55 replies to this topic

#21 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

View Posttker 669, on 01 May 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

Have to say since I saw you pugging in some of those drops, that you took the pounding in stride although obviously frustrating.

Also as far as seeing folks aiming, I wonder the percentage of those terribads are actually due to improper mouse settings. Especially when you see someone try to track a light with lasers, a lot of the times it looks as it is a settings issue making people less competitive than they could be.

i get potatoes sometimes but its not enough to ruin fp for me. its still the best mode in the game. i try my best to do well and hopefully it rubs off on the taters.

#22 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

View PostAsym, on 01 May 2018 - 05:55 AM, said:

And, the elephant in the room is that LRM/ATM/SSRMs are all valid weapons in the game... Like flamers (oh for heavens sake)... Yes, marksmanship is an issue and sometimes, there just isn't a way to compensate... This is simple, do we want, as an example, 1000 players of which say, 200 can't shoot straight and not allow them to play? That's about 2K in lost revenue a year to PGI (or a lot more)....

Want a new map? Those 200 are or could be the financing. If we, as a community, go out of our way to keep driving people out, eventually, only the die-hards are left and the game reputation ends up a D+ in national reviews of the game...

I understand that pilots who "aren't meta or OP" drive you crazy sometimes, but, in many cases we play because we like this game but can't be that "killer elite" you all aspire to be. I'm handicapped. Others are young or have never actually shot weapons ever and yet, they are in-game because they like this genre.... We want to keep them; each and everyone of them.....numbers count and if you don't think so, look at the state of MM and FP.......small populations skew the game in many ways. It is really kinda funny that what I do for a hobby and what I did in real life would infer that I'd not ever need missiles and yet, I really like the in-direct fire role and would love to see that role expand in gameplay. IDF makes direct fire "better" by separating "those who can actually get into direct fire range" from those want-a-be's "who can't"... Those players are the best pilots because they were smart enough to live long enough to fight face-to-face.... Those few are whom I'd join a team for.

Just some thoughts from an old horse soldier.....

You are not paying attention.

Valid, sure as in the mech lab lets you launch.

Do they have uses? Sure, not bad on Polar, Sulphurous, etc...

It is absolutely not valid to bring lrms to every map/mode. [redacted], and these same people who are being absolutely roflstomped are then spiting out hate against units/groups, hacustions and on and on.

Again this is not a conversation about meta. You always want to drag it there, but no sick of that boogieman.

People need to bring builds appropriate to maps/mode it is that simple.

People need to learn to never bring lrms to attack siege maps.

[redacted]

#23 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:05 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 01 May 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

It's still a good thing that an underpowered weapon system was buffed though. It's not surprising a lot of people and teams are testing them out for a while.

Now obviously LRMs are still very underpowered and things will normalize to the previous levels when that sinks in.

I hope they buff them a bit more personally, it would be nice if they were legitimately good on at least some maps.

Don't get me wrong here.

If you were to search through general discussion and the lurm thread you would find that I repeatedly brought up over and over that the place to start buffing lurms is velocity. So am happy about the speed increase especially since it was what I have been advocating. As far as further improvements, I wouldn't mind if they targeted torso's more and legs less as they did with streaks and they probably could use spread reduction. Hey in fact on Thursday after we happened to catch Polar and I gleefully put out a solid 1200 with 3 kills in my lrm 5 Trollapult A1.

But what I am going on about is people who bring them every single time to CW. They are situational. Just as I don't bring a Battlemaster 1G to attack Emerald, we have these decks and time to choose mechs for a reason.

Am at a loss how we have a significant amount of the population in CW who don't understand the very basic idea of bringing the right mech to the right map or how it is even possible to not understand not to bring them every single time.

Either way I am getting more and more screen shots of homophobia, hacusations, and about every other thing someone can type out in chat in rage not because I am particularly good...but simply because I choose to run what makes sense for the conditions?

