Brawling Kodiak

6 replies to this topic

#1 Exeroxide

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

Hey vetrans im new to the game and was wondering what is a good build for brawling in a kodiak 1

Currently with my kodiak i stripped two med lasers and improved the overall cooling so i could apha strike but what is an optimal build for a brawling kodiak 1

#2 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

There really isn't one. It doesn't have enough ballistic or missile hardpoints to make use of most of its tonnage, and lasers are way too hot to really brawl with them.

I run LB20X + 2 ATM12 + Light Tag and a big engine in mine, but that's a weird build that isn't particularly effective. If you want, you can go big ballistic + MPLs or just standard HLL + ERML laser vomit, but neither will be particularly good on a huge, squishy, slow Assault with bad hitboxes and worse agility.

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:49 PM

There is no optimal build for a brawling Kodiak-1. Any will be suboptimal due to the mech having terrible agility, low levels of torso yaw, and weapon combinations not optimal for brawls. Its pretty much lacking anything that would make it a brawler.

You could opt to use an LBX20 and 2 ATM12s like the person above suggests, its not really a brawler exactly since it still needs to keep 120m away from the enemy to work, but it hits hard in the 120-270m range without high heat generation. Another alternative is just to be a laser boat.

Basically the Kodiak-1 is in a pretty bad spot. It used to be good, but the Kodiak-3 variant was deemed to be too good and the whole chassis got nerfed so now all the variants suck and only the KDK-3 remains sorta decent. If you wanted a clan brawling assault mech you could go with the Mad Cat mark 2 with 4 missile slots and 2 ballistic slots or even pick a Highlander IIC-B. That said, the Inner Sphere generally has better brawlers at the assault bracket than Clan can handle. Things like Victors, Highlanders, and Atlases that can all run 60MRMs and a UAC20.

#4 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:42 AM

Kodiak 1 makes for a decent Laser Boat for Heavy and Pules but the Marauder IIC overshadows it. The Mad Cat MKII B has also edges out the KDK 3 in the dakka department. The KDK really needs ether some mobility buffs or armor buffs for those big shoulders.

#5 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:05 AM

Spirit Bear with LBX-20 and ASRM6s could work.

#6 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:43 PM

View PostBlack Ivan, on 06 April 2018 - 03:05 AM, said:

Spirit Bear with LBX-20 and ASRM6s could work.

The Spirit Bear was the Clan Assault mech for brawling until it lost some of it's mobility. Still has a mean Alpha though.

#7 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

The closest I had to a viable brawler was an LB20-X, two ASRM6, and six small pulse lasers and an XL400. Sadly this was before the engine desync and small pulse nerfs, and was still inferior to mechs with more ballistics and/or SRMs.

Edited by process, 07 April 2018 - 01:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users