19 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

Hello fellow MechWarriors! Today I have a proposition. I expect the worst possible, yet effective configuration for various mechs.

Welcome to “Tier Protato”

I expect only the very worst.

The wools
1. You must make a combat-effective build that is so absurd that you wouldn’t use it in quick play (must be able to finish a mech with it)
2. You must post a smurfy link to each of your “Tier Protato” builds
3. You must post one build from each weight class, Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault. No more, no less.
4. You must try to duplicate at least one of the builds in the previous posts in quick play and record your results, be it in screenshot format and wrap it with the spoilers tag.
5. (Bonus Points) Take a drink each time you lose in the previous poster’s “Tier Protato” mech.

You win bragging rights and a couple laughs.

I shall not post my protato builds in the original post.

Edited by Mad Dog Morgan, 09 May 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#2 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

You should award bonus points for not doing the obvious thing: using the bad hero mechs (e.g. pretty baby).

(will edit in builds here later)
Here we go - each with a 'sales pitch' and a description of the flaws:

light - KFX-G Kitfox 'probotector':

https://mwo.smurfy-n...a1f273cf37be712

This beauty right here is all about hitting without getting hit back. Protected from the LRM meta by full armour, 3 LAMS and ECM, this build is perfectly outfitted to get into range for using the NARC launcher - farming a rare resource called 'target locks'. To exploit this rare resource, the build carries an ATM launcher of appropriate size. Finally, the ER-SML provides protection within minimum range of the ATM.

Spoiler

medium - CDA-B Cicada 'awesome':

https://mwo.smurfy-n...8e8f876b41b1a40

Maximizing the use of the Cicada chassis as a sniper and harasser, this build brings a beloved assault loadout to the medium weight class. Moving at awesome speed, this build can bring the firepower of an assault to bear, not ever having the problem of having to wait for weapon cooldown.

Spoiler

heavy - DRG-1N Dragon 'eyes of the coordinator':

https://mwo.smurfy-n...db9d806fab3b0e6

Equipped with a command console, active probe AND targeting computer, this mech can spot targets across the map. Trading armor for speed allows this Dragon to keep pace with many light mechs. Small lasers, an SRM launcher and two MGs provide a strong armament for engaging at close range. The LRM launcher provided as a backup weapon will lock onto targets near instantly.

Spoiler

assault - KGC-000B King Crab 'prancing fairy':

https://mwo.smurfy-n...e14b9fbb40d364e

The major weakness of assault mechs is their lack of mobility and their inability to deal with light mechs - something this build has no problems with. Moving fast, this King Crab excels at the role of light hunter. It uses its tag laser to lock onto lights, cracks open their armour using Streak SRM and does what lights usually do to assaults: eat internals using heavy MG fire. In case any pesky light tries to escape, a barrage of heavy PPC fire will take off their legs in few hits.

Spoiler

I would like to appologize in advance for the TC on the dragon build - making a heavy bad is hard work.

Edited by Exilyth, 09 May 2018 - 05:04 PM.

#3 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:31 PM

I so want to do this, but I'll likely end up posting builds that will get me 1000+ damage matches. (the worse the build, the better I do apparently)

#4 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:17 PM

I came up with this bad boy as an invisible jumping mega Jackal...

[smurfy]https://mwo.smurfy-n...dbab005198797bc[/smurfy]

Wait, one for each weight class? What is outside of lights and mediums?!

Okay, HPPC Commando - because that’s why!

[smurfy]https://mwo.smurfy-n...518cf02ffa750f8[/smurfy]

Edited by stealthraccoon, 27 May 2018 - 10:23 PM.

#5 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

Sneaky Gauss Boi... FNR-5 (invisible apartment building that runs out of ammo as fast as it runs out of hot water)

I don't think I'm very good at this.

Sneaky Wub Boi... HBR-PRIME (if it ever gets in range, it'll be a part of a force to contend with)

Mini Death Star... DEATHWISH (it dies when it fires, just like the real Death Star!)

Volcano... COU-H (it's more dangerous to itself than to anyone else)

Edited by BTGbullseye, 28 May 2018 - 07:15 AM.

#6 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

View PostExilyth, on 09 May 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

The LRM launcher provided as a backup weapon will lock onto targets near instantly.

FYI: You still only have the basic missile lock speeds as any normal LRM launcher. Only Artemis, TAG and NARC actually speeds up missile lock times.

Your CC, TC and AP all will speed up data gathering for target locks. This often is confused for missile "locks". Target lock and missile lock are two different functions.

#7 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:27 AM

Sure, now that I've posted in there, I guess I can post my own "joke" builds, which some of them have worked strangely well.

(I'll edit in Smurfy links later)
Locust: Std 100 engine, with dual LRM5s and dual SRM2s.

