Battletech Game - Available For Download 4/24

297 replies to this topic

#1 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:35 AM

It is available for sale and download on GOG.com and shows today as the release date.

#2 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:48 AM

Here is a Release Trailer for it too...

#3 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

That video just reinforced my apprehension with regard to the game's turn-based approach. Posted Image

#4 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

How so Mystere?

#5 kailii

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:01 AM

Released on Steam 2 hours ago.
Mixed reactions so far over there - game seems to crash a lot.

EDIT:
Hehe, some selected negative comments on steam...

"Play first mission. Everything is going okay. Graphics are poop, AI is dumb, and load times are bad but that's what we've come to expect these days when it comes to tactical games. Anyways, I'm finishing up the first mission and heading towards an objective. Then, suddenly, a boss spawn! Cool, big mech I get to fight. Oh... it's his turn immediately when he spawns? Oh he fired across the map and hit my guy with everything? Oh, he kiled my guy in one hit? Oh, game over? Cool..."

"Youre not allowed to chose blond hair! [Redacted]
Thumbs up, if this is changed!"

"In the character creation process, you have the option to "select your pronoun" (He, She, or They). That should tell you all you need to know about how the game is going to unfold."

"Soo many things wrong with this game where do i start:
1) Login mandatory to play
2) Graphics are absolutely horrindous (I ran it on high with the highest resolution 1980x1200 and I have a 1080 TI)
The graphics can be related to a game from 2006-2008 at best
3) Turn-Based game??? Really how would you mess up the legacy here this absolutely Destroys playability!
Playability is absolutely atrocious
4) Loading times are unbarable at best
I have pretty much nthe fastest compuuter money can buy and the load times and cut scenes (having to press esc and then wait another 5-10 seconds) makes this one of the worst games."

Think i'll play some MWO today... Posted Image

Edited by draiocht, 01 May 2018 - 03:44 AM.
unconstructive, replies removed

#6 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:08 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 24 April 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

How so Mystere?

The video of that Atlas just standing there doing nothing while taking hits from missiles was just too painful to watch.

I still say they should have gone the MechCommander path. But that's their decision, I guess.

Edited by Mystere, 24 April 2018 - 10:08 AM.

#7 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

I agree with that! When I heard about it. I was hoping it was more like MechCommander. I wasn't as disappointed by it being turned based. As it being limited to 4 mechs.

#8 Iron Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMy private booth in the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

View Postkailii, on 24 April 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

Released on Steam 2 hours ago.
Mixed reactions so far over there - game seems to crash a lot.

EDIT:
Hehe, some selected negative comments on steam...

"Play first mission. Everything is going okay. Graphics are poop, AI is dumb, and load times are bad but that's what we've come to expect these days when it comes to tactical games. Anyways, I'm finishing up the first mission and heading towards an objective. Then, suddenly, a boss spawn! Cool, big mech I get to fight. Oh... it's his turn immediately when he spawns? Oh he fired across the map and hit my guy with everything? Oh, he kiled my guy in one hit? Oh, game over? Cool..."

"Youre not allowed to chose blond hair! [Redacted]
Thumbs up, if this is changed!"

"In the character creation process, you have the option to "select your pronoun" (He, She, or They). That should tell you all you need to know about how the game is going to unfold."

"Soo many things wrong with this game where do i start:
1) Login mandatory to play
2) Graphics are absolutely horrindous (I ran it on high with the highest resolution 1980x1200 and I have a 1080 TI)
The graphics can be related to a game from 2006-2008 at best
3) Turn-Based game??? Really how would you mess up the legacy here this absolutely Destroys playability!
Playability is absolutely atrocious
4) Loading times are unbarable at best
I have pretty much nthe fastest compuuter money can buy and the load times and cut scenes (having to press esc and then wait another 5-10 seconds) makes this one of the worst games."

Think i'll play some MWO today... Posted Image

Load times!?
Really?
I TAKE YOUR STINKING LOAD TIMES!!
These people obviously have never played MWO!
Being as STEAM is a salt mine of the highest order, Ill take those reviews with a grain of..
umm
well..
salt
I guess. ;)

Edited by draiocht, 01 May 2018 - 12:40 AM.
Quote Clean-Up

#9 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

Turn-based game messes up legacy?!? What? <facepalm>

Battletech, a video game based on the tabletop game Battletech. I've been watching a few streams and the game looks great. It's exactly the type of game it should be to hold the Battletech name. They didn't name it "Mech Commander 3" and make it turn-based, afterall.

#10 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

Steam reviews can get pretty pretentious sometimes. That's why you really have to dig through reviews to find people with well thought out reviews. I kinda wish they would change it to a 5 star review system. I see a lot of times people give a game a negative review despite still enjoying it, it just has a few issues that are hard to overlook.

#11 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:51 AM

Good. now I dont have to play mwo.

