Need Very Good Suggestion

24 replies to this topic

#1 Shukran

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

try to be short: i played when mwo had only its client, old maps, old balance when sniper jumping was the only meta.
im one person that "spend more to achieve more" failing at this game because its not the way it works mwo but i stil purchased
atlas D-DC
atlas RS -> sold it after keeping all stuff
that time i lost will to play since atlas was useless. now im sticked to my D-DC raising all skillpoints and updating equip to ac20 + mrm/srm6arte (classic). still i fail in some maps/positioning due to atlas mechanics (still not that tanky as i thought)

so my question is: which is the BEST mech i can purchase with RL money that
  • is quite fast (used to 60km/h i would like 70km/h+)
  • is quite tanky (not 100tons but some compromise)
  • is quite dangerous ( i prefer shitload of damage but tell me..)
  • can play soloQ and maybe solaris? (i dont know how solaris works so this part may be stupid by me to ask)
if u can help with a good answer (also build very appreciated) i appreciate a lot.

ps: i have almost 7 million credits for upgrades in case.

Edited by Shukran, 22 April 2018 - 07:57 AM.

#2 Steel Wool Atlas

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

I'd suggest picking up an Orion variant (I use the ON1-M personally). The Orion's got a reputation for being a bit of a damage sponge with its armor quirks, and while the speed's a bit below your preference it shouldn't be hard to bump it up with a decently sized LFE. It's got a nice mix of hardpoints so you can play around with different builds to see what works for you.

You're still going to want to work on positioning and teamwork, but the Orion's faster and more maneuverable than the Atlas so it's a lot more forgiving in that regard.

Edited by Landes-Knecht, 23 April 2018 - 02:30 PM.

#3 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

There are actually quite a lot of mechs in the game that fit what you are looking for.

Inner Sphere mechs seem less expensive than Clan mechs, but usually that evens out since for most of them you have to also buy a different engine and upgrade them to DHS, etc.

On the Inner Sphere side I would recommend a Banshee or Battlemaster. Banshee is more tanky, but both can easily equip an engine that will get you to 70+ kph.
You can also go with a heavy mech, but those are less tanky of course. But the Thunderbolt can be decently tanky because most builds use a STD engine, and with the LXLs out now you can also use those and make them even more heat efficient.

There are others as well, but those are some of my go to mechs that fit what you mentioned.

On the Clan side there are a lot of options as well. You will probably want to go with a heavy mech as the Timber Wolf, Hellbringer, and Ebon Jaguar are all great mechs.
For Assault size it gets a little tougher as the faster mechs on the Clan side are not often as tanky.
The best mech on the Clan side that fits your requirements is the Mad Cat MK II.
The Warhawk is older but still a good mech. It only goes 64.8kph though.
The Marauder IIC is also decent.

As you can see it is really a personal choice and sadly I may have given too many options.
If that is the case just get a Mad Cat MK II. It is a solid mech. This is how I run mine and it does well in QP, but is not meta by any means.

Also the DDC is still a decent mech. I have started running mine like this since the new tech came out. There are also a lot of good LXL360 builds out there. But they are much slower than the 70KPH you mentioned.

Edited by PeeWrinkle, 24 April 2018 - 07:27 AM.

#4 Shukran

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:28 AM

thank you both, i though noone was going to reply .

i purchased a EBJ with full laser build. interesting mech, but i have to lose my attitude to tank. .

i will give a look at Orion.

@peewrinkle: which is better between inner sphere and clan? i left before those were implemented in the past.

but is not meta by any means.
what is META in mwo? is there a list or something?
if u had to choose 3(better if 2) mechs that fullfil my requests what would u tell me?
meantime i look for your suggestion already posted

appreciate the effort,

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

Wouldn't buy the Orion for cash.
You can net it for cbills.

This said... Anything that's 75 OR 85 tons fits everything there.
From that, peek at the "Store" and look at 75 and 85 ton machines. You can also go 70 and 90 tons with good choices in the website store too. Don't buy with MC, it's more expensive than mechs are in the website store, plus you can net three for a fairly universal price.

