#41 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 30 April 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

Lmao, pls do share the list when rdy

I seriously don't get all this complaining about legging. It has always been a legit way to drop a mech, and the best way to drop many of them. It's like b*tching about ppl STing my IS XL mechs, or shooting arms off a dakka cat, and dont even get me started on those cheap headshots, so honourless. Yes, your enemies will take the fastest path to taking you down. Thats what good enemies do. If you're consistently getting killed by legging, I have news for you: you lost to a better pilot

Hehe, yes! I got a Headshot via AC/20 against a Hunchback the other day in Div 6. He was as surprised as I was! :D Joy!

#42 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:07 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 30 April 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

Lmao, pls do share the list when rdy

I seriously don't get all this complaining about legging. It has always been a legit way to drop a mech, and the best way to drop many of them. It's like b*tching about ppl STing my IS XL mechs, or shooting arms off a dakka cat, and dont even get me started on those cheap headshots, so honourless. Yes, your enemies will take the fastest path to taking you down. Thats what good enemies do. If you're consistently getting killed by legging, I have news for you: you lost to a better pilot

You know, when an Atlas needs legging to beat a Warhammer there certainly wasn't a better pilot at work.

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 01 May 2018 - 04:58 AM.

#43 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:12 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 01 May 2018 - 03:07 AM, said:

You know, when an Atlas needs legging to beat a Warhammer there certainly wasn't a better pilot at work.

Apparently there was since the warhammer pilot failed to core out one of the slowest twisting mechs in the game and failed to shield his 2nd leg

#44 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 01 May 2018 - 07:12 AM, said:

Apparently there was since the warhammer pilot failed to core out one of the slowest twisting mechs in the game and failed to shield his 2nd leg

I see. The torso of the Warhammer is so damn slim, so where else to shoot.

I wonder why the Atlas did not went for a headshot. Must have been to easy.

#45 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:15 PM

I view easy legging as bad game design. Because it becomes an exploit and pretty soon that's all there is. Realistically if a Battlemech's legs were this flimsy, they would have added more armor because they were all just getting their legs shot off.

MechWarrior 4 fixed this and there was very little legging in multiplayer. Mechwarrior 3 used TT armor values and the result was the mechs had fly-away arms and were easy to leg, but lag made the legs hard to actually hit when playing on the Zone. Still it was seen as a flaw that the mechs got legged so much more easily in interactive gameplay as compared to TT.

Anyway, just playing BATTLETECH right now and I promise you it is very rare that a mech loses one leg and after 25 missions no mech has been destroyed by losing both legs. Go figure.

Posted Image

#46 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

from an engineering point of view, if I made war machines that got legged... I would put a system in to allow the mech to be an immobilized gun platform. Maybe a couple rockets and a gyro... not too hard.

#47 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:10 PM

The more i play the more people are doing nothing but legging.

Game mode will be dead soon. 2v2 was almost dead today. We were only able to get a few matches.

#48 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:22 AM

This is how I decide if going for the legs is called for:
1. When using splat, if my initial damage hits mostly legs due to jumping, higher terrain, bad aim...I follow it up until another opportunity presents.
2. If it is clear the opponent is going for my legs, or will due to their config. For instance, in my Zeus division 4, Bushwackers are likely going for legs.

#49 D34DMetal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts
  • Locationin a Mad Cat duh...

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

I will happily leg all of you in arena combat.

#50 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:48 AM

What is interesting is that no one legs in Division 2 because they are usually a pile of slag before they can get through 2 legs worth of armor. It does happen, but nothing like the Leg-o-thon going on in Division 4. Division 2 is filled with the top rank DPS assault mechs and running up to them with your average Legger SRM build is a fatal error. Of course Division 2 has the worst mech balancing of all the divisions I have tried. Whatever you take has to kill KDK-3 with 4x ballistics in brawling range. Most of the mechs there just can't do that and should be dropped to Division 3.

My thinking about legging is that no one will play in the divisions where it is the common tactic because it is a borderline game exploit. It reveals an error in game design that breaks the illusion of realism that simulations must maintain. Science Fiction, which MechWarrior absolutely is, requires the suspension of disbelief to work. Well, for most of us. Not saying it should be impossible to leg a mech, but there is something wrong if that is all anyone is doing.

