Ac20 Ghost Heat

17 replies to this topic

Poll: Ac20 Ghost Heat (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Remove AC20 Ghost Heat?

1. Yes (61 votes [76.25%])

Percentage of vote: 76.25%

2. No (19 votes [23.75%])

Percentage of vote: 23.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guile Votoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:45 PM

Remove ghost heat on dual A20s.
There's no real reason for it as the weapon is hot enough on its own and you can only carry two on a handfull of mechs anyways which are hurt by the ghost heat too much, like the King Crab.

#2 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:47 AM

Justification for dual-AC20 ghost heat disappeared by introduction of ThunderWub and its 42pts alpha every 2.4 seconds. And that was years ago.

#3 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:55 AM

I guess the worry here then would be builds that can do 2x AC20 + 2-3x SNPPC doing 60+ PPFLD, but the ANH can already do 80 pt alphas with HGR / ERML builds, so I don't know if that would be that scary.

#4 DisasterTheory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

Dual Canon mechs are fun but thanks to ghost heat not every effective. Get rid of it.

#5 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

In Quick play at least I've found them to be good. If your just poking out, dual firing them is not that big of a deal. If you're wading out of cover into a fight. Waiting the .5 seconds between shots is worth it for keeping your heat low enough to stay in the fight. Plus it gives LBX20s a reason to exist, since they don't have ghost heat and they're cooler.

Edited by MechaBattler, 17 April 2018 - 10:50 AM.

#6 milz

Rookie

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 9 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:26 AM

Especially with LB20X being not affected by GH for '20 caliber ballistics. Dual AC/20 needs to be cleared of that ********.

#7 PobbestGob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:48 AM

And if PGI isnt willing to remove it entirely at least reduce it. the heat penalty is 4 times that of weapon itself Posted Image?

#8 MechanicalWraith

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

Ghost heat is bad. Period. Even the mention of it nauseates me because there are so many more BattleTechy ways to fix the 'problem' without creating a whole new convoluted band-aid.

I vote yes, remove AC-20 ghost heat.

Then I move that all ghost heat be replaced with ghost-cockpit-shake and all weapon limits reduced, to reduce pin-point damage across the board and promote more mixed builds.

#9 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

Ghost heat should be reduced then applied to all weapons equally at all times, using a simple exponential formula to calculate ghost heat using the number of weapons fired in the last 0.5 seconds, including weapons fired at the same time.

#10 SquishiestSquish

Rookie

• The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:15 AM

2 major points

1 UAC 20s should keep the ghost heat BECAUSE an alpha of 80 that fast would be insane

2 if regular AC20s have ghost heat then why the **** doesn't dual heavy Gauss?

#11 Nathaniel Hazen

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB, Canada

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

Pinpoint alphas with other builds that avoid ghost heat get high enough already that dual AC-20 isn't broken. At LEAST up the max to 2 before ghost heat kicks in.

#12 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

Dual HGauss rendered the ghost heat excuse for AC20's invalid. It's now just there for no reason.

#13 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:33 AM

As powerful as 2xhgauss is, it still comes with the downside of requiring a standard engine and being extremely easy to destroy once the torso armor is open. It also has a considerably slower rate of fire with the slower cycle time and charge mechanic. Double AC20 is almost as powerful in raw damage and has none of these downsides. I would rather double heavy gauss be nerfed in some way than see double AC20 be buffed.

#14 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:25 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 21 July 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Dual HGauss rendered the ghost heat excuse for AC20's invalid. It's now just there for no reason.

Its actually the opposite. Dual AC20 having ghost heat is the reason that HGauss should have ghost heat too. Both Dual HGauss and AC20 should have ghost heat.

PGI wants to move in a direction that limits the size of alphastrikes. So they need to limit Gauss/HGauss, not delimit AC20.

however both heavy gauss and ac20 should be significantly buffed to be better as one-of weapons. but firing two of them at a time should spike your heat considerably.

Edited by Khobai, 05 September 2018 - 11:31 PM.

#15 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:32 AM

View PostKhobai, on 05 September 2018 - 11:25 PM, said:

Its actually the opposite. Dual AC20 having ghost heat is the reason that HGauss should have ghost heat too. Both Dual HGauss and AC20 should have ghost heat.

O Christ sakes **** off now. That's most retarted justification of all times wanting GH for something because something else has it.

#16 IshanDeston

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:00 AM

Who needs light mechs anyway...

Honestly, we need to rein in some of the absurd Alphas, not add more of them.

Edited by IshanDeston, 10 February 2019 - 02:01 AM.

#17 Extra Guac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Chu-i
  • Chu-i
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:38 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 21 July 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

They're not comparable. Dual HGauss builds are limited to assault mechs with std engines.

Warhammers with dual AC20 can run >75 kph.

#18 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:58 AM

Add Rac's and light PPC's to that list. They are so hot in the first place. AC20's are garbage imo.

KGC had it's back broken since skill tree nerf, let alone everything getting seemingly buffed firepower. It can barley defend it's self let alone "assault" anything if your not using 2x LBX10's+2x MRM40's or Quad UAC5's+ some utility weapons.

The biggest glitchy hit boxes and low slung ballistics have a hard time and it runs too hot. That's my bias anyway. Can't suppress, too slow, can't assault IMO.

I like how the chassis looks + nostalgia so I play it mostly every game but it's pretty grueling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users