Mrm Vs Srm

21 replies to this topic

#1 Linksdx

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

i saw the mrms arfer returning and was wondering how they compare to srms and i cant really find any posts comparing them so i was wondering if anyone could help since i was thinking of replacing my srms for them.
also sorry to the mod who will probably end up moving this , i just saw i put this in the wrong place :X

Edited by Linksdx, 04 April 2018 - 09:01 PM.

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:49 AM

MRMs act a bit like SRMs in terms of aiming.
Otherwhise there seems to be a lot of issues when used to close to the enemy and most ppl are bad at aiming them beyond 200m.
While an A-SRM 6 has a raw dmg potential of 12points at 4t the smalest MRM launcher has a dmg potential of flat out 10 points.
SRMs are fired in a burst with all missiles going of at once.
MRMs are fired in rapid succession creating a streaming effect that requires you to aim and lead the target as long as all missiles left the launcher.

Considdering this I thing the potential for point blank brawling or usage on light and smaler medium mechs is better with SRMs if you have enough missile hardpoints.
There are some mechs with eclectic hardpoint layouts that would otherwise be good brawlers regarding their movement properties and durability.
Those mechs (mediums especially) profit from larger MRM launchers. (Wolverine f.e.)

So summing up all this:

If you want to brawl and you are fast enough and got enough missile hardpoints to mount at least 4ASRM6, use those.
If you are a mobile mech with a medium to short range setup for skirmishing or if you just do not want to get into pointblank range and you are a bit deprived of hardpoints, use MRMs and their insane tube count.

#3 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:48 AM

For hit and run in a swift mech, srm is best.

On bigger mech with enough armor to tank a bit, MRM is better mainly because of range, most of the time.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 18 June 2018 - 05:27 PM.

#4 Linksdx

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:48 AM

what would work best on an atlas? sicne if i remember atlas's have quite small missile racks

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

View PostLinksdx, on 05 April 2018 - 05:48 AM, said:

what would work best on an atlas? sicne if i remember atlas's have quite small missile racks

Try 325 or bigger standart reactor HGauss and a big MRM thrower 2x30 or a 40 maybe some medlasers as backup.

Edited by The Basilisk, 05 April 2018 - 08:47 AM.

#6 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

[removed by user]

Edited by Throe, 05 October 2023 - 11:44 AM.

#7 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

View PostThroe, on 05 April 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

I prefer SRMs, although I've encountered numerous opponents who seem to be able to do devastating things with MRMs. Usually, this manifests as a dual MRM30 load out, which I think may be the only way MRMs make sense, even despite the recent nerf to the MRM30.

I lean toward a single MRM40 paired with something like a UAC/10.

Use a LB20X and standart reactor ^^

#8 Linksdx

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

i thought of maybe something like this https://mwo.smurfy-n...ef67c54370ce14d also is smurfys armor values out of date?

Edited by Linksdx, 05 April 2018 - 03:40 PM.

#9 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:31 PM

Stalkers can boat SRMs,MRMs or Rocket Launchers. Rocket Launchers do not work at point blank range like SRMs.

#10 Linksdx

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:41 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 05 April 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

Stalkers can boat SRMs,MRMs or Rocket Launchers. Rocket Launchers do not work at point blank range like SRMs.

ummm when did stalkers come up? XD and rocket launchers at that? XD

#11 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:39 AM

View PostLinksdx, on 05 April 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

ummm when did stalkers come up? XD and rocket launchers at that? XD

Knowledge I thought would be helpful to you.

#12 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:13 AM

The MRM60 rocketfist on the Zeus works really well due to the focussed stream of missiles you can put out from the arm mounted hardpoints. Gives you more versatility than the SRMs and if you pack a big enough engine in you can be mobile enough to skirt round the edges of a brawl and rack up a lot of damage. As the other guys have mentioned - make sure you lead the target. Also had a lot of success with Maulers and MRMs - the variants with 4 missile hardpoints can accommodate 2 lrm5s and 2 MRM30s which stops you from getting the Grace Jones shoulder pads!

I like them as you aren't restricted to just getting in close. The only issue with an SRM dependent build is if the map vote goes against you, you can be in for a challenging match.....

