Best Clan Lrm Boat?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Torothin

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

Im.thinking the Mar Dog but im.not sure. What's the best heavy for LRMs?

#2 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

In the Heavy class, Mad Dog, Nova Cat B, Nigh Gyr D and Timberwolf D and S all have been popular platforms for LRMs and ATMs.

The Mad Dog A and Nova Cat B gives you 6 Missile Hard Points stock.

#3 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:54 AM

Add the ON1-IICs to the list. Your missile hardpoints maybe fixed (max.4 on ON1-IIC-A), but nothing else is. The ability to drop or raise engine rating, add or remove endo and ferro goes a long way to maximizing your weapon loadout.

#4 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

Really, and clan robot can use LRMs, especially if you are gonna sit in the back and let others do the work.

But if you really make LRMs work, you need some speed and to be sneaky, use a KitFox.

Stay 300-400m away from the frontline, get angles, and LRM opponents who are too busy to notice you. Use a TAG as well.

#5 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

Highlander llC has plenty of missle hardpoints and jjs. Just my $.02.

#6 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

Mad Dog Prime with 2 LRM 20s with artemis upgrade along with 4 small pulse lasers and CAP.

The high cockpit allows you to peek over cover and get a lock without exposing much of your mech so you don't get noticed and can get your own locks. The small pulse lasers in the arms let you shoot at light mechs that come to get you, potentially running them off so that you can use your LRMs against them as they try to escape. Due to having 40 LRMs firing at once with no ghost heat you can punch through AMS without much problem.

Mad Dog has good speed to stick with the team and is generally slightly faster to help it reposition, unlike assault mechs or the Nova Cat/Night Gyr. At the same time it holds a respectable payload that is heavily boosted by the omnipod set quirks so that your LRM20s are practically LRM25s.

I wouldn't recommend anything else over the Mad Dog for LRM boating on clan side. You can even swap over to dual ATM12s if you find that yourself in the 120-300m range bracket more often than not.

#7 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:47 AM

From actual recorded damage comparisons, the C-LRM15+A are better than the 20+A in actual practice. LRM60 with two fire groups are extremely powerful when fired properly, and makes everything run and hide very fast.

And I second the Orion IIC as a good LRM mech. I loaded mine based off my MCII-2 design, and it worked out to -200 damage and -100 match score from what the MCII was getting. (and that was in the 600/500 ranges)

Edited by BTGbullseye, 20 March 2018 - 02:49 AM.

#8 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:01 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 20 March 2018 - 02:47 AM, said:

From actual recorded damage comparisons, the C-LRM15+A are better than the 20+A in actual practice. LRM60 with two fire groups are extremely powerful when fired properly, and makes everything run and hide very fast.

And I second the Orion IIC as a good LRM mech. I loaded mine based off my MCII-2 design, and it worked out to -200 damage and -100 match score from what the MCII was getting. (and that was in the 600/500 ranges)

The buffed LRM20s to have the same spread as LRM15s though. Your data may be skewed by damage gotten prior to that buff.

#9 Wulfe09

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:53 AM

View PostTorothin, on 18 March 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

Im.thinking the Mar Dog but im.not sure. What's the best heavy for LRMs?

MDDA can also do 6csrm6+a splatdogging.

or 4cerml 4csrm6+a combi splatting

or 4cerml 2clrm20+a missile raining

#10 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 20 March 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

The buffed LRM20s to have the same spread as LRM15s though. Your data may be skewed by damage gotten prior to that buff.

It would seem so from what the devs say, but the reality is that more missiles actually hit on average with the 15s AFTER that patch, still. If that changes, I would be very happy.

#11 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:40 PM

Mad dog is medicore, and Night Gyr requires taking other weapons which don't compliment the LRMs. Timber Wolf has too little tonnage. Nova Cat is better than these.

Summoner is a bit lacking of tonnage but it has nice spread quirks with 5 missile hardpoints, it's a bit of curiosity but it can have it's own way. I guess Orion IIC can be good, it has tonnage, decent hardpoints and it can take perfectly sized engine, don't have experience with that myself. I hope most people won't even consider Hellbringer with LRMs, same thing with Ebon.

Outside of heavies there's Artic Wolf with 9 missile hardpoints, great for 9xLRM5, and classic Warhawk B for 4xLRM15 plus 4 med pulse. I would rate Warhawk much over Supernova A, but it's there as well. Definetly recommend Warhawk over Supernova though. Absoltely never consider Highlander IIC B for lurming.

