Remove Quirks Solaris

8 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew W Wiggins

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:47 AM

Header says it all. Remove all the quirks from mechs when you drop in Solaris.

#2 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:22 AM

Nope. I quite like that quirks have given some underperformers some new niches. I like that when I meet an Orion now I know it's a tough *******, instead of just another heavy mech.

#3 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

View PostAndrew W Wiggins, on 25 April 2018 - 03:47 AM, said:

Header says it all. Remove all the quirks from mechs when you drop in Solaris.

You're talking about regrouping nearly every 'Mech into new Divisions, because the quirks on some variants are the only thing allowing them to compete where they are.

I mean, I don't have a huge problem with doing that, but I think the developers are going to balk at such a massive administrative overhead for minimal advantage. By minimal advantage, I mean there will still be 'Mechs in each division which are better than others. They could just create a Division for each Variant, but then you'd have trouble finding a match, although you could be assured to have an even fight.

What's the real problem? Are you frustrated with a certain variant? Are you losing a lot and you're not sure why?

#4 Natolie

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:43 AM

I do agree with this idea... Quirks are the reason why people only play the annihilator in Div1 as an exemple, or the heaviest mech with best quirks in other divs.

for exemple I play in div2 with my articwolf prime (4 Srm6 artemis) which I enjoy a lot, when I encounter a Kodiak 3, there is a 40 to 80% chance of beating the guy, but it's never a piece of cake, unless he doesn't have back up weap, the fight last but I don't use all my ammo... but when I encounter an Annih 1E or Atlas's and other crazy buffed quirks mechs, it's just become very very intense to beat them down... I use all my ammo (around 660), almost take the full 10 mins and I have like 0 chance to make a mistake or else I lose a side, leg, arms, ct... if you take away the quirks then its even the odds, lights meds heavies and Assaults have there chances, they will still be better mechs than others but at least you won't see "only Assaults" in Div 1 2 3" and same for other divs with heavies and overpowered meds... in div 6 7.
If I'm not mistaken the quirks were made for Quick play and maybe FP, they can compensate the odds in a 12vs12 man but in a 1vs1 or 2vs2... they are just too strong...

I'm not saying it will solves it all but it could be a good start.

Edited by Natolie, 26 April 2018 - 05:45 AM.

#5 Taxxian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:00 AM

I dont really understand the reasoning behind this:

Ok Quirks make Anni OP I get it, but if we remove Quirks Dire Wolf will be exactly as OP in Div 1 as Anni is now... in what way does this make the game better.

Right now Solaris is dominated by IS Mechs which is as expected, but if we simply remove Quirks it will be dominated by Clan Mechs at least as much...

I see that this would make different people happy, but I cant see it would make more people happy

Edited by Taxxian, 26 April 2018 - 06:00 AM.

#6 Natolie

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:04 AM

Not really as you said, if you take the quirks away then the direwolf become as OP as the anni (same armor, same speed, almost the hardpoints depending on the variants and/or omnipods, still the annih is more agile than the Dire, both can be shoot at without being able to retaliate) so now we have two mechs to choose from... actually I think it will favor the use of a lot of other mechs that are just not being played, and that would works for other div too...

more mech playable = more ppl happy!

Edited by Natolie, 26 April 2018 - 06:08 AM.

#7 Taxxian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:22 AM

Now you make me dig out all the old arguments:

- clan has lighter weapons
- clan has (much) better xl engine
- clan has better endo
- clan has better ferro

So claiming that removing Quirks in Solaris makes them equal makes no sense.
The DW has a fixed Engine and no Endo so it will maybe not as OP but the Kodiak will fill that spot with ease.

As I have demonstrated in another thread Structure/Armor Quirks are much more powerful in 1 vs 1 than in larger battles, but removing all Quirks is also not balance.

Reduced Quirks would be the way to go, but that makes it soo much more complicated to balance...

#8 Natolie

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:29 AM

You are right, even though the IS are more Agile overall than CLAN mech which is a great advantage also, maybe lower the quirks then, for Solaris, like a -50% on all quirks or something like that, to make it even...

Edited by Natolie, 26 April 2018 - 06:31 AM.

#9 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:45 AM

Yes blanket buff for all mechs without quirks, very solid idea, I see lots of people getting behind such.an idea. /sarcasm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users