you buy may not feel right for you, so try out some trial mechs to see how they handle. The more you try to learn before just running straight into combat in a new mech, the better your experience will be.

#12 Rebeldad

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

ok thanks... yea guess i should play with training mechs for a bit first.. thanks

#13 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

Clan mechs are more expensive, but easier to start with. They don't need expensive upgrades out of the gate, and although they are not as tanky, they pack substantially more firepower.

#14 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:21 PM

Don't buy a mech right off the bat. Find out how you like to play with the trials first. Light mechs on the is side are dirt cheap at first but you need to add on an xl for max speed and usually endo steel and double heat sinks which adds up to about half the mech's cost. Use the trials to find your 'play style.' If you like to use a lot of guns and lasers buying a mech with a lot of missiles for your first buy would really be a drag.

You lose roughly 50% the value of a mech if you have to sell it off. If you used mc to buy a mech and sell it off you get no mc back. For weapons,engines and pretty much every thing else stockpile it as much as possible. You might want it for a build later. One of the best things about IS mechs is engine swaping. Using the same XL/lfe/std engine between mechs is a huge money saver.

Use smurfy's to test out mechs and builds. It uses the data from the game so it's pretty up-to-date. https://mwo.smurfy-n...chlab#modified.

The shadow hawk is a good starter mech as is the hunck back. The hbk's will teach you to torso twist a lot and are good for big acs. Hawk is 5 tons bigger and has jump jets.

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:06 PM

before buying anything I strungly recomend finishing the tutorial (awards 5 million cbills) and the first 25 matches (for 12 million + match earnings, at which point you would have at minimum 18 million.

you can purchase Mechs for 6 million but you will then need some money left over to upgrade the Mechs, there are few Mechs which are ready to go when purchased, Omnimechs (most Clan Mechs) will likely want some adjustment to armor qualtities and weapon loadout, Battlemechs (most IS Mechs as well as the IIC and Piranah, Super Nova and Kodiak Clan Mechs) are likely to want at least 1/2 the purchase price in upgrades, many Light Battlemechs total cost of getting them ready for battle is 3 times the initial purchase price so as Koniving said use Smurfy's Mechlab to check out builds, it can also help with pricing them up although it does not include prices for Light Fusion or Clan XL Engines

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 21 March 2018 - 02:00 AM.

#16 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:22 AM

Not sure if there's an easily found thread with quick tips, but one would be nice if not.

Endo-steel internal structure and Ferro Fibrous (and Light FF) will save you weight at the cost of critical slots where you put weapons, ammo, equipment. Neither add extra HP to mechs. Endo-steel is a better deal, cheaper.

Inner Sphere (IS) XL engines can be destroyed by taking out a side torso. Clan XL engines can survive one, but not two, side torsos being taken out. Light Fusion Engines (LFE) act like Clan XL engines, where you can survive losing a side torso, but aren't as light as Clan XL. When a mech with Clan XL engine or IS Light Fusion Engine loses a side torso, they lose some speed.

Twist and shout. Torso twisting can help spread damage across multiple hitboxes. This can be used to keep damage from being concentrated in one spot when hit. When you shoot an enemy that is clearly going to shoot you back, fire and twist to one side or another to spread incoming damage. Some mechs can get away with twisting a little, some are better twisting a lot. It depends on the size and location of arms, as well as the size of side torsos. Some mechs are better at spreading damage with just a little wiggle side to side, some have large arms that can protect torsos when twisting a lot.

Use terrain and mobility to your advantage. It's usually not a good idea to sit in one spot for too long. Your team may keep moving, leaving you behind, or someone might be waiting for you to pop up again in the same spot from behind a hill / ridgeline so they can let you have it.

A little communication can go a long way, even if it's just the in-game radial messages. A headset with mic is a great asset, but don't spam voice chat, especially when your team is in combat. Simple messages, keep it short and direct to avoid distracting teammates.

Pay attention to your mini-map at bottom-center of your HUD. It not only shows where your teammates and your lance are, it can also indicate where enemy mechs are. If you use the Seismic Sensor skill(s), it will indicate where enemies are near you. The HUD also has a compass at the top with indicators for targeted enemies, capture locations, enemy UAVs, etc.