Meta:
Laser vomit.
Missile vomit (typically SRM, ATM / MRM).
Ballistic vomit.
Machine gun/pulse laser vomit.

Basically if it can puke it, its meta.

#6 Shukran

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

View PostKoniving, on 24 April 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

Wouldn't buy the Orion for cash.
You can net it for cbills.

This said... Anything that's 75 OR 85 tons fits everything there.
From that, peek at the "Store" and look at 75 and 85 ton machines. You can also go 70 and 90 tons with good choices in the website store too. Don't buy with MC, it's more expensive than mechs are in the website store, plus you can net three for a fairly universal price.

Meta:
Laser vomit.
Missile vomit (typically SRM, ATM / MRM).
Ballistic vomit.
Machine gun/pulse laser vomit.

Basically if it can puke it, its meta.

yeah i understand it

i already hate lrm i feel they are OP. i mean, they can literally avoid obstacles, have no counters and do good dps. for just clicking 1button.
but since i restarted playing this game after years, i dont want to complain already.
i lok for your suggestion.

maybe loking for some lrm vomit.

#7 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

View PostShukran, on 24 April 2018 - 08:28 AM, said:

... but i have to lose my attitude to tank. .

That is something you should really strive to as there are no tanks in this game. Assaults don't tank. They just have more armour to spend to do damage and to soak damage with during a push.

#8 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:18 AM

View PostShukran, on 24 April 2018 - 09:03 AM, said:

yeah i understand it

i already hate lrm i feel they are OP. i mean, they can literally avoid obstacles, have no counters and do good dps. for just clicking 1button.
but since i restarted playing this game after years, i dont want to complain already.
i lok for your suggestion.

maybe loking for some lrm vomit.

LRMs have the most counters of any weapon system in the game, they're trash. They're extremely slow moving compared to other projectiles and give you a warning the moment one locks onto you, just take cover to avoid fire. You can also run ECM to make it extremely difficult for enemies to get a lock on you. You can also run AMS to reduce the damage LRMs do to you (and totally negate it if they are firing only 5 missiles per AMS module you have), You can also get radar deprivation from the skill tree and max it out so that locks break instantly after you break line of sight. Then there's always just standing under something. They also have a minimum range of 180m for IS and do reduced damage down to 0 the closer you get under 180m for Clan, so rushing them works out.

Surprisingly a lot of people find them OP, but I can't understand why with how easy they are to dodge and defeat and how you can just bring ECM and pretty much never even get locked onto aside from standing right under a UAV or having a NARC beacon on you or a dedicated TAG mech.

Also, the meta in Solaris is very different from that of quickplay. In quickplay high alpha lasers and poptarting/peeking mechs with frontloaded damage are the meta, meanwhile in Solaris its mostly brawlers and ballistic boats. Quickplay also generally uses faster mechs while in Solaris speed isn't a requirement.

If you're having trouble with LRMs then I'd suggest a Hellbringer, it comes with ECM and most people run it with 2 heavy large lasers and 6 ER medium lasers for a 72 damage laser alpha. Its practically useless in Solaris due to the high heat, high cooldowns, and no ability to take cover after a shot without the enemy running up on you, but in quickplay it racks up high scores.

Also, someone mentioned Banshee is more tanky than Battlemaster above. That's incorrect. Banshee has terrible hitboxes and no durability quirks while Battlemaster has somewhat better hitboxes, can torso twist faster, and has durability quirks. Battlemaster 2C is overall the better mech compared to the Banshee, which fell out of style over a year ago. Battlemaster 2C is a pretty great IS mech to have in general, though no ECM.

#9 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 09 June 2022 - 09:28 AM.

