- - - - -

What's A Good Match Score/damage Done To Aim For?

47 replies to this topic

#1 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

Topic title is pretty much the question: What's a good match score and "damage done" I should aim for at the end of every match? I'm specifically looking for a break point where, anything over it, I can feel confident I contributed to the victory. And anything under it, I know I was carried and need to improve in spite of any victory. It'll help me re-evaluate the way I'm playing, and perhaps in designing mechs going down the road.

Please, let's leave the e-peen out of this because I realize there are players who are able to consistently score 500 in each category. I'm not that guy and I probably won't ever get that good given that MWO is not the one and only game I play.

Edited by Signal27, 22 April 2018 - 11:27 AM.

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

In QP: 450-500 dmg and >250 matchscore
In Fp: 1200 - 1500 dmg ... score depends heaviely on how many mechs you used

Those would be numbers noone would be sad about when they where done by a team member.

Edited by The Basilisk, 22 April 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#3 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

I like over 400 in quick play, but normally get higher.

Faction warfare, I always try for over 2000, but above 1500 is ok,. Now if you are narcing for people I do not care if you got 500 damage.

That being said, I will have matches where I do not do much damage or are playing the littlest of LRM boats (LRM Locust). (NARCing)

Then there are other matches where in an assault I know that I am going to be the tank for the team and just try to loose both arms, and torso's before earning a glorious death.

Then I know the computer that you play on makes a difference. Sub-potato, potato, just over 24 fps, fast and those ludicrous people with 100+ fps.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

It completely depends on what Mech you are piloting, if you are in a Heavy/Assualt Mech you have a much higher chance of getting high damage than in a Light Mech because you can put out damage several times faster and can suvive several times as much damage (but admittidly you are easier to hit).

I mostly play quick play, in group queue, in my experiance the average damage on the winning team is usualy between 300 and 420, if the average damage is say 380 and you get 250+ in a Light Mech you pulled your weight, if however you get the same 250 in an Assualt Mech then you probably underperformed.

what used to be a common piece of advice which has gone out of fashion but is still mostly relevet, do 5 times your tonage in damage and you did your share (100 in a Locust, 250 in a Hunchback, 500 in an Atlas), 10+ times your damage and you did well.

In my experiance if I am obsessing over damage it rarely comes, if I just play I tend to get much higher damage than if I am focusing on it.

#5 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:37 PM

Most of the time... i do more damage in light and medium than in assault mech.

But aiming for over 400 damage and one kill is quite good but doing at least the amount of armor you have in damage is a good barometer..

Edited by Damnedtroll, 22 April 2018 - 01:37 PM.

#6 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

In QP, it depends on if you are using LRMs or other inefficiently killing weapons like Streak SRMs.

If you are, then anything under 500-600 damage would be considered bad.
If you aren't, then aim for at least 350 damage.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

Ideally, 100 to 200 damage per kill for a really efficient score.

If going for the moneys, well get as much damage as you can as a heavy/assault, or as a medium/light go for as many paydays as you can (moving in formation, hit and run, etc).

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:45 PM

If you get an exceptionally high damage score and not a kill to show for it, it means you're providing a lot of support fire but other than peppering enemies you're not being aggressive enough to follow through.

If you get a lot of kills with very little damage, it means you're good at securing kills...but there's a chance that you're vulturing them more than actually earning them (unless they're straight up headshots).

As for match score... I haven't got much to say here, I usually get between 100 to 280 match score with the ever rare 300+. Without really knowing what earns them... hard to say what would mean you've done good.

#9 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:21 AM

Whatever your mechs tonnage times 5.

Atlas (100 tons) should aim for 500 damage
Locust (20 tons) should get at least 100 damage

A 265 ton IS dropdecks in fw should get 13-1400 damage
A 255 ton clan dropdeck should get 12-1300 damage

#10 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:48 AM

A decent match score is anything above 230 as that is where the 'average' is in MWO right now based on the simple numbers over the 28,000 odd regular players (with more than 10 games).

This means you need to be outputting at least 400 damage on average, per match.

Most mechs have an alpha of 40-50. Some a lot more, some a little less. When you break it down to simplistic terms that is shooting 8-10 times. Up to 15 times if you are carrying lighter payloads and so on. So when you think about it, over a 3-4 min engagement, that is not actually a lot.

