Solaris, To Late For The Game

13 replies to this topic

#1 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:28 AM

Solaris comes far to late in the livecycle of MWO. Its something that should have been there from the start.

It would have been a wonderfull tool to get people into the game by restricting them to play 1v1 first, learing the basics of taking cover, twisting, etc in a quite simple way.

Then learn to team up with someone in 2v2, then go to QP with 4v4/8v8 to learn how to operate in a group and finaly open the game to FW where they get into the big units and have awesome battles.

All guided by small tutorials on the way. Espacialy the Mechlab needs a freaking video tutorial, better several, to teach new players how to do things.

Had it allways with new people I wanted to introduce...they open the mechlab and deinstall the game.
They where also, allways overwhelmed by "there are 12 targets to shoot at, what should I do? Oh wait there is a status screen now, its says "You are dead". Well looks like I will play something else then."

#2 calmdawn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:53 AM

There is an other example - WoW.

Most of the former players are not playing it anymore, but it keeps evolving. Right now there is tutorial for everything, and quest item in the world are enlighten. WoW used to be much more complicated, but it is evolving and bringing new customers and resources.

Edited by calmdawn, 23 April 2018 - 12:53 AM.

#3 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:17 AM

Yah but then WoW is a big name. That alone attrackts people to try it out and with the kind of resources Blizzard has its not that much of a problem.

MWO had a very rought start and its a niche not a mainstream product. So you have to be better from the start.

Putting that aside. I like Solaris, I bought the Heros just to show my support and that I appriciate that they do something new, still it hurts to see that this could have been what made it so much easier to bring the people in when I had the chance. Now when I ask the same people again, telling them that they can do 1v1 and have an easier way to get into the game they still refuse because they still remember their first experiance.

I hope that PGI would adopt the way of Solaris beeing the first impression and work hard on that mode to become the very best first impression it can be.

#4 calmdawn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:31 AM

I have bought Solaris pack for the same reason.

Meanwhile Solaris mode might be not very friendly for some sort of ppl, afterall, there is no team play. Personally, I consider Solaris 7 a wider tutorial: I´ve learnt so much about the game for the last two days, maybe more than I ever knew before.

But if they want more ppl to play this game, they need more modes to meet requirements of more ppl and it is not an easy task. But I hope they can do this, I love MWO.

Edited by calmdawn, 23 April 2018 - 01:31 AM.

#5 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:19 AM

Personally, I consider Solaris 7 a wider tutorial: I´ve learnt so much about the game for the last two days, maybe more than I ever knew before.

Exactly !

That is my point why PGI would do good on polishing S7 as fast as possible and make it the starting point for every player that is new to the game.
Along give new players a good video tutorial (see World of Warships new beginner guids) and you have an excelent point of entry that can draw in new people.

#6 calmdawn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:58 AM

I wonder if developers do care of our opinion.

#7 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:06 AM

I think they kinda do. Problem is that we don't get much feedback here as we might get on twitter or whatever russ is using.
The forums are sadly very limited in replays from the Devs. On the other hand I understand that with all the salt that sometimes overcomes the forums.

Also we don't quite have the entire picture from what their goals are and what data they have so that also creates the impression that they don't listen to us, they might well do but come to other conclusions that we do because they have different data.
So do they read and care? I think so. Do they communicate that? Not realy and just starting with boardgame development as a hobby myself I have to say...sometimes its better not to listen to others ^_^
One of my friends comes up with the greatest rules but when I sit down and run the numbers it allways shows that these are just there to give him an advantage in a certain situation and not following the logic/theme of the game. So I drop them and get allways negative feedback from him.

Guess that it could be similar here.

#8 AccessTime

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:03 AM

I get the same type of response when I try to get my friends to play this game, people don't want to come back to a game that "failed them", they had bad experiences or were overwhelmed in the past, they'd rather go on and play something "new" etc.

Honestly I think the chance the game has is to try to tie in with the harebrained schemes battletech release or mechwarrior 5 when it comes out, solaris can be a very good experience but maybe there needs to be a trial mech only league in division 8 where you choose one of three trial mechs that are evenly balanced, only one map to learn and such.

#9 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

If you're friends are turned off by the mechlab. There's always Titanfall.

#10 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:13 PM

First two steps:
1) Remove the re-equip costs associated with Armor, Structure, Heat Sink type, and Missile Guidance systems.
2) Increase Solaris CBill rewards to be commensurate with a similar investment of time in Quick Play.

#11 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:34 PM

View PostThroe, on 24 April 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

First two steps:
1) Remove the re-equip costs associated with Armor, Structure, Heat Sink type, and Missile Guidance systems.
2) Increase Solaris CBill rewards to be commensurate with a similar investment of time in Quick Play.

pretty much this. id love to drop in solaris more often, but everytime i find a build needs to be tweaked, i find i dont have the cash, since solaris pays, on a good match, less than a quarter of what i get in a qp, for about half the time spent in match.

#12 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:51 PM

A one time fee for changeing the internal workings would be fine. Kinda like you buy all other equipment once and then you have it.

#13 GBxGhostRyder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:05 AM

With all the cheese builds in MWO and Solaris now the game has just become unfun for the normal casual or new player overall.

I would be totally surprised if MWO gained and retained 10 new players a year the way the game is run.

#14 Kai Allard Liao

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 109 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:30 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 23 April 2018 - 01:17 AM, said:

[...]
Now when I ask the same people again, telling them that they can do 1v1 and have an easier way to get into the game they still refuse because they still remember their first experiance.

I know those Players. They leave the Game no matter what PGI is offering. They always do.
If someone is really interested in MWO / Online-Battletech, he wouldn't give up that fast.
Yes, this Game forces to use Brain and Effort. Thats why many (youth) quit it fast.

Edited by Kai Allard Liao, 26 April 2018 - 01:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users