#10 Shukran

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 24 April 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

LRMs have the most counters of any weapon system in the game, they're trash. They're extremely slow moving compared to other projectiles and give you a warning the moment one locks onto you, just take cover to avoid fire. You can also run ECM to make it extremely difficult for enemies to get a lock on you. You can also run AMS to reduce the damage LRMs do to you (and totally negate it if they are firing only 5 missiles per AMS module you have), You can also get radar deprivation from the skill tree and max it out so that locks break instantly after you break line of sight. Then there's always just standing under something. They also have a minimum range of 180m for IS and do reduced damage down to 0 the closer you get under 180m for Clan, so rushing them works out.

Surprisingly a lot of people find them OP, but I can't understand why with how easy they are to dodge and defeat and how you can just bring ECM and pretty much never even get locked onto aside from standing right under a UAV or having a NARC beacon on you or a dedicated TAG mech.

Also, the meta in Solaris is very different from that of quickplay. In quickplay high alpha lasers and poptarting/peeking mechs with frontloaded damage are the meta, meanwhile in Solaris its mostly brawlers and ballistic boats. Quickplay also generally uses faster mechs while in Solaris speed isn't a requirement.

If you're having trouble with LRMs then I'd suggest a Hellbringer, it comes with ECM and most people run it with 2 heavy large lasers and 6 ER medium lasers for a 72 damage laser alpha. Its practically useless in Solaris due to the high heat, high cooldowns, and no ability to take cover after a shot without the enemy running up on you, but in quickplay it racks up high scores.

Also, someone mentioned Banshee is more tanky than Battlemaster above. That's incorrect. Banshee has terrible hitboxes and no durability quirks while Battlemaster has somewhat better hitboxes, can torso twist faster, and has durability quirks. Battlemaster 2C is overall the better mech compared to the Banshee, which fell out of style over a year ago. Battlemaster 2C is a pretty great IS mech to have in general, though no ECM.

U SEEMS to be someone experienced. can u explain me how solaris works? better than quickplay?
a mech i can use in quickplay to skill for solaris?
i need to learn again to play the game. basically.

#11 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

So, solaris is 1v1 or 2v2 matches. In Quickplay you can hide behind the team and poke with long range weaponry, or run sup optimal builds but get by with decent tactics. In Solaris all those problems come to the fore. Your on your own, or only have the one wingman, whose relying on you.

Personally, I like the battlemaster, and feel that with a good BLR-1G to start you could go places. Something like This maybe? However, I add that that it's kinda a waste since, you know, you're looking for something to just purchase with real monies, and that could all be done with Cbills. (Honestly, I feel that engine's a waste, since I'd rather stick with 25 rated increments, but 350'd still be in the 69 kph speeds.) Maybe hold off on the battlemaster as a, "In success" sorta plan. Let's talk heavies than!

Do you have any weaponry preference? Other'n not lrms? I could tailor the mech suggestion to your preferences, rather'n sticking to my favoured suggestions, which always have a bit of everything, (Note the dual ballistic and one missile slot in the suggested Battlemaster.)

If you'r not too energy reliant, I'd suggest the POWERHOUSE. A very nice hero mech that can go heavy into ballistics or missiles.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 24 April 2018 - 11:03 AM.

#12 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

View PostShukran, on 22 April 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

try to be short: i played when mwo had only its client, old maps, old balance when sniper jumping was the only meta.
im one person that "spend more to achieve more" failing at this game because its not the way it works mwo but i stil purchased
atlas D-DC
that time i lost will to play since atlas was useless. now im sticked to my D-DC raising all skillpoints and updating equip to ac20 + mrm/srm6arte (classic). still i fail in some maps/positioning due to atlas mechanics (still not that tanky as i thought)

• can play soloQ and maybe solaris? (i dont know how solaris works so this part may be stupid by me to ask)
if u can help with a good answer (also build very appreciated) i appreciate a lot.

You can not buy skill...
That beeing said it realy depends on what you are good at.... so first play mechs to fing out where you are good at then ask wich mech to buy.

