Incentive

8 replies to this topic

#1 Chatin The Skunk

• PipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:23 PM

Bluntly I have zero interest in 1v1 or 2v2, so the mode isn't for me and isn't for a lot of people for the same reason. Quick play remains my home \o/

However it is a nice addition to the game regardless.

My thought as incentive to get people like me to play it would be to get rewarded mech parts once you have enough reputation with a manufacturer. Currently you get money and bolt ons. My thought was they could start giving you parts and after enough you could construct a free mech with those parts(think omni, but any mech).

Parts could be random like caches, or could be dependent on the sponsor. One might give light parts, one might give heavy or it could be clan/IS dependent.

Alternatively you could be given the 'salvage' at the end of a match from your defeated opponent to be used towards a mech. What you get would be dependent on what mech they had and how badly you damaged them. This could give more focus on selectively targeting shoulders, legs or torsos depending on what you needed.

Since mechs are expensive getting parts towards a 'free' mech from playing the mode seems like a good incentive? Just throwing ideas at the wind.

#2 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:53 AM

No for two reasons.

1) We don't have this kind of mechanic in any other gamemode, what would make it an advantage for those who play solaris. Espacialy the higher ranked solaris players as they would constantly get free mechs.

2) Its a bad economical idea for a company that relys so heavly on mechsales to give them away for free.

Aso, don't force yourself to play a mode you don't like. You will only get bitter and that will transfere to the rest of the game until you don't like any of it. Have been through this with MWO when I tried to like FP as a solo player. Dosn't work and shouldn't work. Its the playground of units.

Edited by Nesutizale, 22 April 2018 - 12:55 AM.

#3 Naqser

• PipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:37 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 22 April 2018 - 12:53 AM, said:

No for two reasons.

1) We don't have this kind of mechanic in any other gamemode, what would make it an advantage for those who play solaris. Espacialy the higher ranked solaris players as they would constantly get free mechs.

2) Its a bad economical idea for a company that relys so heavly on mechsales to give them away for free.

Aso, don't force yourself to play a mode you don't like. You will only get bitter and that will transfere to the rest of the game until you don't like any of it. Have been through this with MWO when I tried to like FP as a solo player. Dosn't work and shouldn't work. Its the playground of units.

2: He says when we just got an Uziel Champion for free, weeks after we got two hero mechs for free just for playing a single match on a specific date, after several events which has offered mechs as rewards.

Considering the vast amount of mechs in this game, and that you can grind for most of.them, being able to get them through rewards could potentially increase player count, and potentially increase the amount of players willing to pay for stuff in the game.
I'd also argue that PGI wouldn't make the "free mech" acquisition rate high.

#4 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:55 AM

Jup and I still concider it a bad idea to give that stuff out for free. Didn't say what PGI does is good ^_^
When you want to go down the road of free stuff we have to concider that everything in this game is for free. Even MC can be gained for free, when you have the patience to wait for the right event.

I think incentives should be more of either beeing able to have more cosmetic stuff to buy, new maps and modes. Stuff that makes the game more interesting.
Also more media coverage would work well. For example I don't even play World of Warships anymore but I still watch their greate Videos because they are that good and it still reminds me of that game beeing their and I even keep it installed and guess what will be played again when I am through with some other games, World of Warships.
And MWO and World of Warships are very smiliar, both have tons of ships/mechs they sell with very little in new maps, sure they edit the maps every now and then but real new stuff? Nope nothing readical new there and still thousands of people play and keep buying stuff.

But I digress...TL:DR is free mechs wont save MWO and its economical not in their best interest to give out stuff on a regular basis.

#5 Naqser

• PipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 22 April 2018 - 04:55 AM, said:

Jup and I still concider it a bad idea to give that stuff out for free. Didn't say what PGI does is good Posted Image
When you want to go down the road of free stuff we have to concider that everything in this game is for free. Even MC can be gained for free, when you have the patience to wait for the right event.

I think incentives should be more of either beeing able to have more cosmetic stuff to buy, new maps and modes. Stuff that makes the game more interesting.
Also more media coverage would work well. For example I don't even play World of Warships anymore but I still watch their greate Videos because they are that good and it still reminds me of that game beeing their and I even keep it installed and guess what will be played again when I am through with some other games, World of Warships.
And MWO and World of Warships are very smiliar, both have tons of ships/mechs they sell with very little in new maps, sure they edit the maps every now and then but real new stuff? Nope nothing readical new there and still thousands of people play and keep buying stuff.

But I digress...TL:DR is free mechs wont save MWO and its economical not in their best interest to give out stuff on a regular basis.

People appreciate free stuff.
Some who like getting free stuff will like those contributing the free stuff.
If someone likes a company more, they're more likely to spend money on product from said company. At least that applies to me.

I wasn't going to buy the Champion Uziel for money, neither were I going to buy the Roughneck or Sun Spider Hero mechs for money. However I'm more interested in spending money on future mechs which catch my eye, more so than I was interested in putting money in this game before when I started. For instance, I'm contemplating getting the Legend Killer for real money, or a second Cipher if I could, may do so when they hit MC purchase levels.

Giving out free stuff isn't about saving MWO, it's about building good will, something that a company does benefit from.

#6 Chatin The Skunk

• PipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

I like games that reward players for playing the game. I do feel that MWO does that but to a lesser regard.

That said I will continue playing regardless(still not try hard tier), but thought it was an 'idea'.

Not really? Giving someone free away doesn't negate people buying mechs when most mechs purchased are 'new' mechs or packages. I'm suggesting already existing mechs, or variants unique/useful to Solaris.

I bought the flea package and will likely buy more! I still liked the free Uziel even if it's squishy as a locust.

#7 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:40 AM

Okay, maybe I am emotionaly to cold for the "I like the company that gives me free stuff" thing. I buy because I want something or because I need it.
I also favor it more if the "free stuff" comes with an event. Asking me to do certain things to optain "whatever" as a reward. Its still "money free" but to me it feels better to have worked for it ingame then just throwing money at the screen.

#8 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

Before trying to convolute anything to this degree, it would be a logical first step for them to bring Solaris match rewards up to levels commensurate to that of Quick Play. As it stands, I can make ~3x the CBills in the same amount of time playing Quick Play, which is absurd.

#9 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:57 AM

A question that is still up in the air for me is. How much can you make then you reached the highest patron/sponsor level?

One approach I could imagne they took was to say "Ok at the highest patron level you earn as much as you do in the same amount of time when playing QP. So all the lower patron levels become less"

That would mean to reach the same income you need to reach the highest patron level....but since we don't know that (again poor communicaiton on PGIs side) we have the impression that S7 isn't worth it when just looking at the income.

We simply need more information on how solaris works.

[Edit]
Looked again through the patchnotes and found this

Accolade is required for milestones to grow while also leading to better Patrons when contracts are renewed. If a player has a high enough Accolade during Patron Contract renegotiation, the new available Patrons will have better payouts.

So we have to wait for the next few days to see if there will be indeed better offerings.

Edited by Nesutizale, 25 April 2018 - 05:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users