April Is Longbow Month

9 replies to this topic

#1 Midgie

Swaybacked

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 192 posts
  • LocationThe unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy.

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

Well PGI, I have all my favorite mechs in the game except for one. I think it's high time to announce the Longbow in all of its barrel-armed glory. Besides, the staff at PGI could supplement their income by selling the mountain of salt that will be produced in these forums over an LRM-oriented Assault.

#2 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:12 AM

More like laughter at the spuds running LRMs over MRMs.

EDIT: letsee, looking over variants...

Original variant is the LGB-0W; LRM20 in each arm, LRM5 in each side torso, small laser in the head. Only 9 tons of armor, but a 340 rated engine, which means a 400 cap.
It'd probably get another missile hardpoint in each arm and torso, so 8M and 1E. It could potentially be stronger than the Cyclops 10-Q for SRM brawling.

7Q; same LRMs as the 0W, but instead of a small laser in the head it has a medium laser in each side torso... and engine downgraded to a 255, so cap of just 310.
This would need at least 6M/4E to work.

7V; only a single LRM20 in each arm, but two Medium Pulse in each side torso, a fifth in the head and an ER Large Laser in the CT.
Engine is only a 255, so a cap of 310... this would be the energy boat of the Longbows.

8V is out, it uses Arrow IVs.

12C, which has 1x LRM20 and 1x LRM15 in each arm, ER Small Laser in each side torso and head. 255/310 engine again.
It'd probably be hardpoint inflated to at least 3M, maybe even 4M, in each arm.

12R; it has a LRM15 in each arm and torso, ER Medium in the head and ER Large in the center torso. 255/310 engine again, differs from other Longbows by having jumpjets.

13C and 14C use MMLs; those are out, as is the 13NAIS which uses LAC5s.

That leaves 5 solid variants, so PGI doesn't need to invent anything other than a Hero.

Edited by Zergling, 04 April 2018 - 02:25 AM.

#3 Steel Wool Atlas

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

View PostZergling, on 04 April 2018 - 02:12 AM, said:

More like laughter at the spuds running LRMs over MRMs.

EDIT: letsee, looking over variants...

Original variant is the LGB-0W; LRM20 in each arm, LRM5 in each side torso, small laser in the head. Only 9 tons of armor, but a 340 rated engine, which means a 400 cap.
It'd probably get another missile hardpoint in each arm and torso, so 8M and 1E. It could potentially be stronger than the Cyclops 10-Q for SRM brawling.

7Q; same LRMs as the 0W, but instead of a small laser in the head it has a medium laser in each side torso... and engine downgraded to a 255, so cap of just 310.
This would need at least 6M/4E to work.

7V; only a single LRM20 in each arm, but two Medium Pulse in each side torso, a fifth in the head and an ER Large Laser in the CT.
Engine is only a 255, so a cap of 310... this would be the energy boat of the Longbows.

8V is out, it uses Arrow IVs.

12C, which has 1x LRM20 and 1x LRM15 in each arm, ER Small Laser in each side torso and head. 255/310 engine again.
It'd probably be hardpoint inflated to at least 3M, maybe even 4M, in each arm.

12R; it has a LRM15 in each arm and torso, ER Medium in the head and ER Large in the center torso. 255/310 engine again, differs from other Longbows by having jumpjets.

13C and 14C use MMLs; those are out, as is the 13NAIS which uses LAC5s.

That leaves 5 solid variants, so PGI doesn't need to invent anything other than a Hero.

I like the sound of this... though that might just be the siren song of midrange TAG/LRM shenanigans.

#4 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:37 PM

I loved the Longbow in TT. Would be a worthy adversary if treated right. I would not be in the market, I have returned to my Clan ways.

#5 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:37 PM

We probably will not see a Longbow until the mess HG is settled.

When we finally do get it, the Longbow's wide silhouette will hurt it in MWO unless it gets some insane quirks for it to compete with the Stalker and Battlemaster.

#6 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:20 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 05 April 2018 - 09:37 PM, said:

We probably will not see a Longbow until the mess HG is settled.

When we finally do get it, the Longbow's wide silhouette will hurt it in MWO unless it gets some insane quirks for it to compete with the Stalker and Battlemaster.

Nah, PGI can use the Project Phoenix artwork for the Longbow, which is more suited to MWO's artstyle anyway (and it honestly looks way better than the original Unseen).

Project Phoenix LGB-12C Longbow:
Posted Image

Also note that the Longbow was used in Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries without issue:
Posted Image

There's even the TRO3058 version that is also fine to use (it post-dates the original Unseen lawsuit):
Posted Image

Edited by Zergling, 06 April 2018 - 12:24 AM.

#7 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:50 AM

I'd rock the living hell out of a Longbow. (With MRM's, not LRM's.)

#8 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:04 AM

I liked the Longbow in MW4

#9 Midgie

Swaybacked

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 192 posts
  • LocationThe unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy.

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

Unfortunately, no Longbow this month. But Zergling is right that there are enough different versions of the Longbow's art for Alex Iglesias to make a HG friendly version. When it does come out, I expect I'll have a couple LRM boat variants, a couple of mixed LRM/ER LL variants, and a couple MRM variants. Yeah that does mean I'd most likely be buying the ultimate pack.

Edited by Midgie, 06 April 2018 - 04:48 PM.

#10 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:06 PM

View PostMidgie, on 06 April 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

Unfortunately, no Longbow this month. But Zergling is right that there are enough different versions of the Longbow's art for Alex Iglesias to make a HG friendly version. When it does come out, I expect I'll have a couple LRM boat variants, a couple of mixed LRM/ER LL variants, and a couple MRM variants. Yeah that does mean I'd most likely be buying the ultimate pack.

Should also bring out the Clan counterpart the Bowman as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users