The main issue is people do not THINK during a game. Pay attention to where enemies are moving, where your team is (all of this is on the minimap).

View PostKoniving, on 22 April 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

Ideally, 100 to 200 damage per kill for a really efficient score.

Except sub 200dmg for a kill is unrealistic for 95-97% of the player base to kill a 65-70T mech. That number is only what the 1% elite are capable of.

You cannot, even at a mid level of play, kill a heavy with 200dmg as most are packing 140 hitpoints before skillmaze. Upwards of 160pts with it. Thus most players will expend 250dmg on one on average as they cannot aim properly and then add in the variable of the opponent you are shooting at can twist even half capably, it could be 300dmg+ easily.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 23 April 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

Except sub 200dmg for a kill is unrealistic for 95-97% of the player base to kill a 65-70T mech. That number is only what the 1% elite are capable of.

You cannot, even at a mid level of play, kill a heavy with 200dmg as most are packing 140 hitpoints before skillmaze. Upwards of 160pts with it. Thus most players will expend 250dmg on one on average as they cannot aim properly and then add in the variable of the opponent you are shooting at can twist even half capably, it could be 300dmg+ easily.

Hence "really efficient kill". Twin Heavy Gauss, CT only shots. Things of that nature. Keep in mind that this would also be factoring in Quickplay, in which he isn't likely the only person to have done damage to a target (and if he is, he's either alone, foolish, or foolishly alone).

You're one to usually point out how bad I am, and yet...
Posted Image
Four kills in 583 damage. That's within 100 to 200 per kill.

You're not factoring that other players do also exist and help in the endeavors, even so... this was with 3 solo kills (and 3 kill assists).

So yes, it is entirely possible to do this as part of a team (even the ones that would rather shoot each other than the enemy that we wouldn't really call 'a team') in quickplay, even at the "lowest levels" of gameplay.

(Also comical to keep in mind, the above was done with LBX-2s only [with 2 SPL as backup])
(Fixed the LRM comment; this wasn't the Stalker that I thought it was; that's my legend killer.)

Edited by Koniving, 23 April 2018 - 09:21 AM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:27 AM

Posted Image
That's the LRMs + medium laser score that I thought I had put up earlier for clarification. Twin LRM-20 with Artemis, TAG and a single medium laser because luls.

But still well within 100 to 200 damage per kill acquired.

#13 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:36 AM

View Postnaterist, on 23 April 2018 - 08:21 AM, said:

Whatever your mechs tonnage times 5.

Atlas (100 tons) should aim for 500 damage
Locust (20 tons) should get at least 100 damage

A 265 ton IS dropdecks in fw should get 13-1400 damage
A 255 ton clan dropdeck should get 12-1300 damage

That is an extreme and unrealistic weight bias.

It's more like this:
Light = 300 damage
Mediums = 350 damage
Heavies = 350 damage
Assaults = 400 damage

View PostKoniving, on 23 April 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

Hence "really efficient kill". Twin Heavy Gauss, CT only shots. Things of that nature. Keep in mind that this would also be factoring in Quickplay, in which he isn't likely the only person to have done damage to a target (and if he is, he's either alone, foolish, or foolishly alone).

You're one to usually point out how bad I am, and yet...

Four kills in 583 damage. That's within 100 to 200 per kill.

You're not factoring that other players do also exist and help in the endeavors, even so... this was with 3 solo kills (and 3 kill assists).

So yes, it is entirely possible to do this as part of a team (even the ones that would rather shoot each other than the enemy that we wouldn't really call 'a team') in quickplay, even at the "lowest levels" of gameplay.

(Also comical to keep in mind, the above was done with LBX-2s only [with 2 SPL as backup])
(Fixed the LRM comment; this wasn't the Stalker that I thought it was; that's my legend killer.)

View PostKoniving, on 23 April 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

That's the LRMs + medium laser score that I thought I had put up earlier for clarification. Twin LRM-20 with Artemis, TAG and a single medium laser because luls.

But still well within 100 to 200 damage per kill acquired.

What justcallme A S H was saying is that very few players are going to average such a low amount of damage per kill in the long run.

