Reducing The Map Size Over Time

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Add a map reducing mechanic ? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Add a map reducing mechanic ?

1. YES (4 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

2. NO (19 votes [82.61%])

Percentage of vote: 82.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:43 AM

So on the one side I have enemy assaults who literally refuse to move their *** from the entry gate and act like a fixed turret.

And on the other side I have enemy lights who spend their time running all over the place and refuse to fight...

And the solution to both those problems and more, as in any successful MMO Battle Royale game I'm aware of, would be to : Reduce the map size over time.

This could be done by having a heat wave (or laser grid) come from the borders that progressively forces the mechs to move towards the center of the map.

Another solution would be to have some kind of objective in the center of the map (the closer you are, the better), and in case of a tie the Mech that occupied that objective the longest (or closest) wins.

But basically any working solution to get the mechs fighting, would do.

Also maybe NOT showing the enemy mech(s) at the beginning of each fight might help (or not).

Edited by Humble Dexter, 25 April 2018 - 01:02 AM.

#2 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:32 AM

Nope.

There are other fight stiles other then brawling you know, stiles that need space to work.

#3 GX9900 Gundam X

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:37 AM

go back to PUBG

#4 Taxxian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:50 AM

Right now the Rules make players decide between "suicide" and "wait 10 minutes" in many cases... instead of insulting the OP we should rather try to find a working solution...

#5 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:31 AM

No for me, but I like that people want to have a conversation about improving things.

Someone once suggested something akin to a scoring system built upon "audience satisfaction". I wonder if it would be possible to setup a series of conditions that would reward involvement/engagement. Much like in QP with the various bonuses for "Hit and Run" etc. I know S7 already has some. Maybe they need to be weighted more heavily.

You still lose if your mech is destroyed, and it's critical imo to avoid forcing a specific type of play. S7 is great. I love the options open to me and wouldn't want to be told how to play by a mechanic which restricts me or my agility etc (a medium has to play smart and sneaky to win against heavier Mechs sometimes and that's a valid skill itself).

But, if there were more value to say "Time locked on target", "time spent in visual with target" (including a bonus if only you have visual, sneaky!), then you'd be encouraging (rather than forcing) more engagement, while still allowing for alternatives.

Those are just a few basic bonuses, you could easily create tonnes.

#6 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:42 AM

Someone once suggested something akin to a scoring system built upon "audience satisfaction".

Might have been me. I suggested a system where when you stay just at the starting point and don't move, you get a minus income. When you move you get rewards depending on how close to the center of the map you go.
I have to agree that I didn't take into account that this would only reward brawling as a playstyle. So lets just remove the "closer to the center part".
When you move from the starting position into the arena you get payed. For all the "I need to cover my behind" people...there is planty of cover in all arenas that is not at the starting point and reachable with even a slow mech before the light comes around.
I think that would be fair to both parties of the spectrum as assaults would move and the cover in the map mostly opens two ways a light can approach, so good piloting becomes importend for both.
It would be a bit of "wack a mole" but thats still better then the shooting fish in a barrel we have now.

Edited by Nesutizale, 25 April 2018 - 04:43 AM.

#7 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

Most of these maps are already too small, and you want to shrink them? No thanks.

#8 Codeine Radick

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 84 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty (Alberta)

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

This is Mechwarrior. Not Fortnite.

#9 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

View PostvonJerg, on 25 April 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

Nope.

There are other fight stiles other then brawling you know, stiles that need space to work.

What space do you get when that assault is stuck in turret mode on the border of the map the whole game ? What are you going to do with all that working space if the light is using it to hide without getting near you the whole game ?

The map reduction could even start in the last ~2 minutes, but the idea is end up with a fight instead of a tie.

Other solution : Remove the walls from around the maps and give a 10s timer to players exiting the map, the same way it works for QP/FP. That would take care of turret assault mechs, but not help out with light runners who won't come fight.

This is not Mechwarrior it's Solaris, it's a Battle Royale game mode, and currently there's no incentive to go fight, while there is incentive to not go fight.

#10 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:34 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 25 April 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

What space do you get when that assault is stuck in turret mode on the border of the map the whole game ? What are you going to do with all that working space if the light is using it to hide without getting near you the whole game ?

If these were or become legitimate concerns, the answer is: Don't bring Lights or Assaults to Solaris matches.

#11 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:32 PM

There's no incentive to fight?? You can't win if you don't fight. So therefore that must mean you don't want to win. No, that just doesn't make sense.

So far I've seen only one player with rather odd amount of ties. Everyone else has like 1 to 3 if they have played more, with maning having none. Sure I've played mostly div 1 and 2, where it's a lot of assults vs assults not having any way to drag into a tie anyway. So is that really even a problem?

Once I saw one 6xAC2 Annihilator being really patient while I waited in corner behind a huge tree for him to come. I had no desire to go into open space to walk towards him and allow him to damage in advance while I'm just closing in, that would have been quaranteed loss for me. He eventually came and I got my first win againts mech like that, a very narrow win. The longest defeat I had was my Jenner IIC vs Zeus, he killed me with 4 seconds left. His CT was open too.

#12 AccessTime

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:05 PM

My idea would be to have a set of elevating triggers like neither mech takes damage for a minute / two minutes / three minutes, etc. after which the announcer starts to poke fun at the situation and eventually try to insult the players into at least showing some aggression toward each other.

"Maybe it's time to throw in the neurohelmet and take some ballet lessons!"
"Wait, you say this is the Industrial Mech Golfing Tournament? Damn, I had a feeling I showed up at the wrong stadium!"
etc.

I also like the idea of somehow incorporating audience appreciation, maybe as an "aggression bonus" that grants extra rewards like C-bills when taking the initiative, and penalties for mechs that stand around or stall.

Edited by AccessTime, 25 April 2018 - 07:06 PM.

#13 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:43 PM

How about the option to forfit the game so you don't have sit through the entire match?

#14 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:12 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 25 April 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

How about the option to forfit the game so you don't have sit through the entire match?

What mech can't overheat and die, or walk backwards to the enemy and power down and let him core you out from behind?

#15 Alexandros

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 153 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:08 AM

View PostCodeine Radick, on 25 April 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

This is Mechwarrior. Not Fortnite.

This is MechWarrior smart boi , but that's not actual Solaris.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users