Hunchback Iic Recommendations?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:23 PM

Hello everybody!

As I am enjoying the Kit Fox I built a couple months ago, I have decided to get some more clan mechs. I have seen a lot of recommendations for the Hunchback IIC, so I am looking at that.

I do not really want the laser vomit version as I already have a number of laser only mechs, but beyond that, I have no idea.

So I am asking you. :) Which one would you recommend? And why?

#2 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:35 PM

Well that leaves you with either ballistics or missiles. I've got a soft spot for 2x UAC10 plus 2 CT lasers on either the -IIC or the -IIC-C. Replace the UACs with LB-10x if you prefer, stuff the biggest clan XL engine you can find and as many heat sinks and bullets (priority towards bullets) as possible, strip the armour off the arms and plod away. Hoverjets optional.
If you want a Potatoback, I run 4x LRM10 and 2x ERML on the missile one. Play it like an LRM Catapult and prepare to hate yourself :D

Edited by Audacious Aubergine, 13 April 2018 - 11:36 PM.

#3 Bersigil

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:17 AM

NOT the laser variant ;)
ok. I am biased toward the A-Variant
https://mwo.smurfy-n...950d3ed95f5eb8e

#4 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:01 AM

View PostBersigil, on 14 April 2018 - 01:17 AM, said:

NOT the laser variant ;)
ok. I am biased toward the A-Variant
https://mwo.smurfy-n...950d3ed95f5eb8e

As much as I hate ERLL Ravens on the enemy team, I think I would hate this twin ERPPC more. Especially on Boreal Vault or other open maps.

#5 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:42 AM

Are there any real differences between the builds in the standard and the C version? As I do not currently have any Ballistic Mechs, I think I will head in that direction. Aubergine mentioned 2 ballistics and 2 lasers in each build, IIRC one has 4/2 and the other 2/4 slots for those. I take it that means I will not be able to fill all of the slots?

Also, as I have not played a lot with ballistics, for which situations are LB or UAC suited?

#6 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:00 AM

UAC-20 fires 4 5pt slugs, if it hit the trigger again it fires another 4 but it may jam. The LBX-20 fires a spread pattern of 20 pellets. UACs are damage per second weapons but are far from pinpoint.

I favour the LBX-2 over the UAC-2 but the UAC-5 over the LBX-5. I like LBX-10s but there spread and lesser range normally gives the UAC-10 the nod.

Hope this is helpful. I do not have experience with the Hunchback IIC but am considering the Ballistic and LRM models. I want 3-4 FP drop decks with 50% Hero Mechs/Omnimechs.

#7 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

Okay, so would this be a workable build?

HBK-IIC-C

Or am I going to get problems heat wise?

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 14 April 2018 - 11:00 AM.

#8 undeadasharak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:32 AM

the HBK-IIC-B it think it is anyway the missle one is always fun with 4 Asrm6 and two small pulse laser load up the rest on ammo engine and heatsinks i nicknamed it the 56 special though the actual damage has prolly changed with how many times they have changed the dmg on the small pusles so i might need to update the name lol in any case a wicked mech to support brawly heavies and assualts had it built that way on paper since before it even released never regreted the build or changed it old unit used to do what we called the lance and a half right hook two of these hunchback two brawly marauders and a brawly assualt in a short flank often destroyed stuff oh and putting a couple of jump jets in it give it some shortranged poptarting capabilities

#9 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 14 April 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

HBK-IIC-C

You will be fine, especially if you swap the hoverjets for more ammo or armor. Generally 35% heat per Smurfy should be manageable, but you can get by at, say, 27% or so, if you build well, max out the heat nodes in Operations tree, use multiple weapon groups and generally know what you are doing. Of course such knowledge is only taught at Hard Knocks High School, but all is in your hands Posted Image

#10 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:11 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 14 April 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

HBK-IIC-C

This is a pretty good build. JJs help with maneuverability. In the skill tree you need at least the second slot for consumables. Button one 1 UAC-10, 2 the next UAC-10, three both ERMLs.

#11 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for all the advice, everybody. I got the Mech and played the first 4 matches. Damage wise I was doing okay, I think. I ran out of ammo on Polar Highlands, so was a bit of a waste of tonnage from that point on.

I enjoy the playstyle and the JJs helped me get in some nice positions on Mining Collective that helped the team a lot.

Still, the first skill I am going for is more ammo. I am loath to get rid of the JJs, so the ammo is a bit tight. I need to stop taking long range potshots, my aim is too bad for that. ;-)

Next on the skill list (after another consumable) less heat and less of a jam chance. ;-)

I receive surprising amounts of cbills and experience per match, right now. Quite the change from the Kitfox and Blackjack I was skilling up before. So I guess it should not be long to have him mastered.

