Making Solaris 7 A Little Better (Suggestions)

20 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:36 PM

Ok Guys, so here's a few ideas for making Solaris 7 better..

First off:

1) For StranaMechty's sake, make this:

Posted Image

look like this:

Posted Image

OR like this:

Posted Image

The player names are waaay to tiny, and you can't really see who you're fighting.. Also, they are awkwardly positioned..

ALSO

2) Remove Draw / Ties - Instead determine the winner by whoever did better, did more damage, removed more components or overall higher matchscore... No fight should ever have an undetermined outcome!

This way, people won't profit from avoiding the fight and hiding / running from a fight..

3) Assaults Vs Piranhas? Really? Come on.. Posted Image

4) Add more Duncan Fisher sounds.. lots more.. the ones currently in game become stale and repetitive after 10 matches..

Post your own ideas here!

P.S.

Have to commend the ELO system.. so far, most of my matches have been close and exciting.. very few were totally one-sided.. Good MatchMaking there..

Edited by Vellron2005, 02 May 2018 - 11:37 PM.

#2 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:10 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 02 May 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

2) Remove Draw / Ties - Instead determine the winner by whoever did better, did more damage, removed more components or overall higher matchscore... No fight should ever have an undetermined outcome!

More damage, more component destruction and so on does not indicate a better performance - it could actually mean you are just a lousy shot spreading damage all over the place and not destroying the right components. With that logic sheer firepower is favoured over precision damage. It might result in a winner but surely doesnt indicate who was the better player.

#3 NNQM

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:31 AM

[color=#959595]Post your own ideas here![/color]

1. Short automated tournaments for a few players. Reaching rank 10 in favoured division has left me out of goals.
2. Rematch button. Obviously.
3. Ragequit / suicide button at the beggining when facing another imbalanced builds abuser or light vs assault situation.
4. IMHO, disabling pilot skills could make matches a little more tactical (slower rate of fire, faster heating) than dps / alpha vomit contest.

#4 Rick T Dangerous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 354 posts
  • LocationExactly above Earth's center

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:29 AM

This way, people won't profit from avoiding the fight and hiding / running from a fight..

I still don't understand how people can get a tie. In Div 2 I played over 650 matches, not a single tie. How do you get a tie?

3) Assaults Vs Piranhas? Really? Come on.. Posted Image

Is fun. Sometimes they hump my legs to death, sometimes they go boom. But generally I'm with you... it's a brave form of exploitation.

4) Add more Duncan Fisher sounds.. lots more.. the ones currently in game become stale and repetitive after 10 matches..

Full agreeal here. I still want to hear what he says at start when the stats are so far apart, the outcome of the match is clear from the beginning.

View PostNNQM, on 03 May 2018 - 01:31 AM, said:

3. Ragequit / suicide button at the beggining when facing another imbalanced builds abuser or light vs assault situation.

There are two of those: override and MASC.

Post your own ideas here!

1. Solaris units, i.e. stables would be nice.

2. An opportunity to send a friend invite to a player after the match. Those 25 seconds after the match are not enough for anything, though I had some nice conversations in that short a time. And some players seem to not have all chat enabled, so they can't read what I write to them. Had a match were my opponent discoed right at the start. Some matches later we met again, and I told him that I won't shoot, he should come over and just take my head. But he had all chat disabled, so he came and shredded my mech. Alternatively...

3. Force enable all chat when entering S7 or add something like the command wheel, with options like "all weapons gone", "no more ammo", "take my head", and maybe even an option to agree on a cease fire for one minute.

4. Stuff you can win/unlock that helps in the matches. Like sabotaging a random weapon system in the opponent's mech. Or unique weapon systems like inferno SRMs, acid SRMs, e-pods and stuff like that.

#5 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:12 AM

1. Ditch elo for rpi player stats
2. Multiple round matches (1,3)
3. Bounties!
4. Place cbill bets on matches

#6 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:06 AM

[redacted]

Edited by Throe, 12 December 2018 - 05:44 PM.

#7 M R T

• PipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:21 AM

View PostThroe, on 03 May 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

Needs to come with a steep penalty for the suicide(as in: negative match rewards), or it's too easy to exploit between two or more people in collusion.

