Solaris-7 Again Wrong Direction?

113 replies to this topic

#1 Abisha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

I don't know from the info page we have it states is basic a arena 1 o 1 or 2 vs 2.
https://mwomercs.com/solaris-7

I dont know if people really ask for this, consider i only speak for my self but i think that's not what i seek ingame i think Pgi again invested effort again in the wrong direction at least i see what they try to do is make MWO (Esport) type of investment which is i think bit stupid not only do the small player base but also Esport in general.

i think they should have invested their effort on content and NO not more mechs.
but more the RPG side more customization, crossover tech etc.

aye, or nay?

#2 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

Asking them to stop making mechs. Is asking them to stop making money. It IS NOT going to happen.

As for Solaris. I think that with MW5 coming out they're doubling down on the idea of MWO as PVP and MW5 as PVE. And since FP requires 3 months of development for even simple changes, they're likely hoping Solaris will become the new flagship feature of MWO.

#3 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

For the playerbase. Yep. It's a niche mode in a niche game. But then FP has also become a niche mode. Which one is probably less of a pain to develop? If only they could work out the code for free for all. Then I think even I would be down to play it.

#4 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

I’m stil trying to figure out who asked for it?

#5 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

View PostImperius, on 21 March 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

People who sucked at league play in MW4 and preferred shooting bots, although we did have 2v2 drops available in MWA, BZ4, VL and of course "FFA" and 2v2 ladder in MWL.

Edited by McGoat, 21 March 2018 - 11:21 AM.

#6 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

View PostMcGoat, on 21 March 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

People who sucked at league play in MW4 and preferred shooting bots
[...]

I prefer PvE ("shooting bots"), and will probably not play Solaris. Please don't make such broad generalizations.

We should all give the game mode a fair chance, and then drop it if we don't like it.

Edited by Fox the Apprentice, 21 March 2018 - 11:24 AM.

#7 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:09 PM

From a player who's team, which participated in WAR!ONLINE and NBT, left the game and is currently on Planetside 2: I asked for and will be playing Solaris...depending on it's implementation. Too little info right now, especially about the divisions, to make that call.

#8 Old dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

I would be very interested in a 1v1 gamemode but only if the game mode and rules to win provide interesting options and depth to the gameplay. If its just a plain deatmatch i dont see any additional value in it over the 12v12 deathmatch modes we already have.

#9 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

While I may not agree with all of PGI's development decissions, I kind of see the logic of what they are doing. One of the failings of FW is the lack of players who will volunteer to experience the fun of playing against competitive teams. Also a small supply of teams ( in relationship to the total player pool) slows match setup and speed of obtaining a new match. Individuals and smaller units find the seal clubbing treatment off putting, but would like to test the waters of competitive play. Solaris, if (and that is a big if) done correctly, may offer one solution to the above mentioned problems by offering utalization of 1 and 2 man teams and offers a new venue/style for e-game exploitation. MW5 finally offers the PvE player what they have been looking for such a long time: alone time and guarenteed beatable opponets. ( I'm looking forward to MW5,too.)

#10 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,474 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

I think it's cool for MWO to have a ranked duel mode and I hope Solaris comes out well and is fun to play, actually I think it's pretty important for the future of the game that it succeeds.

I'm as salty about the Community Warfare travesty, weird balancing and other bad things PGI has done as anyone, but I don't feel the need to put down Solaris because of that. I feel like there is a lot of baseless doom and gloom about this.

A multiplayer BT game should have a Solaris mode as well as a good Community Warfare mode.

Duels can be great fun and a good way to practice some of the finer details of combat, I'm gonna give it a fair chance for sure.

#11 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:32 PM

I'm looking forward to Solaris, at least a little. It will be fun. 12v12 QP is basically just a lottery to see who has fewer bad players on their team, and 12v12 FP isn't much better.

#12 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:33 PM

I love Solaris in concept ... It takes the proven aspect of MWO, an arena shooter, and scales it down a bit (1-vs-1, 2-vs-2). We get a bunch of new maps. It doesn't need a big population to run so the pitfall of FW is not there. It connects MWO with the lore.

My major issue I'm on the fence about -- I'm not sure 1-vs-1 or 2-vs-2 is just that interesting, in terms of gameplay. Will the games be interesting, non-repetitive, and will we see a variety of 'mechs and builds? I guess we'll see.

#13 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:41 PM

Sadly, too many.

Remember the line up to try it out at MechCon '17, you know the one that went into the eating area....

#14 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

You will only ever have a tiny fraction of players interested in comp play regardless of what you do.

Solaris will likely in up with a population in between FW and group queue. Most people will realize how much more restrictive it is and how big the skill gaps are both in the mech bay and in the match and go back to a mode where they can blame teammates for their losses.

#15 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:41 PM

View PostOld dirty B, on 21 March 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

I would be very interested in a 1v1 gamemode but only if the game mode and rules to win provide interesting options and depth to the gameplay. If its just a plain deatmatch i dont see any additional value in it over the 12v12 deathmatch modes we already have.

Given that QP game modes are nothing more than different flavors of deathmatch, why do you expect, of all things, 1v1 Solaris to have more depth beyond being another deathmatch mode? Posted Image

#16 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

View Postjss78, on 21 March 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

I love Solaris in concept ... It takes the proven aspect of MWO, an arena shooter, and scales it down a bit (1-vs-1, 2-vs-2). We get a bunch of new maps. It doesn't need a big population to run so the pitfall of FW is not there. It connects MWO with the lore.

My major issue I'm on the fence about -- I'm not sure 1-vs-1 or 2-vs-2 is just that interesting, in terms of gameplay. Will the games be interesting, non-repetitive, and will we see a variety of 'mechs and builds? I guess we'll see.

How interesting would Solaris really be if most fight play like the the last sword fight scene in Sanjuro? Posted Image

Now if it were to be played like the Black Knight scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail ... Posted Image

#17 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,652 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:49 PM

I believe many who asked for it was expecting it to include have different number of mechs/game in a true FFA every man/woman for him/herself.

#18 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

yeah unless it includes FFA im not remotely interested. FFA on the other hand would be awesome id spend a lot of time playing that, though someone mentioned its outside of PGIs coding ablilty so likely wont happen

#19 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:10 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 21 March 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

Asking them to stop making mechs. Is asking them to stop making money. It IS NOT going to happen.

As for Solaris. I think that with MW5 coming out they're doubling down on the idea of MWO as PVP and MW5 as PVE. And since FP requires 3 months of development for even simple changes, they're likely hoping Solaris will become the new flagship feature of MWO.

I've said it before, but they should just fold the QP up into Solaris as an 8v8 option. So when you launch MWO, everything is Solaris and uses the Solaris system, including the larger drops. So you can play the smaller 1v1 or 2v2 brackets, or play the larger 8v8 bracket.

#20 xRatas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 514 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

I still hope we get 4v4 solaris in future. It would be verh good size for competitive play, forming teams would be reasonably easy and would offer a lot of different rulesets with weight classes. Integrate scouting to FP invasion objectives and remove that as a separage mode to not compete against each others.

1v1 is good format too, but 2v2 is a bit limiting in it's scope. 1v1 and 4v4 would be the formats I'd do. Then we wouldn't split queues much more than they are split now.

1v1, 4v4, 12v12 and FP would be more than enough of selection for current playerpool. Might even consider integrating 12v12 quickplay with FP somehow at that point.

Edited by xRatas, 21 March 2018 - 03:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users