Pleasantly Surprised

7 replies to this topic

#1 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:46 PM

After Faction mode's piles of hype that failed to deliver, I was admittedly expecting the same amount of underwhelming sensation from Solaris. However, after playing a few rounds, I can say that I'm actually enjoying it. It's refreshingly free of laser vomit. After getting my feet wet in the arena, I actually started setting up builds just for Solaris, which I didn't expect to happen. Overall, not too shabby, and it shall keep me playing for a while longer.

Now, hire a body to work on Faction play.

#2 Adamski

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

Agreed, the mech divisions still need some sorting, but I think the format of Solaris should help really push the ability of PGI to gather some decent data to help with that.

#3 calmdawn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:59 PM

I've started to play twice better after practicing Solaris!
But often the only way to win is to use SRMS, maybe there might be a division without SRMs?

#4 GX9900 Gundam X

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:25 AM

View Postcalmdawn, on 20 April 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

I've started to play twice better after practicing Solaris!
But often the only way to win is to use SRMS, maybe there might be a division without SRMs?

That's not the only way to win, actually the meta is more skewed towards hard hitting ballistics because they're usable at more ranges. But, I agree that there should be a division for mechs that have one or less missile hardpoints because trying to use my phoenix hawks in the divisions that they are has been cancer.

#5 Luhs

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:02 AM

Solaris is excellent - all server cheaters are already here. Amazing head shots at 800 meters? No problem ... It's unpleasant to play against an aimbot ... Again a pause - three years. Piranhas - hello to you from other game sellers - I carried money to them)

#6 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

Luckly I haven't meet any cheaters so far but I agree they are a pain in the A.. in every game. Why can't people just play and either become better or move on. Why the cheating?

Anyway I am also kinda happy with how it Solaris works. There are things I don't like, like the Divisions but I still cross my fingers that they will sort that out. Still wonder how a KDK3 didn't make it into D1.

As for SRMs, yah they are strong but so are AC10/20 and I have seen peopel who used MG very effective. There was a KingCrab with a lot and it killed my componets like it was nothing. Was a stick after a short time.

But then I am playing at the fun level...thankfully ELO starts to put me against other fun players and you see lots of crazy builds there.
I just hope the fun players stick around long enough for the ELO system to sort out the competetive players from the fun players.

#7 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

After messing around with S7 a bit more, I do have two points that need to be addressed to make it a more polished product.

1. Figure out how to make the loading screens last for a shorter period of time than the actual matches themselves. Seriously, I left my desk, put laundry in the dryer, and tossed another load of clothes in the washer, came back it was still loading. I've seen paint dry faster.

2. Remove the 'ready' bug and streamline getting two players into the same division when transferring from other brackets. Why does it take 19 click each for two people to swap into another division AND keep the mech from switching back to the last one they were using? Why do we have a shiny new whack-a-mole mini game for the ready button? It keeps putting us back in 'not ready' mode all by itself.

Aside from those issues, S7 is pretty fun.

#8 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

1. Definitly needs to be shorter.
2. I don't quite understand what you mean. You are in a two man group and want to change the division you play in?
So far my impression is that each player selects a mech and presses "ready" at the top. I don't realy do a lot of clicks there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users