9 replies to this topic

#1 CoolLew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 224 posts
  • LocationInnersphere, Chaos March, Terra, South Carolina

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

I have been away for a while, but patched up the game and looked at it the other night, and all the changes are overwhelming. I gave up on it to be honest. Especially things like pilot skills are done differently. Could someone point me to a guide of the recent changes?
Thanks a million

#2 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

I'm kind of in the same spot. Can't jump right back in, even having to relearn (and reprogram) my control set-up. I've got a lot of credits/refunds of some new currency for all the skills returned from the previous systems, but it's going to take a while to relearn what's working before I can decided what to use them on.

#3 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

The tech is really the only new thing, and there are lots of threads explaining the various upgrades.

The big thing is the new skill tree, which gets rid of the stupid "master-three" system from way back in the day.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

https://mwomercs.com...-tutorialvideo/

Even for returning players, the New Player forum as tons of available information.

Get your feet wet again, come back to the skill tree later, and no need to blow through the 91 skill points in one run. What works for one player will not always work for the next player.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

One change worth noting is this is a discussion thread for Battletech, not MWO....

#6 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:33 PM

If you are a casual play you really don't need the skill tree. Just play like normal and enjoy the game. Biggest change is you can elite any mech now with out having to own 3 of the same chassis. But if you want to just copy some basic builds, so you dont feel at a disadvantage, then you can do that too.

Basically you use 91 skill points to unlock a mech to it full potential now. With how you want to build it up to the pilots discretion. They is no right way or wrong but if you ask certain people, certain trees are a must.
https://www.google.c...iPiWHlXLZBZak-i
Gl
Could make a video about it, to show how I build my mechs.

Edited by BrunoSSace, 04 May 2018 - 05:35 PM.

#7 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

Just think of the skill tree this way. It's mostly the old skills chopped up into smaller portions. With a few new things added on. Also you don't have to master 3 mechs anymore. The confusing part is the different currencies for skilling mechs out.

If you had mastered mechs. You should have gotten 91 Historic Skill Points (HPS) for each. You also received Historic XP for any accumulated XP after mastering.

It's pretty straightforward. You spend XP and C-bills to purchase more skill points. You get a total of 91 to apply to what you want. Each of the trees is aptly named for what they do. Except maybe operations which contains heat capacity and cool run skills. If you were a fan of radar derp, that's in the sensor skill tree, along with seismic.

It gets repetitive after a while and filling out skill trees becomes a breeze.

#8 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 05 May 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

Just think of the skill tree this way. It's mostly the old skills chopped up into smaller portions. With a few new things added on. Also you don't have to master 3 mechs anymore. The confusing part is the different currencies for skilling mechs out.

If you had mastered mechs. You should have gotten 91 Historic Skill Points (HPS) for each. You also received Historic XP for any accumulated XP after mastering.

It's pretty straightforward. You spend XP and C-bills to purchase more skill points. You get a total of 91 to apply to what you want. Each of the trees is aptly named for what they do. Except maybe operations which contains heat capacity and cool run skills. If you were a fan of radar derp, that's in the sensor skill tree, along with seismic.

It gets repetitive after a while and filling out skill trees becomes a breeze.

One strategy that should work fairly well is to just look through the skill tree and see which skills you actually want. Once you figure out the skills you HAVE to get, you can work out which nodes you need to get them.

For example, the weapon tree is lousy with Cooldown and Range increase nodes. But those are just filler. The weapon tree also has differently colored nodes that are weapon specific, and if you look at them, you'll see nodes for Missile weapons are all on the left side, buffs for Ballistic weapons are on the right, and energy weapon specific nodes are evenly spread out.

But one thing I get for EVERY mech I own is the Survival Tree nodes that buff Armor and Internal Structure points, which can be had for 32 SP. That buys every node except 2 on the Survival Tree, and once you start filling out the Survival Tree, it becomes pretty obvious which two to leave alone.

#9 CoolLew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 224 posts
  • LocationInnersphere, Chaos March, Terra, South Carolina

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for the info guys :)

Edit: oh and is there no longer a MWO General Discussion Forum page?

Edited by CoolLew, 11 May 2018 - 11:02 AM.

#10 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:56 PM

[mod]As this topic was posted to the incorrect sub-forum and
discussion has primarily been resolved,
this thread is now closed.

General Discussion may be found at:
https://mwomercs.com...ral-discussion/

Additional help may be found in New Player Help & its subforums:
https://mwomercs.com...ew-player-help/[/mod]

1 user(s) are reading this topic