Penalty should be loss of match, same as if you concede the match in chess. How can it be exploited? People can do this today by purposefully overheating or just charging the enemy and standing still. I'm just curious as to how you can exploit it since you will loose the match either way.

#8 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

[redacted]

Edited by Throe, 12 December 2018 - 05:44 PM.

#9 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

View PostThroe, on 03 May 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

No. Please, no.

Or at least give me the option to turn him off. So annoying.

you have it now.

#10 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

[redacted]

Edited by Throe, 12 December 2018 - 05:45 PM.

#11 M R T

• PipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

View PostThroe, on 03 May 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

Suiciding is already against the Code of Conduct, as a reportable and punishable offense, so although it is possible as of now, it's very strongly discouraged, and you can end up with a game ban for doing it enough. Implementing this would be no different than making Suicide fully legal within the Code of Conduct.

This makes perfect sense in a team game, as the 'suiciding' player ruin's it for the rest of the team. However in a 1v1 duel, it really isn't any different than a win for the winner and a loss for the looser. In fact it will probably save both players some time and grief, as the match will be over quickly, and they can move on to a better balanced match, which hopefully will be more rewarding for both of them.

View PostThroe, on 03 May 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

It could be abused by two players acting in collusion by repeatedly "giving" each other the win simply to farm the rewards from the match(the loser still gets a token "reward"). In order to balance that potential, the Suicide loser's "match rewards" by using this would have to be a negative integer equal to the winner's positive match rewards.

When it comes to SSR, I don't think that's true, because Elo is used in chess, and in chess you are allowed to resign a match. I have never heard of any chess players getting a higher ranking by resigning matches. If you are referring to other rewards, like loot boxes, XP, accolade etc, I kinda feel there are better and faster ways of accumulating them. But I could be wrong.

Just thinking that an unbalanced match would be a bad experience for both players, so a resign match option would be good for both.

Edited by Morte Nilsum, 03 May 2018 - 12:37 PM.

#12 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

[redacted]

#13 MacCaileanMor

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

1. Allow mechs to fight up at higher divisions (e.g. if I want to take my Centurian to division 1 let me).
2. Make one more close quarters battle type of map so that there are three open maps and three CQB type maps. If I have to fight an Annihilator I want to be able to stab him in the back.
3. Make 12 man death match or maybe 4 teams of two.
4. Probably not enough player participation but having an option where a mob of low tier players take on a couple tier 1 players might be a fun mode.
5. Solaris seems like a game mode where you could have a different weird match setup every month. Mix it up get creative (5 v 4; 3 v 3 v 3; clan v IS; etc.).

#14 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:15 PM

Replays! We need replays! I wanna see the replay of my matches from every angle.

#15 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

[redacted]

#16 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:01 PM

It's not much fun for either party being seeded into a 400 point gap match. I'm learning D3 and was 0-4 with some failed ideas before bringing in a brawling Linebacker. Anyhow, in low 1400s. Had two sequential matches against mid 1800s player in a Wolfhound with a 2.5-1 win ratio over almost 100 D3 games.

There were other people in the que at the time because I beat 3 and tied/last salvo loss to another one. One light, one medium, two heavies, all different.

Wolfhound dogfighting went to Wolfie both times after a ton of work from him legging me down and not-good-enough aim from me. But he got 6 points total while he would have lost many times that in just one match if I nailed another SRM salvo/it registered. This somewhat sucks for both of us.

Edited by SmokedJag, 04 May 2018 - 05:11 PM.

#17 Serial Number

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:04 PM

You can't make it better when it's already dead after 1-2 weeks. Today I logged on trying to get solo solaris match - 2 players on on every single Div. Let alone group 2v2, that's even more dead than 1v1. This thing is even more dead than CW. <3

#18 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

How to make Solaris a better experience...

Make a new game where weapons function as they should in Battletech and not like in any other C-rated lousy pinpoint alpha shooter that is around.

At the moment the niveau is below Unreal turnament with the difference that Unreal got more and more interesting maps.

#19 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

We need 1 more map, so that the map selection can rotate a little and make people use mechs that are not specialized and meta as much

#20 Uakari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:54 PM

An option to play 2 vs 2 without group queue. Like an normal quickplay match.

Then we have:

1vs1
2vs2
2vs2 preformed group

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users