Sure it is possible to do it in a single battle or even a couple battles, but when all kills across all battles are counted, the average damage per kill is much higher.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

I agree. That isn't going to become an average that everyone will achieve.

But the question wasn't about the "average", it was the goal for what to see at the end of any or every match. A goal to strive for and an average is not the same.

"What's a good damage done to aim for?"

Not "what's a good average to get over time."
Not "what's a good stat to see on my sheet in 5 years."
Etc.

What is a good match score or damage done to aim for when a match is done... In other words, what is a good "Goal" to strive for in any given match. (Where does "average" come into play here?)

So I gave a realistically achievable goal. Will it always happen? No. There's times when nothing works out right. But it is a goal to strive for, one that when achieved one can look back and say "I did good."

#15 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

View PostKoniving, on 23 April 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

So I gave a realistically achievable goal. Will it always happen? No. There's times when nothing works out right. But it is a goal to strive for, one that when achieved one can look back and say "I did good."

In long term averages, such low damage per kill isn't a realistically achievable goal. It is something that can realistically only be achieved under rare circumstances in the short term, like when exclusively fighting light mechs or terrible players that don't know how to twist and/or run isXLs.

My own damage per kill is somewhere in the 400-500 range, depending on build. Eg, in the 10 Solaris 1v1 Div 2 wins I just did with Annihilator 1E, I averaged 486 damage per win.

#16 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:00 PM

I look at the stats in a different way. For me, on a win I should have a kill or assist on 8 or more mechs. On a loss if my kills/assists adds up to the number of mechs our team killed I feel I did what I could for the situation.

When you're winning but only hitting 5 or fewer mechs it generally means you've been out of position for the match or died really early. There can be extenuating circumstances (like being the tip of the spear on a push), but when you get more experienced you'll kind of just know whether your actions contributed to your team's win regardless of what the stats show.

#17 Baron Georg

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:24 PM

For all you pilots out there doing 450+ dam per game in non faction matches. Where the hell are your training tips/help. Why is it getting competent, useful and prolonged help for those that need it so hard to find? What is your training method -- follow me and do what I do or more focused on builds and map knowledge?? Do you want a better game/opponent that is challenging or are you happy seal clubbing?

I want to contribute more to the teams I am on. Its no fun being on the side that get stomped 0-12.

#18 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:58 AM

View PostBaron Georg SCA, on 23 April 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

For all you pilots out there doing 450+ dam per game in non faction matches. Where the hell are your training tips/help. Why is it getting competent, useful and prolonged help for those that need it so hard to find? What is your training method -- follow me and do what I do or more focused on builds and map knowledge?? Do you want a better game/opponent that is challenging or are you happy seal clubbing?

I want to contribute more to the teams I am on. Its no fun being on the side that get stomped 0-12.

First of, personally I aim for at least 300 points of damage. If I get that in a match I feel I pulled my weight at least. Over 400 and I feel I had a good match no matter win or lose.
I don't count kills particularly much since those are very situational. A good locust player can get half a dozen kills while not breaking 150 damage by focusing on exposed CTs, mean while the assault player can get 500-600 damage easily without a single kill because he cracked open the CTs for the Locus pilot. But that's as it should be since MWO is more about team work than kills.

Now as for tips about getting high damage scores. Mine is as follows:

As everything it is always about practice. The only way to get good is to play a lot.

That said there are some things you could do.

1. Lower the sensitivity on your mouse and turn off any mouse acceleration. The default settings for this game is way to high. I have a 1000 dpi and my sensitivity is about 1 in the settings. This allows you to move and shield quickly while having a stable aim. As for acceleration, make sure it's off in game and in windows (or your operating system) too.

2. Don't be over eager. The best way to get a high score is not to go looking for them. When I started out I always led the pack, which only got me killed. Now I stay in the back and wait for the enemy to poke out so I can shoot them. This is the hardest thing to learn for new players as MWO differs from other FPS because of it's slower pace. Look at CS where players run around to quickly get snap headshots. In MWO it's more about slowly grinding down your enemy and finding the best tactical position for the deciding push. So try to have patience.