#13 Shukran

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 24 April 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

You can not buy skill...
That beeing said it realy depends on what you are good at.... so first play mechs to fing out where you are good at then ask wich mech to buy.

abolutely. but my first experience with mwo had been being immobile big block of immobile short range weapon while opponent jump ppc 'd me from km..then game has changed. still i had those mech. and i dont like the way atlas is still working.

anyway:
i dont think im goot at anything since im newbie again.

i like to flank.
i like to being "invisible", then come from behind and destroy you without being noticed OR without too much risk.
is it possible?

i feel i dislike lasers.
used to smr6 artemis i prefer visible shells.

Edited by Shukran, 24 April 2018 - 11:16 AM.

#14 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:10 PM

View PostShukran, on 24 April 2018 - 09:56 AM, said:

U SEEMS to be someone experienced. can u explain me how solaris works? better than quickplay?
a mech i can use in quickplay to skill for solaris?
i need to learn again to play the game. basically.

Its not really better or worse than quickplay, its just totally different. Quickplay is 12v12 teambased fight and Solaris is 1v1 duels (there is a 2v2 mode if you have a friend). The skills and XP are independent of the mode you are in, so the mech will be the same in each.

In quickplay you have a whole team and focus fire is a big factor, it prevents lone mechs from charging into enemies entirely since they'll be blasted by the whole team before they do any damage. This focus fire also means that high alpha builds are very useful since it means less people on the team have to focus on the same guy at once to kill him. Due to all the high alpha laser builds around, jump jetting builds with frontloaded damage and just very agile mechs with frontloaded damage became a sort of counter to those builds by peeking out for a split second to get their damage off, skilled pilots usually being back behind cover by the time their shots hit, giving no time for a high alpha laser build to respond. A sidegrade in all of this would be the ballistic boat which has lower alpha than laser builds but higher DPS and can be used to push into laser builds while they're running hot or to hold lines against pushes from brawling teams. Brawling teams are another option that usually only appear in group queue in which a full team of 12 players picks either very fast or very well armored mechs (generally fast in group queue due to tonnage restrictions for 12 man teams, generally more armored shock and awe for faction play IS teams followed by fast mechs) and rush the enemy position quickly and while using cover so that they can overwhelm a high alpha team and wipe them out quickly.

In lower tier quick play there will very often be players who are somewhat out of the loop, such as LRM boats and snipers hiding behind a team rather than supporting the team from the middle, these are prime targets for light mechs looking to pick off stragglers. Also, flanking generally doesn't mean just going right behind the enemy, rather it means going beside the enemy and attacking in unison with your team so that the enemy is under fire from two directions, this panics them as they are unable to take cover and allows you or your team to get shots to their rear or at least get shots on them constantly.

Meanwhile in Solaris the tactics are a bit different depending on the division. Generally the heaviest mechs of the division utterly dominate those below. Div1 is just Annihilator DPS races, very simple, just bring an Annihilator with high DPS and shoot the enemy CT the entire time. Other divisions have somewhat more brawling, especially once you get down to division 4 where there aren't as many assault mechs so that torso twisting puts in more work. Though once you get down into divisions 6 and 7 legging becomes the meta since the mechs can torso twist damage effectively. Also Division 7 is just bring a Vindicator to win since it has very high quirks and respectable damage output against many mechs that are otherwise equally bad as a Vindicator without its quirks.

Division 4 Solaris is one of my favored zones with a Dragon 1C and a frontloaded damage build relying heavily on torso twisting, though I do best in Division 1 where you mostly just win in the mechlab.

#15 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

View PostShukran, on 24 April 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

i like to being "invisible", then come from behind and destroy you without being noticed OR without too much risk.
is it possible?

Let me tell you about Stealth Armour. This GRF-2N can toggle stealth armour to gain full ecm coverage at all ranges at the cost of no heat sinking. Now, there's some quirks, like if you're targetted when you go stealth, they can hold lock till you break it, and it'll get switched off via ppc blasts like ecm n' such, and it'll get defeated by the Mk I eyeball. But by and large, it's the sneaksy commando option for those who wanna go sneaksy.

