This Is Mechwarrior: Fight Like A Real Mech Don't Hide.... The Boogie Man Will Get You!

112 replies to this topic

#1 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:06 PM

Funny match here.

Locust vs Rifleman.

Rifleman makes a bee line for a corner in the arena to limit my attack vectors.......The ending text is priceless

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:27 PM

I would have done something similar if I see a Locust on the other side. Mobility is key for those buggers.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 April 2018 - 08:27 PM.

#3 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 April 2018 - 08:27 PM, said:

I would have done something similar if I see a Locust on the other side. Mobility is key for those buggers.

This is really becoming an epidemic. The minute a heavy sees a light they bee line it for a damn corner. Just had 3 matches in a row against Phracts and every damn one of them headed for a corner with clear LOS and their AC 5's and UAC 5 's ready to bear and there is nothing you can do about it.

Chick arse play if you ask me.

Course I can't wait for the Phract to be moved out of my division

#4 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:49 PM

Make that 4 in a a row

#5 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 18 April 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

This is really becoming an epidemic. The minute a heavy sees a light they bee line it for a damn corner. Just had 3 matches in a row against Phracts and every damn one of them headed for a corner with clear LOS and their AC 5's and UAC 5 's ready to bear and there is nothing you can do about it.

There is no chick arse play in duels. Do what you can, with what you have, however it takes.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 April 2018 - 08:56 PM.

#6 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

How dare they play smart!!

#7 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 April 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

There is no chick arse play in duels. Do what you can, with what you have, however it takes.

View PostSavage Wolf, on 18 April 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

How dare they play smart!!

There is no smart play when the moment they see the cut scene they turn tail and run into a corner which makes it virtually impossible for any light mech to win. Contrary to what the Heavies and Assaults have been feeding the underhive for years we are not that strong.

I have had few wipe the floor with me in the open field..... it can be done..... they just choose to take the easy route.

Edited by Darian DelFord, 18 April 2018 - 09:01 PM.

#8 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:03 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 18 April 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

There is no smart play when the moment they see the cut scene they turn tail and run into a corner which makes it virtually impossible for any light mech to win. Contrary to what the Heavies and Assaults have been feeding the underhive for years we are not that strong.

I have had few wipe the floor with me in the open field..... it can be done..... they just choose to take the easy route.

Why should anyone give their opponent a chance, unless they are goofing around? People want to place high, they want to win, and 1v1 dueling is the purest form leaving nothing to chance.

#9 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:05 PM

If your opponent is putting you into a situation where he has superior positioning to the point of "nearly impossible to win", then congrats to him. He's discovered basic counter-light tactics. Why would he NOT do something like that if he's not suffering from terminal derp?

Cue pilots putting LPPCs on their Locust and slowly pecking cornerhumpers to death at a range the enemy fattie can't hit for beans!

#10 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:07 PM

I think they are doing what they must do, AND ELO too is doing its work.

You are not meeting steering wheels if you play well.

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 18 April 2018 - 09:07 PM.

#11 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 April 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

Why should anyone give their opponent a chance, unless they are goofing around? People want to place high, they want to win, and 1v1 dueling is the purest form leaving nothing to chance.

I am sorry I do not understand the need to put yourself in a corner and hide and if need be wait for the timer to run out.... had that happen twice yesterday. If you are going to win they should EARN it. I am sorry but hiding in a corner for the strict purpose that you can not handle fighting a light is ludicrous, One good alpha from any of those builds ad a locust is toast and we all Know it

View PostBrain Cancer, on 18 April 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

Cue pilots putting LPPCs on their Locust and slowly pecking cornerhumpers to death at a range the enemy fattie can't hit for beans!

That will not help the situation. Besides PGI is cut the lights off at the legs with how small these maps are. That is one of the biggest issues. That and the cut scene.

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 18 April 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

I think they are doing what they must do, AND ELO too is doing its work.

You are not meeting steering wheels if you play well.

It gets aggravating when just about every other match is exactly what it is in those videos. The 70 ton mech goes straight for a corner and sits there knowing full and well the light can't do crap about it.

Edited by Darian DelFord, 18 April 2018 - 09:20 PM.

#12 DeadEye COTP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

Let's be fair here. Every person piloting a light mech in a high division is doing it in the hopes some unskilled pilot will run out and let them squirrel around. If you honestly think you're going to get light fights, then go play in D7.

You want them to fight out in the open, they want you to fight where it benefits them. I see no issue other than people trying to pretend as if they want a fair fight.

#13 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:42 PM

You got three choices.

1) Discover how to beat the OP corner strat. After all, they're just being a turret here.

2) Accept the draw if they don't move. Some of these are actually people thinking you'll get impatient and come into their trap, and they get bored first.
3) Stop playing lights in solo Solaris before your sodium level creates a nuclear disaster on Tharkad when the Word of Blake hits it.