I once caught an Atlas in the perfect death spiral with this, blasting half his mech to shreads with the SRMs... until an ally light decided to "help" me out... which got us both killed...

Cicada 1C/3M: Depending upon which chassis you desire, I have my old 1C based off the Hollander. Moves around 90 KPH and comes with single heat sinks, a Gauss Rifle and a single ML. A slightly more serious version with "new tech" now has a larger light engine, a light Gauss, and two ERMLs with ECM and Stealth armor.

I've actually done well with this many times. It's a patience build, and a sneaky sniper. posted the two up because I've refined the design as it's gone. (It was in competition with my Assassin with three ERMLs and two LRM10s. But these designs are older... so they win.)

Dragon: a single ERLL, AC5 and two SSRM2s.

This build is so old, it was once considered very effective for a Dragon. No-a-days? Not so good any longer... Back in the day this build was an excellent choice to hunt down light mechs as well as flank a target, fighting from the corner of your screen with your arm mounted weapons, letting the (CT homing) SSRM from the CT do their thing... Now? Now it's just a relic build that has fallen into the realm of "joke" if I was to play it again.

Stalker 3F: Two LRM15s, two SSRM2s, four MLs.

For a long time, my original Stalker build was considered a "joke build" by many people, despite it's well rounded performance. I did good with it, but many people didn't like the "mashed a Catapult and a Jenner together" build. Back in it's day (when the Stalker was released), this build did extremely well, earning some of my best stats on a mech at the time. Was considered bad then, so by now it's probably a joke build (with new tech and all).

Edit: Finally got my links in.

Edited by Tesunie, 24 June 2018 - 03:34 PM.

#8 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

VND-1X

Vindytroll, get up high and keep 'em rocking and rolling with chain fire AC/2 madness... only time you have to stop firing is when your bins go dry.

KGC-000

Face eater, seriously get this monster with in 90m of a mech and watch it melt.

#9 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

I could win this easily just by showing you my normal builds....

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 28 May 2018 - 08:58 AM, said:

I could win this easily just by showing you my normal builds....

All the builds I've posted, I have used. Just as a hint.

#11 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:59 PM

I've got one.

WRX-7D (Wolverine)

The power of a light mech with the armor of nearly a heavy all reaching 100+kph w/ masc

It's not about whether or not you kill anything when you get there, but how fast you get there.

Edited by Mad Dog Morgan, 09 June 2018 - 03:01 PM.

#12 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:57 AM

In honor of the recent high alpha discussion, I present the Doomtaro. 100 alpha damage, moderately mobile, decently armored medium. It can outright kill the Atlas in training grounds with a backshot from 50m and it turns the Catapult front CT to red internals in 1 shot. Posted Image

KTO-20

I originally built this on an HBK-4SP, but the KTO-20 is just a -slightly- more practical platform.

Edited by Elizander, 13 June 2018 - 08:02 AM.

#13 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

I can’t take this forum seriously... I have not seen a single dual ac20 cicadappocolypse...

#14 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 12 July 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

I can’t take this forum seriously... I have not seen a single dual ac20 cicadappocolypse...

This thread is about awful builds that are valid loadouts. Construction rules prevent you from boating dual 20's on a Cicada.

Edited by Horseman, 12 July 2018 - 09:20 AM.

#15 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:02 AM

View PostHorseman, on 12 July 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

This thread is about awful builds that are valid loadouts. Construction rules prevent you from boating dual 20's on a Cicada.

Construction rules?

https://mwo.smurfy-n...e82fdaeec98b6b8

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 12 July 2018 - 11:11 AM.

#16 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 12 July 2018 - 11:02 AM, said:

Armor? Who needs armor...

#17 krevLL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 100 posts
  • LocationPolar Highlands - wait, no, Canada.

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:45 PM

I'm with Aleksandr, there's a video on MechSpecs under the ROFLCannon Cicada build of a guy who won a match in Solaris with it. As per my challenge I gifted him MC afterwards. YouTube link here

#18 krevLL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 100 posts
  • LocationPolar Highlands - wait, no, Canada.

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

Also, builds I suppose for relevancy.

Light: LCT-PB

Medium: CDA-3C

Heavy: MDD-RV

Assault: MCII-1

I've played them all, they all are generally awful. Although the MDD is pretty damn fun.

**EDIT** My runner up for a Heavy choice: 350 damage alpha

Edited by krevLL, 24 July 2018 - 07:53 PM.

#19 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:56 PM

Harumph, my king crab, the dappercrab has 6 hmg and performs quite well, with single heat sinks even!
And c2erm/mrm10x2 :3

#20 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:34 PM

UAC 20 Chettah

AC10 Firestarter

UAC10 might work as well

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 30 July 2018 - 11:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users