Duncan Always Says We Are Equally Matched

6 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Drsaurri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 107 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:29 AM

I literally had 0 wins, 2 losses and one tie while the enemy had 17 wins, 20 losses and 0 ties. I think it is safe to say we didn't have "near identical stats." So I must ask, is it possible for Duncan to say we aren't equally matched?

#2 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:55 AM

The VO is at random I think. So they would need to have some kind of registration of what he should say in what kind of situation fist.

#3 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:47 PM

Sure you do, you've both lost about the same number of games more than you've won, so your Elo is almost identical. What Duncan says is contextual, so presumably if the match maker made a huge mistake and pitted you against someone with a huge rank, he would say something different.

#4 Adamski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

The identical stats is talking about your skill rating, not your W/L

#5 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:41 PM

[redacted]

Edited by Throe, 12 December 2018 - 03:50 PM.

#6 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:46 AM

View PostThroe, on 23 April 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

Wins and losses aren't necessarily perfectly equal. ELO increase/decrease depends on the rank of your opponent when you win or lose. So yes, it's definitely possible for someone with only 2 losses to have roughly the same ELO as an opponent with 17 wins and 20 losses. That said, it's worth mentioning that the matchmaker in this case is only as good as the information it's provided, and if they're not using any information from Solo-Queue Quick Play to seed people's ELO in Solaris, then the person with only 2 losses would have a high margin of error in their current ELO, also referred to "Confidence" in the ELO rating. High margin of error = low confidence.

I do have a giggle when Duncan tells the audience that me and my opponent are evenly matched each and every time. Our Elo (that's a single capital E by the way, for goodness sake) may be roughly equal, but the other guy has 50 wins and 50 losses and I have 10 wins and 5 losses.

#7 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:30 AM

George is going to record more variety to Duncan VOs shortly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users