Heat management can be like playing a musical instrument...it can be an art. Between firing weapons, using jumpjets, and the environment, your heat can build up and cause you to shut down. You can override automatic shutdown, but doing so can cause internal damage to your mech, or kill you outright. Using Coolshot consumables, standing in water, standing in certain spots on different maps can cool you quicker. Switching to chain-fire to keep firing while hot will let you keep hitting the enemy in those critical moments where you can't group-fire.

Watch those heat penalties when using group-fire. There's something called Ghost Heat that will cause weapons to put off extra heat when too many of the same weapon are fired at once. A special Ghost Heat consideration was made to link weapons in the PPC family with Gauss and Heavy Gauss. Firing either two PPCs and a Gauss Rifle, or two Gauss Rifles and a PPC will result in a heat spike. You can avoid heat penalties by waiting half a second to fire weapons that would otherwise cause a heat penalty. If you have 3 PPCs, you can fire two initially, wait half a second, and then fire the third (or vice versa) to avoid Ghost Heat penalties. Not all weapons have same duration when fired. You can fire two Large Lasers, wait half a second, and then fire two Large Pulse Lasers to avoid Ghost Heat, but the duration of the two types will end about the same time.

Those are a few tips that might come in handy to a new player.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:56 AM

Good luck. Not gonna spam you with info until you're ready for it.

Some methods for kills:
Destroy the legs. One leg - No more speed. Two legs - Dead.
OR
Aim for the center; won't matter what kind of engine they have if they don't have a spine to hold it together.

#18 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

I'm going to strongly disagree with an above poster. Do not start with a Hunchback or Shadow Hawk. Both of them have limited options for weapons and speed. Clan mechs have less armor, but the higher base speeds are much more forgiving because you have the ability to get out of a bad situation instead of being stuck there.

The first Clan mech I bought was a Mad Dog, and it was a breath of fresh air after my Hunchback and a couple of other IS slugs.

#19 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

View PostJonathan8883, on 21 March 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

I'm going to strongly disagree with an above poster. Do not start with a Hunchback or Shadow Hawk. Both of them have limited options for weapons and speed. Clan mechs have less armor, but the higher base speeds are much more forgiving because you have the ability to get out of a bad situation instead of being stuck there.

The first Clan mech I bought was a Mad Dog, and it was a breath of fresh air after my Hunchback and a couple of other IS slugs.

I need to agree here, and I really like Hunchies and Shadow Hawks (about a thousand games in the latter...).

Shadow Hawks are these generalist which are a great basic 'mech in a tabletop BattleTech context, but I'm not sure that really translates to this game. They are simply not very easy to make work well here.

The rather unusual SHD-2K variant gets a pass because it has a focused hardpoint selection (3M 3E) with fantastic placement (everything on shoulders). You can do pretty nice mid-to-long range laser boats or SRM+ML brawlers with that variant.

I could agree with the suggestion of Hunchback BACK WHEN when we had to level up 3+ variants to get all skills. In that context Hunchies gave you lots of different flavours (LRM, laser and ballistic boats, SRM+laser brawlers) to try within one chassis.

#20 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:54 AM

View PostRebeldad, on 20 March 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

ok thanks... yea guess i should play with training mechs for a bit first.. thanks

Note though that the second half of the loot bag event is going to be in faction play. Because you've chosen Clan Ghost Bear I'd suggest that before the current sale expires you buy the Huntsman HMN-P to use as your faction play mech.

A 'splat' Huntsman is probably going to be your best bet at using the Faction Play scouting mode to get your faction play loot bags. It will be difficult as you'll be going up against tier 1 players (though all tiers mixed in since every level of player will want to get their loot bags and scouting mode is a quicker way to do it) but a splat Huntsman can deal a lot of damage very quickly, giving you the best chance at a match score of over 100.

Just group up with your team and shoot at what they shoot at until either your team is dead or the enemy is dead.

Edited by Ruccus, 21 March 2018 - 07:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users