Again, thanks for help. :)

#12 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:06 AM

If you like it well enough, you might want to try going for the HBK-IIC (no variant designation) and put quad UAC2 with a pair of ERSL as backups. You can constant double-tap for the UACs, and only rarely jam more than 2 of them at any given time. I've used this build to eat an Annihilator front CT away in under 10 seconds.

#13 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:49 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 15 April 2018 - 01:06 AM, said:

If you like it well enough, you might want to try going for the HBK-IIC (no variant designation) and put quad UAC2 with a pair of ERSL as backups. You can constant double-tap for the UACs, and only rarely jam more than 2 of them at any given time. I've used this build to eat an Annihilator front CT away in under 10 seconds.

Bet the Anni pilot had a Koolaid frown. Would have loved to have been there to add UAC-10 and CERML fire from my Ebon Jaguar B to the mix.

Edited by Spare Parts Bin, 15 April 2018 - 02:51 AM.

#14 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

He immediately disconnected when I killed him... It was him and 3 others against me hillhumping outside their range. lol

#15 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:45 PM

Hmmm... I cannot burst down anything within 10 seconds right now... Except maybe Lights. ;-)

How does that work? I expected 2x10 would be more powerful than 4x2. Does the jam duration remove that much dps?

But it is nice to see that a lot of things head for cover straight away when I open fire on them. ;-)

#16 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:07 AM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 15 April 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

Hmmm... I cannot burst down anything within 10 seconds right now... Except maybe Lights. ;-)

How does that work? I expected 2x10 would be more powerful than 4x2. Does the jam duration remove that much dps?

But it is nice to see that a lot of things head for cover straight away when I open fire on them. ;-)

If they have a clue they will. Keep up the pressure on the enemy. Cooridinate with several team mates. Keep working the system.

#17 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

Yeah, that's not working all that well for me. I keep running to teammates that seem to be in trouble, assisting them, getting people into cover only to notice the guys I just helped have relocated without a word, leaving me behind.

I need to get better at paying attention to the mini map AND the people shooting at me AND my targets AND the targeting information to find out what I should be shooting at.

Almost every single match I played this weekend was the same. It ended up being 12/1 or 12/2 in either direction. Neither of which is all that much fun.

#18 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:03 AM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 15 April 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

UAC2s have enough of a higher rate of fire that they make up for their lower damage.

If a UAC doesn't jam, here are the damage numbers across 10s:

55.55 DP10S C-UAC2 (PPFLD)
60.24 DP10S C-UAC5 (PPFLD)
80.00 DP10S C-UAC10 (PP, not FL)
100.0 DP10S C-UAC20 (PP, not FL)

*PPFLD = PinPoint Front Loaded Damage
*PP = PinPoint (does not have spread on the weapon)
*FL = Front Loaded (all damage occurs at the same time)

If they jam, each reduces significantly, but the UAC2 reduces a significant portion less than the rest. Combined with the fact that you can mount more of them than the others, the jamming is even less of an issue.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 16 April 2018 - 10:06 AM.

#19 Danger817

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 25 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:34 AM

Here's my HGN 2C Keeper build. Trying to perfect it as its a work in progress.

2x LBX20's and 4x SRM6's

https://mwo.smurfy-n...fad46c716b0748c

Edited by Danger817, 18 April 2018 - 09:34 AM.

#20 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:18 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 16 April 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

UAC2s have enough of a higher rate of fire that they make up for their lower damage.

Sounds like I should have gone for the base version with 4 UAC2s instead... After a very promising first two matches (over 700 damage, 3 kills) I just cannot get the Mech to work.

Between yesterday and today, I had 1 win and 13 losses shared between this Mech and my Kitfox. Standard distribution would expect that even if I really, really sucked, I should have won more than that.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong. My accuracy at over 400 meters is not really good, I do better at under 300. But I still die with mostly between 150 and 300 damage dealt. I am usually not the first to die, I am often among the last 4 guys.

I keep moving, trying to find a good firing position without losing too much armour. Hit and run, if I cannot burst them down. If the enemy isn't paying that close attention to my direction, I do some pop tarting. If someone is firing at an enemy, I am trying to assist them. When the team moves, I try to move with them. I just do not get what I am doing wrong.

It's getting seriously frustrating. This cannot all come from the fact that I only have about 15 or so skillpoints in the Mech. I did okay in the first two matches...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users