Tweaking My Rvn-4X Light Hunter

13 replies to this topic

#1 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:43 AM

I use a Raven-4X as my dedicated light hunter. And I do well with it. Most of the time it get another light in its sights that light will suffer for it.

But I still feel it could be more optimized to be more killy.

This is what I run right now. RVN-4X Light Hunter (As always ignore the armour distribution.)

But I don't really feel that the ERMLs does much damage as their longer duration makes them a bit flighty, painting their damage all over the place, especially in the high speed brawls 1v1 light fights end up as.

So I'm contemplating switching the ERMLs for either SPLs or MPLs.

The MPLs have the benefits of higher burst damage but would require to down grade the ssrms to a 4 instead of a 6 and cutting the available ammo with half a ton.

The SPLs have a quick burst damage but suffer from short range and low damage, though the range match the HMGs. Switching to SPLs on the other hand doesn't affect the rest of the build.

Keeping the ERMLs on the other hand does allow me to poke and harass larger mechs at range even if they're not as effective hurting lights.

So should I tweak it and if so, is it better to go with MPLs or SPLs.

#2 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:26 AM

View PostChryckan, on 06 May 2018 - 11:43 AM, said:

Most of the time it get another light in its sights that light will suffer for it.

Your "light hunter" seems very ineffective, heavy machine guns spread damage and are really close range, a single streak 6 spreads damage even more and has way too low dps and the ER meds have way too long duration and low dps for any serious light vs light fight. These weapons do not work well together... at all!

This build only works against inexperienced light pilots and falls short against any other mech above the raven's tonnage.

As a light pilot my self (Locust) i'm by no means scared off by this build. Come back with some serious ppfld (or if you really must be setup against lights only: 4xstreak 6's, but that wouldn't work against bigger mechs neither) that would keep me away...

Edited by B3R3ND, 08 May 2018 - 05:28 AM.

#3 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:34 AM

2 Med pulses , 2 lmg and one SRM6 artemis with 2 t of ammo would be a lot better to hunt light...

Or you can be trolly and put a 225xl, with an ac20 and 2,5t of ammo ?

#4 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

This:

View PostDamnedtroll, on 08 May 2018 - 05:34 AM, said:

2 Med pulses , 2 lmg and one SRM6 artemis with 2 t of ammo would be a lot better to hunt light...

Only I'd maybe go for ASRM4: RVN-4X
As a light hunter in a suboptimal light hunting mech you're really limited. What makes a light hunter scary is either streak boating (not the strong spot of the 4X) or the ability to target components (legs, in particular.)

Med pulses with the laser duration nodes and a bit of aim can get full or nearly full damage on an enemy light's legs, SRMs give a bit of splash but Artemis SRM4s are nearly pinpoint at MPL range. Once armor is opened up use the LMGs for that bonus crit damage. To conserve LMG ammo I'd not use it at all unless an opponent has open armor. Alternately drop to 1.5 tons SRM ammo and bring the LMG up to 1 ton if you use your LMGs more. I just find them dangerous in a non-tanky light, as they encourage too much facetime.

EDIT: Just FYI I kept the BAP because one useful function of a Light Hunter IMO is counter-ECM so your allies can target the light you're chasing. If you rarely get within ECM countering range of enemy lights I'd drop the BAP for one or more of: ammo, a heatsink, jumpjets, or upgrading to ASRM6.

Edited by DodgerH2O, 08 May 2018 - 07:49 AM.

#5 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

2MPL/2MG - shoot legs.

2MPL/2MG/SRM4 - shoot legs
Artemis is not needed (as much) for IS srms, especially the 4, as they are very tightly grouped "out of the box".

JJ's for maneuvering
BAP for counter ECM
AMS for counter streaks

Edited by McGoat, 08 May 2018 - 08:59 AM.

#6 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

But still choosing a Raven to hunt light is a bad choice...A wolfhound loaded with a bunch of mpulses are way better ! Slicing legs super fast ! Or even a Ciccada 3m with ecm and medpulses....

Edited by Damnedtroll, 08 May 2018 - 09:21 AM.