#12 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 25 March 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

Mad dog is medicore, and Night Gyr requires taking other weapons which don't compliment the LRMs. Timber Wolf has too little tonnage. Nova Cat is better than these.

Summoner is a bit lacking of tonnage but it has nice spread quirks with 5 missile hardpoints, it's a bit of curiosity but it can have it's own way. I guess Orion IIC can be good, it has tonnage, decent hardpoints and it can take perfectly sized engine, don't have experience with that myself. I hope most people won't even consider Hellbringer with LRMs, same thing with Ebon.

Outside of heavies there's Artic Wolf with 9 missile hardpoints, great for 9xLRM5, and classic Warhawk B for 4xLRM15 plus 4 med pulse. I would rate Warhawk much over Supernova A, but it's there as well. Definetly recommend Warhawk over Supernova though. Absoltely never consider Highlander IIC B for lurming.

What about the StormCrow on the medium end?

#13 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 25 March 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

But why would you recommend a Warhawk over a Supernova? The Supernova generalyl has 4 ALRM20s and 4 MPLs while the Warhawk is stuck with just 4 LRM15s with no artemis and the 4 lasers. Also what's mediocre about the Mad Dog for LRM boating? Its pretty much the best quirked Clan heavy for LRMs and fits loadouts for them very well, the high mounted cockpit and good speed allow it to ridge peek extremely well to get its locks without being spotted.

#14 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:18 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 22 March 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

It would seem so from what the devs say, but the reality is that more missiles actually hit on average with the 15s AFTER that patch, still. If that changes, I would be very happy.

After further testing, it may be that it was a temporary thing... Seems if I switch my loadout any, (causing a new loadout save) those 20's start hitting at the same rate as the 15's.

#15 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 25 March 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

What about the StormCrow on the medium end?

View PostExilyth, on 17 March 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

I've been having some fun in QP with the following build:

SCR-D
3x A-LRM15 (torsos)
5x ER-SML (arms and head - alternatively: TAG in head)
season with armour and ammo to taste (I have full armour and ~6t ammo on mine)

That being said, if you can not bring either more than 45dmg/salvo or more than 6t ammo or more than the equivalent of 5x ER-SMLs as backup weapons, you're most likely better off not boating LRM on your mech.

There are exceptions, but they're rare.

Edited by Exilyth, 26 March 2018 - 07:40 AM.

#16 Torothin

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:50 AM

Thanks all after debating between the Orion or Mad Dog A. I decided to go with the Mad Dog A. It was a very tough choice though!

#17 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:22 AM

View PostTorothin, on 27 March 2018 - 04:50 AM, said:

Thanks all after debating between the Orion or Mad Dog A. I decided to go with the Mad Dog A. It was a very tough choice though!

Did you know that MDD´s make for quite good directfire (2LPL+Gauss, UAC10+3ERM+2SRM6, etc. etc.) carriers as well ? Those arms are made to side-poke around houses, hills and friendlies .

While I still say that a good LRM pilot can have it´s uses (while being selfsufficient^^) I rather advise against sticking to only-LRM mechs .

Have fun with that MDD Torothin :)

#18 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:26 AM

The best Clan LRM boat is the one that is the easiest to die to my ERLL BLR :)

#19 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:56 AM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 25 March 2018 - 08:15 PM, said:

But why would you recommend a Warhawk over a Supernova? The Supernova generalyl has 4 ALRM20s and 4 MPLs while the Warhawk is stuck with just 4 LRM15s with no artemis and the 4 lasers. Also what's mediocre about the Mad Dog for LRM boating? Its pretty much the best quirked Clan heavy for LRMs and fits loadouts for them very well, the high mounted cockpit and good speed allow it to ridge peek extremely well to get its locks without being spotted.

Yes comparing Warhawk with 4 med pulse,4xLRM15 with about 2k missiless to Supernova with 4 med pulse, top engine and 4xLRM20A and little more missiless.( I cant remember exact amounts, maybe 1700 for Warhawk and 2k for Supernova) Based on 400 and 200 games Warhawk wins clearly more. It's the speed though I don't know why, because I'm not usually left behind with Supernova still.

Mad dog just feels medicore because better alternatives, in particular it's tonnage is low. I don't think the quirks help much because they restrict the use into 2x20.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 28 March 2018 - 01:58 AM.

#20 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:54 PM

Please don't boat LRMs, all those mechs being named above can do so much better with other weapons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users