New Hbs Battletech Dev Update

30 replies to this topic

#1 JRcam4643

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

There are interesting and exciting possibilities here. I'm guessing if they're announcing this then sales must be looking good, which is excellent news for BT universe and probably good for MWO.

https://www.reddit.c...ama_summarized/

#2 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:03 AM

If/when they do a clan DLC....The stone Rhino will be included... sooo, Stone Rhino Preorder here when!

#3 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

Clan DLC :) Salvage a MadCat... Game over! Thanks for playing. LOL!

#4 AzureRathalos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

Isn't the Stone Rhino "Borderline Unseen" because it loosely resembles a Destroid Monster from Macross?

#5 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

View PostAzureRathalos, on 02 May 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

Isn't the Stone Rhino "Borderline Unseen" because it loosely resembles a Destroid Monster from Macross?

Depends on the artwork. Later works bear only the vaguest hint of a resemblance. Comparing that to the Monster would be like comparing an AT-ST to a Locust. Yeah, they are both reverse-jointed turrets on legs, but that is pretty much where the similarity ends.

#6 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

Speeding up the animations would be dumb, they already don't stomp enough.

Last thing the game needs is an Atlas swanning around like the Gurkha light infantry march.

However, speeding up the A.I would be a big plus.

#7 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

Nice update!!!!
Great to see the sales are good, if not great. I just fear the mindnumbing negative "reviews" on Steam didnt kick BT junk in too much. I fully understand those who have/ had a problem with technical issues and hickups with a good reason.

But those troll reviews that write nonsense after actually having been able to play it in like... 0.5 hours is just damnable at a minimum.
Also those yeah... dimwits not reading what the game is about and demanded, expected it to be a MechCommander game or even a MW game or like a fast paced COD experience by some bizarre reason.. All this time and they couldnt figure out what it was. Frigging....! Arrrgh. Stigmatising a game out of ignorance, sadistic enjoyment of over seen others being frustrated by their nonsense Ffs
/ rant

Anyhow...
I've been playing it often the last days, yeah my MWO time have facepalmed into the ground to put it mildly. I will find time to review the game after I have finished the story at least.
Havent encountered the problems those negatives reviewed about but as many others, it took time for the Paradox servers too give us backers and pre order folks the Atlas and Shadow Hawk skin. Love the Shawks skin, the Umbra (latin for shadow, the darkest part of a shadow) makes it look beefy, making sure my shawks witth that skin have max armor.

Posted Image

Edited by Tordin, 02 May 2018 - 11:15 AM.

#8 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

So this pretty much confirms why the Vulcan was picked for MWO over other mechs, it will fit directly in with a BT DLC, as any clan DLC will be well over a year out to even do that justice.

#9 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

A Clan SEQUEL would be nice, but as for an expansion...4th Succession War please :)

#10 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

To the bullet point of no LAM's, I say "[Redacted] Stop being such cowards, if done right they would be powerful in a highly specialized area, outside of that they would be sub-optimal choices."

Edited by draiocht, 02 May 2018 - 12:15 PM.
inappropriate language

#11 neofightr

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

View PostCathy, on 02 May 2018 - 11:10 AM, said:

Speeding up the animations would be dumb, they already don't stomp enough.

Last thing the game needs is an Atlas swanning around like the Gurkha light infantry march.

However, speeding up the A.I would be a big plus.

I am sure there will be options. I love the animations myself but there needs to be a way to individual skip movement animations but only if you hit a key else the animation plays. This allows you to preserve the immersion when you want to or speed things up if the action is getting dull or mission is about to complete.

In the mean time there is an easy fix to remove the dead time between turns.
https://www.rockpape...ix/#more-539023

#12 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:53 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 02 May 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

To the bullet point of no LAM's, I say "[Redacted] Stop being such cowards, if done right they would be powerful in a highly specialized area, outside of that they would be sub-optimal choices."

LAMs are a joke, they've always been a joke, and they are certainly the ONE AND ONLY THING that Harmony Gold actually can claim as IP infringement with any sort of success.

LAMs need to die. I love watching Macross and all, but LAMs should have no place in Battletech.

Edited by draiocht, 02 May 2018 - 12:16 PM.
Quote Clean-Up

#13 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 02 May 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

Depends on the artwork. Later works bear only the vaguest hint of a resemblance. Comparing that to the Monster would be like comparing an AT-ST to a Locust. Yeah, they are both reverse-jointed turrets on legs, but that is pretty much where the similarity ends.

Actually, there's 3 versions of it.

The original is Macross' Behemoth copy-cat through and through.
The second unseen version is the most popular one, this one is based on some Robotech-original upgrade of the Behemoth.
And finally, you have the reseen.

So... yeah. Stone Rhino is not exactly high on the list of candidates, especially since even if PGI won the current lawsuit in spades, HG could still try and sue them over it.

View PostStridercal, on 02 May 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

LAMs are a joke, they've always been a joke

They actually ***** face given to people who could use them. Hence several editions of really heavy-handed nerfing and rule updates to actually turn them into a joke by the Dark Age era.