#7 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:24 PM

Optimizing what ya got there HMG's completely not worth the weight, switch to MGs, as others have pointed out streaks don't do consistant damage to areas you need it so you're mainly just building up heat and wasting tonnage.  HMGs are better suited to something with the spare tonnage to carry enough ammo to make use of them.  Mpulse are much better as each pulse does damage rather than streamed damage (ERML for light hunting is wasting heat) unfortunatly lights are very touchy when it comes to tonnage use and heat generation.  the 4x is quick but not entirely sure it excells at anything (not the fastest light, not the best geared towards much execpt narcing (and the 3L is better for that) and honestly if they turn around and fight you, you're not as well armored either)  But, it's about using the mech ya like sooo.  I'd ditch the SSRM6 for the SRM4 (SRM6 grouping spreads too much so you're going to waste a couple missles anyways.  Switch to the Mpulse (tonage saved from SSRM6 covers that) That could be used for more ammo for your HMGs if you prefer to keep them or switch the HMGs over to MGs and add a couple heatsinks or put jumpjets on it

Edited by The Schwartz, 08 May 2018 - 03:33 PM.

#8 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:35 AM

I've noticed that the SSRMs isn't as effective as I hoped. Did some testing in the testing grounds and the spread is ridiculous. The spread is also extremely predictable in that no matter the range or angle the missiles will hit in the exact same pattern.

On the other hand the mech is quite good at killing lights. At least so far I tend to come out on top in fights with other lights, especially during 1vs1. Sure, it might be that I'm the better pilot. But I honestly think the Raven (along with plenty of other mechs) is suffering from being typecasted. Metamechs once said the raven is only good at scouting and sniping so all the cool meta wannabees automatically think it sucks at all other roles.

Gonna switch to srms for better pinpoint damage. The streak homing function was nice when chasing lights but the shotgun effect made them less than ideal.

#9 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:35 AM

View PostChryckan, on 09 May 2018 - 03:35 AM, said:

I've noticed that the SSRMs isn't as effective as I hoped.

The biggest problem I found with using streaks to hunt lights (especially on a mech with no lateral arm movement) was getting that first target lock. I have a Viper hero that I've fashioned as a light hunter - 3x c-ERSL in each arm and a s-srm4 on the LT. They all have the same range, so I'll have the three lasers and streak in a weapon group each, then shoot the lasers while the streaks are getting their lock so that I can at least get some damage out even if the missiles don't get a lock (this whole post made more sense in my head I'm tired ok?)

#10 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:47 AM

View PostThe Schwartz, on 08 May 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

Optimizing what ya got there HMG's completely not worth the weight, switch to MGs, as others have pointed out streaks don't do consistant damage to areas you need it so you're mainly just building up heat and wasting tonnage. HMGs are better suited to something with the spare tonnage to carry enough ammo to make use of them. Mpulse are much better as each pulse does damage rather than streamed damage (ERML for light hunting is wasting heat) unfortunatly lights are very touchy when it comes to tonnage use and heat generation. the 4x is quick but not entirely sure it excells at anything (not the fastest light, not the best geared towards much execpt narcing (and the 3L is better for that) and honestly if they turn around and fight you, you're not as well armored either) But, it's about using the mech ya like sooo. I'd ditch the SSRM6 for the SRM4 (SRM6 grouping spreads too much so you're going to waste a couple missles anyways. Switch to the Mpulse (tonage saved from SSRM6 covers that) That could be used for more ammo for your HMGs if you prefer to keep them or switch the HMGs over to MGs and add a couple heatsinks or put jumpjets on it

Pretty much exactly what I gave him above, here

#11 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:01 AM

fixed
https://mwo.smurfy-n...d37c81e0ae75f06

#12 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

Ahh I missed that sorry Goat. @Chrykan, yeah streaks can have their place, get something with horrible torso twisting speed and torso mounted missles and it keeps you from having to completely turn to face your target. I used to use them for "divebombing" Alpha on the run in at max streak range then tap it again right before i break lock (they changed how the target reticile holds locks now) but you could pull off 180* shots if you timed it right. Main thing on the raven on why i personally don't like it for light hunting is it's legs are made of toothpicks. Take it vs a myst lynx or Artic cheeta and they can snap them in mere seconds where your firepower is just going to be lacking to make a good trade. If you're not getting legged then yes the ravens other hitboxes are rather nice for damage mitigation. So alot of it does depend on the skill of the other light pilot as well, if you're having success i'm not going to complain one bit :)

#13 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

I tend to agree - I'm a Light pilot and while I wouldn't get too worried about your original build, the one Toha links above might be cause for concern. Play what you like though. You'll play it more often and that will bring the mastery which can often make up for a build's weaknesses. Ravens are good times. :)

#14 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

Was curious and ran it a few times i def wanna say watch out for that JJ or put something into the JJ tree as it creeps the heat on ya while running things down. Noticed it catches people offguard being at their back while they think they're outrunning you lol. It's good fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users