#51 D34DMetal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts
  • Locationin a Mad Cat duh...

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:35 PM

It's part of the game (mechanically and in the battletech lore) and you honestly just need to accept it or move on.

#52 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

View PostDeadMetal89, on 08 May 2018 - 08:35 PM, said:

It's part of the game (mechanically and in the battletech lore) and you honestly just need to accept it or move on.

lol people said the same thing about fp :P

#53 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:32 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 05 May 2018 - 04:15 PM, said:

Anyway, just playing BATTLETECH right now and I promise you it is very rare that a mech loses one leg and after 25 missions no mech has been destroyed by losing both legs. Go figure.

Posted Image

Seriously? I leg them all the time. Makeing them fall so the ini gets pushed back, pilot gets hurt and allows me targeted shots. There is so much you gain in Battletech that its pretty demanded to do. Also it increases your loot chance at the end of the match, what gives you either a new mech to play or some extra income when you sell them.
I mean you know that CT =1 part, two legs = 2 parts, headshot/pilot killed = 3 parts salvage after the mission.

PS: Just because the AI dosn't do it to you dosn't mean that its not a valid tactic, just that the programmers where nice to you not to give the AI the best possible tactic to use.
Else they would only jump around with LRM/PPCs shooting your legs, because LRMs are ******* effective in BT and jumping dosn't give its damn disadvantage. Seriously, jumpsniping has never been easier.

Edited by Nesutizale, 09 May 2018 - 12:35 AM.

#54 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 07 May 2018 - 05:48 AM, said:

...because it is a borderline game exploit....

Posted Image

#55 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

View PostLovas, on 09 May 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

Posted Image

Webster's dictionary defines exploit as:

**** I don't like.

So your cheeky response is also an exploit. I have reported you to the appropriate authorities.

#56 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

@Nesutizale,

I have gotten the whole mech on a CT kill in Battletech. A Zeus and a Thunderbolt to be precise. Salvage is a bit random. LRMs lower your chances of gaining salvage because they do so much damage, knock mechs down, are the best weapon at long range. Drawback is bad chance of salvage, but there is a random chance element.

Exploit? Just means taking advantage of a game flaw for rapid personal advancement. I left Division 4 because I was only getting legged from the get go. Division 2 the leggers don't advance to higher levels so it's pretty rare and usually fails. What division would you prefer knowing this?

#57 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 09 May 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

Exploit? Just means taking advantage of a game flaw for rapid personal advancement.

It isn't a game flaw.

Things you do not like are not exploits.

#58 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 09 May 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

Exploit? Just means taking advantage of a game flaw for rapid personal advancement. I left Division 4 because I was only getting legged from the get go. Division 2 the leggers don't advance to higher levels so it's pretty rare and usually fails. What division would you prefer knowing this?

Since legging is harder than coring through the CT (or the cockpit), ignoring your ability to aim, then how is this a flaw? How is taking a longer time to kill someone an exploit?

#59 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:31 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 09 May 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

Since legging is harder than coring through the CT (or the cockpit), ignoring your ability to aim, then how is this a flaw? How is taking a longer time to kill someone an exploit?

Some mechs are easy to leg, isn't that a design flaw? If a mech has enough fire-power, like 4x LB-10X you can't leg it in time. This might suggest a balance point, maybe not.

But hey, if all Solaris 7 is is a legging contest it's not going to be very successful. I like many Division 4 mechs, but they seem too unrealistic if all anyone does is leg them, so I rarely play there.

#60 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 01 May 2018 - 03:07 AM, said:

Yes that's how I'd do it too. Warhammer is faster than Atlas, so legs at any oppoturnity. I don't remember seeing many Atlases on the divs I've played, but any time I fight with medium or small againts heavy or assult, I have to slowly poke and then run away. Warhammer can take a lot more beating to torso than my Jenner IIC, but going for legs is still best thing againts torso twisting and running away.

Many brawler assults are fairly fast on Solaris too, it's mainly div 1 assults are heavy, slow and packing a lot of heavy weapons.

Here my enemy, Bushwacker, had made a 250 damage againts me. My legs could have taken about 50-100 max. And as you can see it was a draw, particularly after losing my other large pulse I couldn't effectively hurt him much.
Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users