3. Stick with the group. Never go off alone but always stick with the group and especially the heavies. MWO is all about team work and mutual protection. Help your team by sticking with the team and shooting at the same target they are shooting at. This is why good players spams the R key. To show who they are shooting at and where the enemy is. Wanna get good scores, do the same.

4. Learn the art of the push. Despite the current sniping/poking meta in the QP queue 95% of the games I play ends when the winning side makes a successful push. It takes experience to know when and where to push but until you learn that, just make sure you always support a push. That's something even the newst player can do. Whenever someone close to you indicate that he's making a push, you simply step out next to his mech and walk forward, shooting at the same targets he do and you keep moving forward until either you are dead or the enemy is. NO BACKTRACKING!

5. Never stand still. MWO is a game of fire and movement. You are not a turret. Always move. Always relocate after shooting. Always move so you are close to the group. Always move back and forth between flanks looking for shots and opportunities. You get stationary you're dead. You keep shooting from predictable positions you are dead.

6. And finally. Understand that MWO isn't a FPS game. It is a resource management game. When ever I hear a player say things like; trade armour or spend armour or don't waste heat, I know that's a good veteran player.
Your armour isn't there to protect you. It's the currency you pay with to hurt the enemy. Unless you can make sure your damage is greater than the amount of armour you lose, never take the shot. Me, I always look at my armour after shooting to see if I was successful in hurting the enemy. Not how much damage I did but how much armour I lost determine if I did good or bad.
And heat is the currency you pay to fire your weapons. If you can't afford to fire your weapons, then you can't afford to hurt the enemy in which case your mech is just a useless piece of metal and you're not pulling your weight in the team (and certainly not getting any high damage scores). That's why the most important skill in this game is learning how to manage heat. That starts out when you decide the build for your mech so that it's not to hot and continuing in the game knowing how and when to fire what weapon system.
Me, I get annoyed when I cause my mech to overheat on Terra Therma because that's a sign that I played badly.

MWO is a complex game. Not only does it take several different skills on the battlefield but you also need to understand alot of the background mechanics that affects you on the battlefield. Which takes time and practice to learn.
But by following those 6 tips while you learn the rest should slowly improve your scores.

Edited by Chryckan, 24 April 2018 - 01:01 AM.

#19 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:58 AM

There is great information here. Applying it is vastly harder than just reading it. My damage is usually low even when I get kills, in QP I scored 167 damage for 2 Kills,1 Kill Assist. Why because I try to attack damaged enemy.

#20 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:13 AM

View PostSignal27, on 22 April 2018 - 11:27 AM, said:

Topic title is pretty much the question: What's a good match score and "damage done" I should aim for at the end of every match? I'm specifically looking for a break point where, anything over it, I can feel confident I contributed to the victory. And anything under it, I know I was carried and need to improve in spite of any victory. It'll help me re-evaluate the way I'm playing, and perhaps in designing mechs going down the road.

Please, let's leave the e-peen out of this because I realize there are players who are able to consistently score 500 in each category. I'm not that guy and I probably won't ever get that good given that MWO is not the one and only game I play.

I would ignore your score and damage done totally and first focus on what you actually do in game... good scores and (effective) damage come sooner or later anyway.

You should first learn to read the battle-field, especially when there's hardly any proper communication and organisation going on. You first need to stay alive and support the team for as long as possible, finding the right balance between aggressiveness and self preservation. You need to figure out where and where not to be relative to your and the enemy team. Get a feel for timing and space on the battlefield. Learn how to manage your heat and prevent over-heating right in the middle of a brawl... (note to self lol)

My advice would be to take a decent medium, like a Hunchback or Stormcrow or any mech that is decently fast (+/-100km/h) with decent firepower and decent armor, a mech that is forgiving. Then stick around the main-group, dont be on the frontline like a hero, dont be in the back like a coward, but stay a bit on the flanks and keep an eye out there. And use your mid-range weapons to poke and harass your enemies from a slight angle, preferably when they are focussed on the rest of your team. Pay attention to the movement of your team and prevent over extending or falling behind so you can get singled out.

Once you got the above covered, then worry about scores and damages (by that time you will already be on the scoreboard... Posted Image )

Edited by B3R3ND, 24 April 2018 - 03:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users