#24 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:22 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 01 May 2018 - 07:43 AM, said:

I hope you don't meant me. Listen here, i asked my premade if i can run lrm, they said yes but not a full deck. I was completely shitfaced so any directfire requiring aim was out of option and lrm was pretty much the only thing i could semi effectively operate. It was a lot of fun tho.

I dunno who it was but the games were not even remotely interesting... Too easy to win when big groups just LRM while standing still

#25 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:47 PM

No, you are so wrong: what hurt this game are toxic personalities and behaviors... The game itself, although flawed, can't be toxic or harsh. Only people do that..... You do realize that?

This is a F2P game and you just have to get used to the fact that pilots of varied skills will play it. I could be a lot better I guess, if I really tried to; or, wasn't handicapped; or, had the time to; or, found some reason to and that would be really hard, since most of everyone I knew left the game because of the toxic attitudes and behaviors......and, that is a fact, not fiction; since, I have to find them in other games and the one place they aren't is here....

I wish you well and will leave it at that... Good hunting.

#26 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:08 AM

Oh please, toxic players don't ruin anything, and they certainly haven't ruined MWO. Look at League of Legends; that game is notorious for its extremely toxic playerbase yet it has been nothing short of a smashing success.

The genuine biggest problem with MWO is the infestation of bad and idiotic players. So many players are completely terrible at the game, yet persist in playing while outright refusing to take any steps to improve.
In a team based game like this, that is incredibly selfish behaviour that has a negative effect on everyone else, and it is the reason why I just uninstalled MWO; I'm sick and tired of dealing with it, so I'll go play games where it isn't a problem.

#27 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:59 AM

View Posttker 669, on 01 May 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

We literally massacred the enemy match after match with them barely scoring any kills. I am imploring people to stop running lurms everywhere as it ends up with experienced players absolutely destroying the enemy team.

It is getting tiresome to face an 'enemy' where the score is 36-7 within minutes because of all the lerms and the 'strategy' they use.

#28 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:38 AM

View PostZergling, on 02 May 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

The genuine biggest problem with MWO is the infestation of bad and idiotic players. So many players are completely terrible at the game, yet persist in playing while outright refusing to take any steps to improve.
In a team based game like this, that is incredibly selfish behaviour that has a negative effect on everyone else, and it is the reason why I just uninstalled MWO; I'm sick and tired of dealing with it, so I'll go play games where it isn't a problem.

Some people say they play for 'fun' and take dumb builds into FP, e.g. CQC Atlas on Polar. FP is a much more serious game mode compared to YoloQ and it is inevitable that the more serious people(me) get mad over people who bring builds that are a detriment to the team. But oh well we need the numbers in FP, can't go around flaming people for what they bring even though they probably know better and yet decide to play Lurmwarrior Online, already got myself banned once for flaming them idiots. Best to play FP in premades with decent pilots so you don't have to deal with stupidity within the team.

#29 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:48 AM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 02 May 2018 - 04:38 AM, said:

Best to play FP in premades with decent pilots so you don't have to deal with stupidity within the team.

In other words, play the mode as primarily designed.

#30 Xannatharr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:53 AM

View PostZergling, on 02 May 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

Oh please, toxic players don't ruin anything, and they certainly haven't ruined MWO. Look at League of Legends; that game is notorious for its extremely toxic playerbase yet it has been nothing short of a smashing success.

Wouldn't it be better to just start dropping with a regular group of people that don't drive you crazy?

Regards,

Xann

#31 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

View PostXannatharr, on 02 May 2018 - 05:53 AM, said:

Wouldn't it be better to just start dropping with a regular group of people that don't drive you crazy?

Regards,

Xann

Such suggestions are borderline witchcraft.

Not to mention finding like minded players and making an overture of friendship is hard.

"Don't talk to strangers" was not meant to last into adulthood.

#32 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 02 May 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

Such suggestions are borderline witchcraft.

Not to mention finding like minded players and making an overture of friendship is hard.

"Don't talk to strangers" was not meant to last into adulthood.

