How Hot Is This Mech?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:16 AM

Can figure out if this build is hot or not.

BNC-3E

Smurfy says it has a cooling efficiency of 57% which normally is awesome.

The same build in mechlab has a heat management of 1.09/2 which normally is horrible.

How heat functions with RACs is still a mystery for me and considering that no one else have a straight answer, it still seem to be a mystery for most people too.

I know I could just build it to test it but I don't want to spend 8+ millions c-bills on a build that explodes from heat at the first shot of it's weapons.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:22 AM

Its...complicated.

It really depends on how frequently you use the RAC/2s. But if you've been running them for a while,I wouldn't fire the lasers. OR, if you do want to fire the lasers after, don't fire them during. You'll be able to run the RAC/2s longer before having a real issue (it won't affect the heat to jam time but it will affect the whether you shutdown or not aspect; 3 RAC/2 will jam before you overheat.).

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

As an example... I had a build I've used since not long after Highlanders came out and I got disgusted with the poptart craze and since it barely jumped, etc. and was made to quickly close in on and kill poptarts, it pretty much was unaffected by the Highlander nerfs, buffs, nerfs, rebuffs and super buffs since then.

But, with the skill trees it was impossible to get to the level of the old trees for thermal endurance as well as new troubles encountered by superior firing rates and armor, so the AC/2 while okay lacked the punch and the UAC/2 was just too hot, the LBX-2 took too many slots to work in cohesion with the LBX-10. So I tried a RAC/2... and my god it did everything I wanted and more.

It gave enough of a punch to bolster the rest of the real firepower. It gave enough of a deterrent to discourage enemies from getting those good shots on me. Though it could bring me up on heat, it would jam just long enough for all that heat to disappear without it being overly punishing since I had so many other weapons to keep hammering and hammering and hammering even as I cooled down and if I was still climbing due to it not being a cold map, just cut the lasers off and keep it straight LBX and missiles until I'm cold enough to hammer it all again.

You could try something similar here.

#4 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:17 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 April 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

Its...complicated.

It really depends on how frequently you use the RAC/2s. But if you've been running them for a while,I wouldn't fire the lasers. OR, if you do want to fire the lasers after, don't fire them during. You'll be able to run the RAC/2s longer before having a real issue (it won't affect the heat to jam time but it will affect the whether you shutdown or not aspect; 3 RAC/2 will jam before you overheat.).

That's the problem. No one seems to be able to give a straight answer on how heat works for RACs which in turn makes it hard to say if the heat mechanic for RACs is overpowered, underpowered or works as intended.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:02 AM

View PostChryckan, on 22 April 2018 - 01:17 AM, said:

That's the problem. No one seems to be able to give a straight answer on how heat works for RACs which in turn makes it hard to say if the heat mechanic for RACs is overpowered, underpowered or works as intended.

It works as intended.

What happens is as you use it, there are two bars... The ramp bar, which as it fills will steadily increase the jam chance (supposedly, honestly I've never had it jam until after its full and sometimes for quite some time after the fact).

The second bar is on your heat gauge, it generates 2 heat per second, which steadily climbs. As it gets past the half point, that becomes 4, 4, 4, 6, 6, 6, 8, 8, 8, 10, 10, 10, 12, 12, 12...etc.. Of course you'll jam by the time it hits the tens usually. It hits the first number 4 or 5 times before going up but I'm lazy, and as it goes up the number of instances of the same heat will decline. So the first might be 4 or 5 times, the second might be 3 or 4 times, the third might be 2 or 1 times, the next might be 1 time, the next 1 time, and it just escalates from there.

I don't know about three, but with two you'll never hit high enough to shut down before the weapons jam.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:06 AM

And the reason they can't give you a straight answer is it isn't on the XML for weapons, so even Smurfy doesn't know the specifics. My own information comes from watching it while knowing my threshold, so at any moment I can plug in the percentage and get told exactly where my heat is.

If I build an unskilled AND unquirked (in regards to heat) mech with 10 SHS, I have a mech with 30 base + 10*(1.2) threshold and 10*(1.2) cooling/second.
Therefore I know I shut down at 42 heat. 50% is 21 heat. 25% is 10.5 heat.

The RAC is completely unaffected by ballistic cooldown effects (at least in terms of firing rate, it seems debated as to whether or not the yellow of the cool down bar goes down faster.) So unlike AC/2s, UAC/2s, etc., it won't be pumping out heat faster because of a high ballistic cool down. This is one of the reasons why it worked so well on my Heavy Metal.

Edited by Koniving, 22 April 2018 - 04:10 AM.

#7 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:44 AM

Fairly cool running tbh.
Just slapped that loadout on one of my annis. same heatmanagment although, the anny runs 5% cooler.
Nodes full on heat gen, heat cap and cool run.
Even all 3 ACs barely rack up top 20% heat before jamming kicks in.
2 ACs don't generate heat but keep the heatscale from falling.
4 MPL generate about 22% heat per alpha.
I don't think that this build is any good tbh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users