#12 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:35 PM

It's getting mixed reviews on Steam. Any idea what's going on? I was going to buy it immediately if it reviewed well.

#13 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

View Postfat4eyes, on 24 April 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

It's getting mixed reviews on Steam. Any idea what's going on? I was going to buy it immediately if it reviewed well.

something about bugs and unoptimized, as well as complaints about combat taking way too long
edit: click on negative reviews
http://store.steampo...090/BATTLETECH/

Edited by Variant1, 24 April 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#14 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

View Postfat4eyes, on 24 April 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

Honestly, If I were any of you just wait and give it a few weeks. Most modern games (like Kingdom Come Deliverance) have very unstable releases when first launched because it's virtually impossible for devs to iron out any bugs that people are experiencing with real world game play experiences. Although in some instances some bugs/glitches could be avoided at launch, most people seem to forget when you are under a deadline in a company you are put under alot of pressure and mistakes are bound to happen.

Just try making a simple DooM wad for the classic DooM engine from scratch. It's not easy, and I can't even imagine what is involved with modern day video games. The real question is if they can nail what they have promised AFTER the game releases (new content, patches with bug fixes, etc.). If they fail to do that then I think the criticisms would be valid. Unfortunately most gamers tend to judge at first glance (and I can see that being a big problem when most people never heard of Battletech before), which is a problem I blame with Steam's over all store format.

#15 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

View PostVariant1, on 24 April 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

something about bugs and unoptimized, as well as complaints about combat taking way too long
edit: click on negative reviews
http://store.steampo...090/BATTLETECH/

Forgot about that feature. I guess I'm waiting for the first patch then. The technical issues will probably be fixed, but the issues on game flow (too many pauses, slow animations) could be a pain. I remember XCom before the anti-timewasting mod.

View PostArnold The Governator, on 24 April 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

Honestly, If I were any of you just wait and give it a few weeks. Most modern games (like Kingdom Come Deliverance) have very unstable releases when first launched because it's virtually impossible for devs to iron out any bugs that people are experiencing with real world game play experiences. Although in some instances some bugs/glitches could be avoided at launch, most people seem to forget when you are under a deadline in a company you are put under alot of pressure and mistakes are bound to happen.

Just try making a simple DooM wad for the classic DooM engine from scratch. It's not easy, and I can't even imagine what is involved with modern day video games. The real question is if they can nail what they have promised AFTER the game releases (new content, patches with bug fixes, etc.). If they fail to do that then I think the criticisms would be valid. Unfortunately most gamers tend to judge at first glance (and I can see that being a big problem when most people never heard of Battletech before), which is a problem I blame with Steam's over all store format.

This is exactly why I held off preordering. It being in Unity didn't help. I had performance issues in other games (Kerbal, Wasteland 2, Satellite Reign) that had awesome gameplay otherwise. Here's to hoping they fix it.

#16 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

its worth buying, just not for $40

id wait till it goes on sale

I only paid $20 for it from the kickstarter, and I feel good about it at that price

#17 DeadEye COTP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

The game may be incredibly buggy and have poor performance even on a modern gaming PC like mine...but you can select "they" as your pronoun so all is forgiven.

All hail the great SJW gods of HBS.

(I've also been watching them ban anyone who brings it up, which is pretty funny)

Edited by DeadEye COTP, 24 April 2018 - 01:11 PM.

#18 Iron Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMy private booth in the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:35 PM

I don't pre-order any more, but, i was going to purchase this game..

View PostDeadEye COTP, on 24 April 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

The game may be incredibly buggy and have poor performance even on a modern gaming PC like mine...but you can select &quot;they&quot; as your pronoun so all is forgiven.

All hail the great SJW gods of HBS.

(I've also been watching them ban anyone who brings it up, which is pretty funny)

Do they really think catering to the SJW sect is going to sell more games? *sigh*

#19 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

By the same token. I find it silly that people care so much about the inclusion of 'they'.

#20 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:50 PM

View Postyrrot, on 24 April 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

Turn-based game messes up legacy?!? What? <facepalm>

Battletech, a video game based on the tabletop game Battletech. I've been watching a few streams and the game looks great. It's exactly the type of game it should be to hold the Battletech name. They didn't name it "Mech Commander 3" and make it turn-based, afterall.

Yeah I don't get it either. The entire game is based on a TURN BASED table top game played with miniatures similar to Warhammer 40k. What this new version of the game represents is a return to that legacy, basically classic battletech translated from the table top to the computer screen.

My only disappointment is that they stopped at lance based combat. I was really hoping the game would scale to maybe battalion sized elements. Yeah that would be one long game but anyone who has actually played a real war game even on the computer knows that you could be playing a single battle for days and days moving around entire corps and divisions of troops one regiment at a time. That is the scale I want to see come out of the new Battletech game eventually.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users