I don't know about witchcraft, but you are spot-on about finding "like minded players" in a game that when you visit a TS/DC site and that team looks up your stats and you just aren't welcome.....even if you wanted to learn...take the hint potato. Competition is one thing and it's not a bad concept in and of itself, but, when winning becomes "something else" and those like minded players start down the "win at all costs" road, what started out as a neat idea becomes something a bit dark..... I've seen this happen several times in the past year +...

Especially, if there are so many less teams that actually want "to have fun" first and, as they go along, improve as a group; it's not a wonder that new players don't want to talk to strangers...

Sometimes I wonder what "improve means"? Who decides what improve means? And, realistically, does it matter to anyone other than you?! I have in the past dropped with super efficient mech layouts and as a retired soldier, played within the tactics and doctrine of that team, followed tactical commands and still, wasn't sure what was the intent of their ongoing comments, tirades and negativity were intended to mean or affect? Some were just nasty, want-to-be's that blamed everyone else. Some were obsessed neophytes stuck in the "I am great loop" and in battle, actually hid, blamed others and fought from the rear... Some used the hated LRM's in the game and despised them in the forums because they wanted the niche to themselves.... Yes, seen all sorts of weird behavior....

We may never agree on a single thread, but you have the line above clearly identified and it is a root cause that is limiting individual growth I think....

#33 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 30 April 2018 - 03:40 AM, said:

Funny you say that potatoes are going to potato with LERMS.

Funny in that those very potatoes LERMing now are some of the most vocal anti-LERM pilots and some very, very, well known pilot names now boating a deck of them.

Funny that they cry rivers of salty tears when we refuse to sit in the open so they can sit at edges of the map and rain lerms.

Funny they commit suicide when they run out of LERM ammo.

Funny that they walk backwards in a straight line right out of bounds.

Funny they thing LERMing from the DZ for three waves is somehow smart.

Funny lemmings they are.

So mock them.

I would.

If someone who knows better decides to go full tuber of the nightshade family they get what they deserve.

#34 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:31 AM

View PostAsym, on 01 May 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

No, you are so wrong: what hurt this game are toxic personalities and behaviors... The game itself, although flawed, can't be toxic or harsh. Only people do that..... You do realize that?

This is a F2P game and you just have to get used to the fact that pilots of varied skills will play it. I could be a lot better I guess, if I really tried to; or, wasn't handicapped; or, had the time to; or, found some reason to and that would be really hard, since most of everyone I knew left the game because of the toxic attitudes and behaviors......and, that is a fact, not fiction; since, I have to find them in other games and the one place they aren't is here....

I wish you well and will leave it at that... Good hunting.

You are not addressing that the toxicity right now is by far and away coming from pugs.

You seem to be skipping what solo pugs screamed for which gave us the one bucket and quick play maps we have now. That change is fully on the pugs and those are the people being referred to.

As far as accepting various skill levels, that is a given. It is not what is being discussed. Choices, especially poor ones than people acting out because of them is what is being discussed.

You are also taking your anecdotal experience and stating that it is fact. BS.

The population tanked after the one bucket change and that has zero to do with toxic behaviour other than the persistent and constant whining from the yoloists....

#35 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

The other day in a QP match my team had a guy in a Franken Dire Wolf build with LRMs and UAC5s and a strange mix of lasers. He was almost 3 grids back blasting building with LRMs. A guy in a kit fox just stands right behind him saying he doesn't want to die so he stays in the back.

The other team grouped up and pushed together and while several of us did 500-700 damage we couldn't win 10 v 12. The Dire and Kit Fox died last, the Dire finished a mech that was at like 25% and did about 158 damage, the Kit Fox did 53 damage.

There was some mocking the whole match in Teamspeak. Pointing out that they needed to move up and directly help or we would get rolled and they would get smashed alone and cost us the match. They said "you all pushed up alone and died then complain".

Read that sentence again.

"You all pushed up alone".

10 of us moved up into a stronger position but just couldn't hold with 100 tons of our firepower in the back inefficiently using 10%of his firepower and one light literally doing nothing.

