So Who Is Still Playing Solaris? Why Or Why Not?

Gameplay

102 replies to this topic

#1 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

Personally didn’t touch it and don’t ever plan do do so. I think it’s implementation was a mistake. The new user experience and MWO’s core foundation needs to be rebuilt before we keep adding features to old dead engine.

#2 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

Same here, looked at it and didn't impress me enough to play.

#3 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

I play if for LAUGHS and FUNS.

Its sprsrs buisnis, so going in with "I'm gonna be a derp" has been more entertaining than EVER.

#4 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:34 AM

I suck at it so I quit playing it.

#5 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

First few days I played maybe a half dozen matches with a friend in 2v2. It was far more fun than I thought it would be. Really enjoyed it. Since last Saturday however, I have been unable to find matches, in any division, in the few instances we have tried.

I had no intention of playing Solaris solo but given the lack of population the last few days (which I believe is a result of Battletech’s launch) I have given it a go. Gotta admit, it is far more fun than I expected it to be. Over all though I find group queue play to be a lot more fun than either Solaris mode. Solaris, is to me nothing more than a filler. That said, it too is difficult to find matches in, even in prime time.

So yes, I will still attempt to play the Solaris modes but only if/when the group queue population is lacking, but unfortunately quite often of late the overall population is so low that I can’t even get a match in Solaris. Assuming the population returns to nominal levels after the novelty of Battletech wears thin, I doubt I will play Solaris at all because I will be back to playing my regular group queue fellows.

Edited by Bud Crue, 04 May 2018 - 10:41 AM.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:28 AM

Hundreds of matches played, and climbed up to top 5. Very happy with my achievement, and self validation, but I will slow down from now on, cause I haven't really invested in my Battletech game yet--something that needs to be rectified.

#7 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:33 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 04 May 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

...cause I haven't really invested in my Battletech game yet--something that needs to be rectified.

O,..,O Become one of us, Bandito. One of us. One of us. One of us.

#8 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

Looking at the general reception and rapid decline of participation in Solaris it’s looking like I called the right on the mark. So have many others of course it’s just common sense this was going to happen. Anyone who has been stuck in this environment for the years we have know the state of the game. Solaris was never going to bring new people in and keep them. In fact it was going to turn more new people off to mechwarrior in general.

Negative

-UI is confusing
-One to Two mechs dominate each division
-Spectator tool can be abused to give information to other team via Discord/TS3
-Spectator was implemented poorly
-Too many buckets
-Special Rules added just for Solaris that are not obvious
-Play to win crowd vs play for fun crowd cancel each other out, resulting in a fast abandonment rate.
-People don’t like to lose
-People also don’t like to beat up the same 5 people
-Bolt ons for the most part were implemented poorly and in my opinion don’t even look good

Positive

-Walk around mechlab
-Duncan Fisher is back

Edited by Imperius, 04 May 2018 - 12:12 PM.

#9 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

View PostImperius, on 04 May 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

Looking at the general reception and rapid decline of participation in Solaris it’s looking like I called the right on the mark. So have many others of course it’s just common sense this was going to happen. Anyone who has been stuck in this environment for the years we have know the state of the game. Solaris was never going to bring new people in and keep them. In fact it was going to turn more new people off to mechwarrior in general.

It brought me back in, and I am still here. :P But also I love MW/BT in general in the first place. There will be SOME whom retain, but not as many as most would first think.

So I don't fall under that 'new' category at all in that sense, so you are right in a way. Probably hooked more players that were already players at one time and have returned now due to new things to do.

#10 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:31 PM

View PostImperius, on 04 May 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

Personally didn’t touch it and don’t ever plan do do so. I think it’s implementation was a mistake. The new user experience and MWO’s core foundation needs to be rebuilt before we keep adding features to old dead engine.

[redacted]

#11 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Battletech ate most of the time I would have otherwise put into Solaris. Solo matches are fun and a great excuse to dust off old mechs that aren't great in QP now. Duo is fun, but if there is enough folks on to group with, we're probably going to just drop into QP instead.

Choosing between playing a few rounds of Solaris by myself or just grinding in Battletech is strongly favoring Battletech at the moment. Surely I'll tire of that eventually, right? No? Oh well.

#12 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

Got bored of it because I ran into the same few players over and over again. Went back to quick play. Took like half a dozen matches until I got fed up and went back to Solaris. I just can't stand QP any more. I tend to play to win which is a futile effort in QP but I can't change that, no matter how hard I try. It just frustrates the hell out of me,whether I try to carry or just derp about in crappy builds.

Solaris ain't all that great (mostly due to the low population tbh) but the bar isn't very high, either.

Edited by Luminis, 04 May 2018 - 01:10 PM.

#13 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:53 PM

Playing exclusively right now...

I really only have a few hours a couple times a week. S7 hits a sweet spot for a little mech-on-mech action before hitting the sack for the night.

QP is for weekends when I have time to kill...

Edited by DaZur, 04 May 2018 - 01:54 PM.

#14 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

I've mined enough div 2 salt in my piranha to last me for a while. Back to FP

#15 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:21 PM

I didn't mind it, but there wasn't really any substance to it that makes me want to log on for more than a few occasional matches. Mostly just ended up being more of what the game already was, a shallow arena shooter.

#16 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:27 PM

I loved it the first day. Thought it was ok the second day. Got bored out of my head on the third day. Never went back.

#17 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

I was pleasantly surprised with Solaris. The fundamental issues are still there - it's a potato farm and inevitably everyone who isn't really good at it will get ground out of it. We may already be at that point. However the setting, voice acting, maps, map voting, the UI, I really enjoyed all of it.

2 v 2 is a great experience in Solaris. Strongly recommend it. Aside from the glory days of Community Warfare 2.0 it's the most fun I've had in this game. However as Bud mentioned that population is already nearly gone because, as I mentioned before it was even released, if you're not great at it and you're not willing to quickly learn and adapt it's going to be a brutal experience that will drive most of the bads in MWO (which is like 85% bads) out of Solaris.

Currently I'm playing Battletech and working and have little time for else. I have a couple of MRBC matches a week (also a great deal of fun) and that's about it.

I'll probably come back to Solaris as my time shifts but I'll still be playing FW most the time I'm in MWO.

#18 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

I play solaris, I suck at it but at least I am giving others wins :D

View PostMischiefSC, on 04 May 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

I'll probably come back to Solaris as my time shifts but I'll still be playing FW most the time I'm in MWO.

Well DUH! time not spent clubbing seals is wasted time Amirite?

#19 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:14 PM

no, plain reason, que is too small

(edit: not short, i love the short wait time, just nobody que up)

Edited by razenWing, 04 May 2018 - 08:31 PM.

#20 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:14 PM

Im playing, look forward to doing some more 2v2 this weekend.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users