Spider Vs Centurion

3 replies to this topic

#1 Makoto of Glie

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

More specifically: Spider versus Yen Lo Wang, Division 7.

I'm stumped. How am I, as a light pilot, supposed to kill one of these? They seem to outclass my mech in every single way. High damage, 60% more armor, decent speed, and no need to sacrifice any of it for more ammo.

The good ones are running one of two builds: AC20 / Snub or AC20 / 2 Med Pulse. 30 or 32 pinpoint damage alpha, respectively. That's double my alpha, and I need to run an XL, so trying to brawl them is practically suicide. I can't really hit and run either, since they're pretty fast (the med pulse build uses a light 295, 95KPH). If they have Speed Tweak, I'm practically running for my life. And of course, with the small arena sizes, this means kiting them is also nearly impossible.

This is not a complaint thread. I'm looking for actual honest advice. What weaknesses do Yen Lo Wangs have? Aside from machine gun crits (no ballistics on my spider), I really don't see any.

---

Strategies tried so far:

1. Blow off the gun arm. This doesn't work. One of three things happens: A) They're nearly out of ammo by the time I manage to do it, B-) I'm nearly dead, C) Both.
2. XL check. Doesn't work on any good builds. Light engine.
3. Center torso. This rarely works if they know how to twist. Good shield arm, armor and use of cover means I die first, usually.
4. Legs. Haven't tried this much, but I can't see it working. They can still one-shot me from my optimum range. Legs also have (much) more armor than CT.
5. Headshot. ??? hao 2 use guss on spidah

Edited by Makoto of Glie, 23 April 2018 - 01:35 PM.

#2 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

Your number 4 is actually the best option you have to be honest. Also depends on what variant of Spider you are using-but the general idea right now for lights in the lower tiers (7-5) to hit the legs and then kite as much as we can, if we can't kill them by time out-at least it was a tie. Denying these players whom have extremely short range weapons their mobility is the way to go, and really the only way to go unless you can surprise them from behind-which is extremely...and I MEAN EXTREMELY hard to do, and get to their back in the hopes you can backplate them before they turn around.

Its not perfect, but its the best option we got. Being a Raven pilot in Div6 has made me painfully aware that its really my only option versus AC20 + SRM6 (usually 2 to 3) Cents, whom core me usually with one salvo if I don't camp cover or abuse every single thing I can. Small Arena size also hurts us a lot too in general.

Edit: Forgot, if you also want to continue to drill through CT for Cents that are aim-shielding, you can aim for the side of their head and it still counts as CT. It can work if you have the time or firepower to do it.

Edited by AaronWolf, 23 April 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#3 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:14 PM

I really love to see a cent while I'm riding my spider.

Using your speed you can stay at 350m range from the cent, and hit leg.

When it is limping, victory is yours.

#4 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:31 PM

This build won't work that well against some of the stuff you'll see in that Division, but if I knew for certain I had to beat a Centurion, this is the build I'd use to do it. I'd aim to get Steiner Colosseum, Mech Factory, or the Jungle map, in that order of preference.

1) Use Stealth to pop out and hit with the Large Lasers. Maybe get two solid hits in, using cover between hits before doing the following:
2) Retreat back to cover, turn off Stealth armor, cool off, re-enable Stealth armor, return to Step 1.

You keep one Large Laser in your torso in case your opponent gets a lucky shot on your right arm. There's no way to run this build with a Light Engine, but it doesn't really matter anyway. Your goal here is simply to not be hit at all. The torso mounted laser is just insurance against a lucky shot.

Prioritize legs, since they're the only components you're able to hit without worrying about which way your opponent is facing(in case you end up on their side; no reason to blast their arm).

SDR-5D 2xLL, 1xJJ, ECM, XL225

Edited by Throe, 24 April 2018 - 01:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users