Playing badly, making bad choices both in the mech bay and in a match are bad tho vs we do as players that makes the game worse for everyone who plays with us. It is not unreasonable to call this out. The person saying "hey, you hiding is hurting the team" or "dude come back you're up alone" isn't being toxic, the guy taking the terribad bud or playing poorly is.

We all make mistakes. Being made aware of it and fixing it is how we improve.

#36 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:45 AM

View PostAsym, on 02 May 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

I don't know about witchcraft, but you are spot-on about finding "like minded players" in a game that when you visit a TS/DC site and that team looks up your stats and you just aren't welcome.....even if you wanted to learn...take the hint potato. ..

Then they were not very like minded were they?

Found out quick and easy they are not for you. At least you didn't give up trying to find like minded, did you?

#37 UnKnownPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

View PostAsym, on 02 May 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

I don't know about witchcraft, but you are spot-on about finding "like minded players" in a game that when you visit a TS/DC site and that team looks up your stats and you just aren't welcome.....even if you wanted to learn...take the hint potato. Competition is one thing and it's not a bad concept in and of itself, but, when winning becomes "something else" and those like minded players start down the "win at all costs" road, what started out as a neat idea becomes something a bit dark..... I've seen this happen several times in the past year +...

Especially, if there are so many less teams that actually want "to have fun" first and, as they go along, improve as a group; it's not a wonder that new players don't want to talk to strangers...

Sometimes I wonder what "improve means"? Who decides what improve means? And, realistically, does it matter to anyone other than you?! I have in the past dropped with super efficient mech layouts and as a retired soldier, played within the tactics and doctrine of that team, followed tactical commands and still, wasn't sure what was the intent of their ongoing comments, tirades and negativity were intended to mean or affect? Some were just nasty, want-to-be's that blamed everyone else. Some were obsessed neophytes stuck in the "I am great loop" and in battle, actually hid, blamed others and fought from the rear... Some used the hated LRM's in the game and despised them in the forums because they wanted the niche to themselves.... Yes, seen all sorts of weird behavior....

We may never agree on a single thread, but you have the line above clearly identified and it is a root cause that is limiting individual growth I think....

There are some groups out there who will take people on no matter their stats or experience as long as they follow orders and take advice in the manner it is given. They will work with people that aren't great pilots but want to run with a group.

Cbr1, HHoD, 31HR, L0RE, A41, to name a few, go find them and drop in their TS.

#38 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:32 PM

View PostUnKnownPlayer, on 02 May 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

There are some groups out there who will take people on no matter their stats or experience as long as they follow orders and take advice in the manner it is given. They will work with people that aren't great pilots but want to run with a group.

I'd argue that the VAST majority of groups feel that way. I can count on one hand the number of times in the past three years I've seen people behave otherwise.

#39 Iron Buccaneer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

Friendly and healthy groups went away with the unit tax. The one buckit forced everyone onto the same playing field ruining everyone's FP experience as well as removing any aspect of the "Strategy" of the mode. These things are far more devastating to the mode that a few bad pilots who don't know how to use lrms effectively. There are a lot of pilots who don't know how to use their weapons effectively and then there are the guys who bring a Shadowcat or Raven with 2 er large lazers and sit at the back wracking up damage but refusing to share armor who think they are "leet" snipers because they did 1000+ damage while taking minimal risk. Why not more thread complaining about them?

#40 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

View PostTWIAFU, on 02 May 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

Then they were not very like minded were they?

Found out quick and easy they are not for you. At least you didn't give up trying to find like minded, did you?

Actually, I'm "teamed out".... I play full-time elsewhere and with "other teams" in other games... I'd have to quit the team I am on and I'm not sure I want to do that.....they were really great pilots and we had a blast while it lasted... Loyalty I guess, since they took me in a gave me a home. They aren't actively playing MWO anything more than trying S7 and events..

Ever need a potato that follows orders some night, let me know.... If you ever get the urge to try WoW (World of Warships) let me know......the clan I am in is family and mostly veterans .....go figure, eh?!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users