Edited by Adridos, 02 May 2018 - 11:59 AM.

#14 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

[mod]This thread has been moved to
BattleTech® Discussion.[/mod]

#15 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

View PostStridercal, on 02 May 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

LAMs are a joke, they've always been a joke, and they are certainly the ONE AND ONLY THING that Harmony Gold actually can claim as IP infringement with any sort of success.

LAMs need to die. I love watching Macross and all, but LAMs should have no place in Battletech.

Actually, LAMs do have a place. It's just that that place is rather tricky to manage, not to mention the inherent fragility of a LAM. Plus, the Reseen art for the LAM look nothing like the Macross mecha.Posted Image

#16 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 02 May 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

Actually, LAMs do have a place. It's just that that place is rather tricky to manage, not to mention the inherent fragility of a LAM. Plus, the Reseen art for the LAM look nothing like the Macross mecha.Posted Image

Show me a cutaway of how these work. Never mind that Battlemechs themselves are crafted out of handwavium and barely competent physics. Show me how a LAM would work with any sort of internally consistent logic.

Don't get me wrong, they are fun. But they are the type of fun that exists in a joke that's funny only once. They are the sort of fun one has playing a single-session, one-shot comedy campaign in DnD for April Fools. Or building a gimmicky all-LRM lance for MWO FP. Or watching Borat.

LAMs have no place in Battletech, which, despite all it's goofiness at the edges, remains a mostly grounded scifi space opera.

#17 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:44 PM

Damn they confirmed the one thing that I absolutely wanted to see in the future to not even be on the table for discussion....Larger Scale Battles. That is the one area of the game I am disappointed it. I realize the battles would take longer and need bigger maps and more resources but I already know that the limited tactical game that is achievable with only a lance of 4 mechs is not going to be enough to keep my interest through expansions and DLC. <sigh>

Don't get me wrong, it is still a great and fun game and I feel I have already gotten my money's worth 10 times over already but even when I was doing TT Battletech, we already did a minimum of 12 vs 12.

Maybe, just maybe they will open the game up to player modding because if they do, then I am sure someone out there would expand the scale. Guess we can cross our fingers (or do something in one hand while wishing in the other and see which one fills first hehe).

View PostRequiemking, on 02 May 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

Actually they kind of wrote LAM's out of the lore if you really want to get technical about it. I am not sure which of the canon novels it was specifically but it was a story about Horse who got stranded on a Smoke Jaguar world due to treachery and was made bondman to some half crazy, disgraced Smoke Jaguar Cluster commander. In the book the Jade Falcons had an outpost on the world where they were doing research into LAM design and implementation and they even used a LAM in combat. However, one of the last comments the researchers made was that LAMs were unfeesable and unusable in combat and that they recommended that all further researched be stopped. Now granted that was only one Clan's research but it really sounded like they wanted to correct the mistake that was LAMs and write them out of the Battletech lore for good hehe.

On the other hand, there is a really, really old Battletech novel that featured a LAM and it worked fantastically so there is that.

#18 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 02 May 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

Damn they confirmed the one thing that I absolutely wanted to see in the future to not even be on the table for discussion....Larger Scale Battles. That is the one area of the game I am disappointed it. I realize the battles would take longer and need bigger maps and more resources but I already know that the limited tactical game that is achievable with only a lance of 4 mechs is not going to be enough to keep my interest through expansions and DLC. <sigh>

Don't get me wrong, it is still a great and fun game and I feel I have already gotten my money's worth 10 times over already but even when I was doing TT Battletech, we already did a minimum of 12 vs 12.

Maybe, just maybe they will open the game up to player modding because if they do, then I am sure someone out there would expand the scale. Guess we can cross our fingers (or do something in one hand while wishing in the other and see which one fills first hehe).

Actually they kind of wrote LAM's out of the lore if you really want to get technical about it. I am not sure which of the canon novels it was specifically but it was a story about Horse who got stranded on a Smoke Jaguar world due to treachery and was made bondman to some half crazy, disgraced Smoke Jaguar Cluster commander. In the book the Jade Falcons had an outpost on the world where they were doing research into LAM design and implementation and they even used a LAM in combat. However, one of the last comments the researchers made was that LAMs were unfeesable and unusable in combat and that they recommended that all further researched be stopped. Now granted that was only one Clan's research but it really sounded like they wanted to correct the mistake that was LAMs and write them out of the Battletech lore for good hehe.

On the other hand, there is a really, really old Battletech novel that featured a LAM and it worked fantastically so there is that.

Nope, It's just that the Clans never used LAMs. They never wrote them out of the lore for the IS. In fact There was a factory producing parts for them on Irece in the 3025 era. However, the factory stopped when the Nova Cats took over in 3050.

#19 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 02 May 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

A Clan SEQUEL would be nice, but as for an expansion...4th Succession War please :)

If/When they get around to the Clans, it would be great to have the option to start as a clanner during the pre-invasion era.

#20 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

AHHHHHHHHJ!!! freaking DLC!! YESSSS!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users