New Portal Unable To Launch Existing Installation

5 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Drsaurri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 107 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:42 PM

I downloaded the new MWO Portal. I have an existing installation but, I am unable to set the directory of that installation to the Portal.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

Clarification.

You have an existing installation of just MWO? And where is it installed, exactly, the entire line ? Example, my MWO installation.

D:\games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online

It does not matter where MWO Portal is installed but once it is installed you would need to direct the MWO installation it to the folder/directory RIGHT before Mechwwarrior Online folder. Example, in mine above I would put it to D:\games\Piranha Games. You can NOT change/alter the final game directory so if your original MWO directory is NOT Mechwarrior Online but something like MWO or such, you will need to rename it to Mechwarrior Online.

Edit. Basically if the above does not work for you, take us through what you have, step by step.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 06 April 2018 - 07:07 PM.

#3 Ian Drsaurri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 107 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:53 AM

My current installation is D:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online
My portal installation is D:\Games\Piranha Games\MWO Portal

I am really unsure why the portal is not recognizing my current instalation

#4 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

First, ..../snip..... you are not detailing what you are seeing.... so baby steps.....

After installing Portal, the next step, Install MWO, you then have to POINT it to it. It does not automatically recognize that installation location, especially if it has been MOVED. Did or do you have more than one MWO directory?

Uninstall MWO Portal...Now install it again and point it to the D:\Games\Piranha Games so the Portal is installed where you have it now. When the MWO Portal launches for the first time, does it ask to install Mechwarrior Online in the little box in the lower right corner? If so, then hit it like tis... nm...It will bring up the Mechwarrior Online installation, definitely not the default installation.. direct that same folder D:\Games\Piranha Games. It will start then says it needs to verify.

Now, if you have had MORE than one Mechwarrior Online installed that was actually installed and not moved, that may be an issue and the above will not work because it is seeing there HAD been a path in the registry of installed MWO in another location.

Sorry if I sound rough but tis like pulling teeth when dealing with the average consumer.... Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 07 April 2018 - 01:58 PM.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:30 PM

View PostIan Drsaurri, on 07 April 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

My current installation is D:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online
My portal installation is D:\Games\Piranha Games\MWO Portal

I am really unsure why the portal is not recognizing my current instalation

Just breaking up the posts a little bit...

You keep saying current installation. Once upon a time did you have MWO installed in another location? If yes, did you uninstall/reinstall to the NEW location or did you MOVE it or COPY the game directory to its current location? If COPIED, then App/Programs and uninstall Mechwarrior Online to remove it from its unused location, which will also delete the registry keys. You may want to uninstall MWO Portal prior to this. If you MOVED the entire folder, copy it back and uninstall it.

#6 Ian Drsaurri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 107 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:03 PM

I clicked install and set the install directory to where my installation of MWO was. It tried to install it then crashed badly. When the portal restarted, it recognized where my installation was and asked me to patch. The client is in working order right now. Thank you so much for your assistance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users