Edited by Colonel Clunge, 06 April 2018 - 07:14 AM.

#13 Linksdx

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 06 April 2018 - 04:39 AM, said:

Knowledge I thought would be helpful to you.

ahh ok thanks , also i thought rocket were like disposable tonnage?

View PostColonel Clunge, on 06 April 2018 - 07:13 AM, said:

I like them as you aren't restricted to just getting in close. The only issue with an SRM dependent build is if the map vote goes against you, you can be in for a challenging match.....

iv seen some scary things doen with srms , liek i think it was a cheeter armed with 6 or 8 of them XD

#14 McHoshi

• 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

Not sure if it won´t suck that bad but you can try this - maybe. ;)

#15 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:15 PM

View PostMcHoshi, on 06 April 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

Not sure if it won´t suck that bad but you can try this - maybe. ;)

Looks nasty like a toxic waste cocktail of plutonium and spent hydrochloric acid.

#16 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:45 PM

I would argue SRMs are still superior for your a) fast-moving strike mechs or B) slow heavy brawl mechs. The primary advantage of SRMs is their unmatched fire-and-forget splat damage versus weight, heat, and size. Lights and mediums can hit and run, while they allow heavier mechs to dominate close encounters which is essential to their survival.

Alternately, MRMs offer greater versatility due to their theoretical damage limit per hardpoint, range, and ammo efficiency. However, they need to be aimed, their weight isn't insignificant at the upper end, and at maximum range they spread quite a bit. They seem to perform most effectively with dedicated, reasonably fast mediums that can dump damage, take a hit and run. They can of course be adapted to typically SRM-based builds, but obviously that changes how you play them.

My best two MRM builds are with the Treb 7M, mainly due to quirks, and surprisingly my King Crab 000 running something like this: KGC-000

#17 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:14 PM

View Postprocess, on 06 April 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

I would argue SRMs are still superior for your a) fast-moving strike mechs or B) slow heavy brawl mechs. The primary advantage of SRMs is their unmatched fire-and-forget splat damage versus weight, heat, and size. Lights and mediums can hit and run, while they allow heavier mechs to dominate close encounters which is essential to their survival.

Alternately, MRMs offer greater versatility due to their theoretical damage limit per hardpoint, range, and ammo efficiency. However, they need to be aimed, their weight isn't insignificant at the upper end, and at maximum range they spread quite a bit. They seem to perform most effectively with dedicated, reasonably fast mediums that can dump damage, take a hit and run. They can of course be adapted to typically SRM-based builds, but obviously that changes how you play them.

My best two MRM builds are with the Treb 7M, mainly due to quirks, and surprisingly my King Crab 000 running something like this: KGC-000

That KC000 looks mean. Hope I can meet you as an adversary. You seem like a noble opponent.

#18 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 05 April 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

Rocket Launchers do not work at point blank range like SRMs.

Like SRMs...

#19 zugnish

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:45 PM

The first time I loaded up a BLR-1S with MRMs I got over 1800 damage in QP on Tourmaline.

I think it worked because I would overheat after every volley and they kept assuming I was dead.

I've had a few more matches where an assault full of MRMs delivered over 1000, but it tends to be high dmg, low kills because of the spread. That said, I'd rather have an assault full of MRMs than an assault full of LRMs on my team. They're also good on missile points with low tube counts where LRMs don't make sense.

When it works well, it can be pretty visceral to belch out 100 missiles in a stream and watch some unlucky targets armour disintegrate.

#20 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

View Postzugnish, on 08 April 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

The first time I loaded up a BLR-1S with MRMs I got over 1800 damage in QP on Tourmaline.

I think it worked because I would overheat after every volley and they kept assuming I was dead.

I've had a few more matches where an assault full of MRMs delivered over 1000, but it tends to be high dmg, low kills because of the spread. That said, I'd rather have an assault full of MRMs than an assault full of LRMs on my team. They're also good on missile points with low tube counts where LRMs don't make sense.

When it works well, it can be pretty visceral to belch out 100 missiles in a stream and watch some unlucky targets armour disintegrate.

Probably my back armour given my bloody rotten luck lately.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users