Prolly not best for Solaris, as it means you're just running an hiding from your opponent all match, which gets old fast, but it can be very useful in quickplay.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 24 April 2018 - 03:03 PM.

#16 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:23 PM

View PostLeone, on 24 April 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

Let me tell you about Stealth Armour. This GRF-2N can toggle stealth armour to gain full ecm coverage at all ranges at the cost of no heat sinking. Now, there's some quirks, like if you're targetted when you go stealth, they can hold lock till you break it, and it'll get switched off via ppc blasts like ecm n' such, and it'll get defeated by the Mk I eyeball. But by and large, it's the sneaksy commando option for those who wanna go sneaksy.

Prolly not best for Solaris, as it means you're just running an hiding from your opponent all match, which gets old fast, but it can be very useful in quickplay.

~Leone.

One issue with stealth armor is that its pretty much only relevant inside of 270m range since ECM alone with its nodes upgraded is functionally the same as stealth armor outside of 270m with the benefit of allowing heat to dissipate.

#17 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:39 AM

For quickplay, just pick whatever you like and have fun.

If you want something more mobile than an assault, I'd suggest picking a heavy.
The Hellbringer, Ebon Jaguar and Warhammer are the mechs most recommended from this weight class.

#18 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:46 AM

View PostShukran, on 22 April 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

atlas D-DC

7 million C bills ?.Have you already finished the Academy yet? There you can get some extra Cbills for going trough Basic Training.
. When you finish the academy Click "explore academy" there you have shooting ranges and an active combat zone when you walk over to the Container cran and Tanks. The whole other map side is a active combat zone.
where you can try out your Builds under enemy fire.

Edit: before you buy Mechs for real money, try out the Trial Mechs and the C bill mechs. If a mech of them fits to your playstyle and you like to play them, THEN i would thinking of spending Real money. My firsr real money Mech back in CB was the Ilya muromets because i had all other Catphracts and loved the mech and the possible loadouts.
. So i buyed the Hero version and buyed some premium time and with both bonuses together i farmed in 4-5 weeks over 220 million C bills and had no more issues of to less c bills.

Edited by Mighty Spike, 25 April 2018 - 05:59 AM.

#19 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:58 AM

View PostShukran, on 24 April 2018 - 08:28 AM, said:

thank you both, i though noone was going to reply .

i purchased a EBJ with full laser build. interesting mech, but i have to lose my attitude to tank. .

i will give a look at Orion.

@peewrinkle: which is better between inner sphere and clan? i left before those were implemented in the past.
what is META in mwo? is there a list or something?
if u had to choose 3(better if 2) mechs that fullfil my requests what would u tell me?
meantime i look for your suggestion already posted

appreciate the effort,

Clan mechs are superior to IS mechs in general.
Metamechs.com used to be the place to go for builds and tier lists, but that hasn't been updated for a while.
Mechspecs.com is more up to date, but anyone can post builds there so there will be some trash builds.

Right now boating lasers and direct damage weapons are the meta. That's the short way of stating what is meta.

#20 Shukran

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

after lot of researches on internet and theorycrafting, i finally found my mech:

EBJ-B . the average meta build consist in 6 med lasers and 2 pulse large. after tests and stuff i preferred to 5 med and 2pulse + target comp II .
im having lot of fun at 81km/h + more than average damage.
skill-wise i specced in laser skills, armor and operation to maximize cooling and heat gen ( even if i dont really understand difference between heat gen, flame ventilation and cool run, w.e.)

i would like to know if someone could suggest me the "best" mech for stealth build since i feel i want to test it. i died a couple of times to invisible opponents , even when i tried to turn around to look for him. i read about artic cheeta, assasin and others. need a name.

also

anyone can tell me a mech that can fit nicely some longest range weapon (not lrm) ? some sniper-like, if u get what i mean

for the rest, atlas is not my mech. now i undersstand. too slow and not that "tanky" for the price and stuff.

thank you

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users