#14 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:02 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 18 April 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

It gets aggravating when just about every other match is exactly what it is in those videos. The 70 ton mech goes straight for a corner and sits there knowing full and well the light can't do crap about it.

I assume you are not lamenting the fact they are doing their work.

As a light pilot myself, I laughed a lot watching your videos where you showed fatty slow asses getting wrecked by your light, because they didn't know how to position thier assaults.

Now with elo, you are meeting pilots with the same level as you.
And 1vs1 doesn't help a light at all.

#15 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:07 PM

Basically, Darian, what's coming out of your mouth is "Don't hide in the corner and come out to fight like a MECHWARRIOR!" But what the rest of us are hearing is: "Play into my mech's strengths and your mech's weaknesses!"

Edited by Signal27, 18 April 2018 - 10:08 PM.

#16 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:07 PM

I have no problem with him doing this. Its a valid strategy.

No different than me exploiting the low mounts of the AC5 Cataphract using vertical plane to keep him kicking up dirt.

Cataphract-4x in Div5 is quite hard to beat in medium especially when you don't understand how the maps are laid out and accidentally pick something that ends up wide open.

RIP.

I'm learning a lot from Solaris already things you really don't' think about as much in QP you must apply in Solaris. Mainly finding out how to defeat much heavier mechs.

I've only went up against 1 Locust thus far and it was rough, I won but he as using stealth armor on that Warehouse map and had dark camo...making it all sorts of difficult to maintain eyes.

#17 Koved

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:13 PM

If I am in a tall mech I just log out vs a locust. How can a locust complain about a heavier mech countering their tiny size and expect to be taken seriously? Every locust I encounter just runs up and humps my leg so that I cannot shoot back... at all. When the typical locust strategy involves shoving their head so far up my crotch I cannot shoot back at them, it is hard to feel any sympathy for any locust.. ever.. for anything.

Edited by Koved, 18 April 2018 - 10:14 PM.

#18 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:19 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 18 April 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

Course I can't wait for the Phract to be moved out of my division

Oh, shame upon those heavy mech pilots for refusing to expose their backs to you. Of course by your logic, going exclusively for the legs can be construed as the tactics of a coward who can't win by going for the CT.

#19 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,069 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:53 PM

As much as I like seeing a light take down a much heavier tougher mech that first video was quite dull from a spectator view. I was surprised you could kill it by legging with just srm 2 hits. You'd think people would be front loading armor and legs to the max. If I had the time this week I'd go full derp-y with the spider 5v and record the matches. Unfortunately my game time has been reduced a lot in order to pay bills the next few months. Bravo on the win.

#20 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:34 PM

It's 1v1 - anything goes... a good duelist will play their mech to its strength and to its opponents weakness... often that will appear as unfair.

Here's a good story about Miyamoto Musashi, one of the greatest warriors and duelist of all times, and the duel he had with his greatest and most skilled opponent Sasaki Kojiro (aka Ganryu):

"Sasaki developed a very effective Kenjutsu style based on the movement of a swallow's tail in flight. Unlike other samurai who used the traditional 'katana', Sasaki used a 'no-dachi', which was a very long two-handed sword. Despite the sword's length and weight, Kojiro's strikes with the weapon were unusually quick and precise. Kojiro was Lord Hosokawa Tadaoki's private kenjutsu instructor.

The two greatest swordsmen agreed to fight, and the duel took place on April 13, 1612 on Ganryu Island, located off the coast of the Bizen Province. The duel was set for early the next morning. On the day of the fight, Sasaki Kojiro and the officials serving as witnesses waited for Musashi for hours. His absence lead to the rumor that Musashi had run away in fear of his life because he was so terrified of Sasaki Kojiro's technique. Nothing was further from the truth.

Miyamoto Musashi was transported to Ganryu Island on boat by a local fisherman, and, as part of his strategy, he arrived late for the duel once again, thus disturbing his opponent's inner state. During the short trip, he sculpted a wooden sword which he used for the duel against Sasaki Kojiro.

When the boat finally arrived, Sasaki and the officials were standing on the beach waiting for Musashi. Extremely irritated and blinded by rage, Sasaki Kojiro drew his katana and threw away his scabbard. Musashi saw this gesture and said to his enemy, "If you have no more use for your sheath, you are already dead."

The dual began, and both men were on guard with respect for the other's ability. One mistake, and it would all be over. Musashi provoked Kojiro into making the first attack, and then countered quickly, breaking Kojiro's left ribs and puncturing his lungs, thus killing him.

Before running back to his boat, Musashi bowed to his downed opponent and the officials, realizing with sadness that one of the greatest swordsmen ever had just died. It was at this point that Musashi attained satori or spiritual awakening. From this moment on he renounced ever doing lethal duels."

To conclude, i will approach and leave any 1v1 with honour and respect, exchanging polite greetings and so on, but what happens in between is not bound to any rule (unless enforced by the game).

Edited by B3R3ND, 18 April 2018 - 11:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users