Huge Fps Drop Independent On Graphics Setting

12 replies to this topic

#1 Eagleking

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:28 AM

Hello,
I have problem, which makes the MWO unplayable. It doesn't matter, how I set the graphics, but the FPS allways drops under 10 in some moments like fast moving, shooting and so on.
The FPS with lowest possible settings drops from 150 to 5-10 and sometimes the game stucks for more than 2s.
If I set everything on HIGH, the max FPS is 30-50 but still the drops appear.
I tried all advices found on this forum, like "HPET", but nothing helps.
Haven't tried to modify the "user.cfg", because this file doesn't exist.
My notebook HW is:
i7 4720HQ
SSD
GTX 860m 4Gb GDDR5
12Gb RAM
Updated drivers. I think, this HW is more than enough.
Where can be problem? What to try next?
Thanks

Edited by Eagleking, 11 May 2018 - 08:39 AM.

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

Check and make sure it's not using the integrated Intel GPU instead of your 860...

#3 Eagleking

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:44 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 11 May 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

Check and make sure it's not using the integrated Intel GPU instead of your 860...

Its not, I am sure, the dedicated GPU rises its clock, but it is used from 30% or less

#4 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:23 PM

Then you should check your Power Options settings. Make sure you're set to "high Performance".

#5 Eagleking

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:39 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 11 May 2018 - 07:23 PM, said:

Then you should check your Power Options settings. Make sure you're set to "high Performance".

Everything is set to "high performance" or power setting but still nothing

#6 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:49 AM

Try rolling back your drivers to an earlier version.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:11 AM

My notebook HW is:
i7 4720HQ
SSD
GTX 860m 4Gb GDDR5
12Gb RAM

Should be running monitor tools. I see a laptop/.notebook, a system that many do not even THINK about doing any sort of maintenance on it such as clearing out the dust buildup on the heatsinks/exhausts. Then using said system for a demanding game that which pushes things which generates heat that is not being moved out of the system fast or efficiently.
  • What is the exact brand-model of this notebook?
  • Can of compressed air - if you have never cleaned your system or it has been a long time, research on how to disassemble it enough to get to the heatsinks/fans as there may be enough build that may require it. Take care to not SPIN the fans excessively. No need to burn up the bearings.
  • Cap the game's FPS to 60FPS, either through the GPU software for the game (make a profile) or create and place user.cfg with this line sys_MaxFPS = 60. No need to push 150FPS.
  • Consider disabling Turboboost - layperson's TEMPORARY overclocking of CPU, where more power is applied to fewer and fewer cores, which also increases the heat on those cores. But with MWO is not a temporary OC, so once the heat threshold is hit the system DROPS CPU speed to either 800/1000mhz to give the core(s) time to cooldown. Again, you are on a NOTEBOOK, not a desktop system.
  • https://www.tautvida...el-turbo-boost/ I usually suggest dropping it to 98% or even 97%.
Frequency 2600 MHz

Maximum turbo frequency
3600 MHz (1 core)
3500 MHz (2 cores)
3400 MHz (3 or 4 cores)

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 13 May 2018 - 05:12 AM.

#8 Eagleking

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:23 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 13 May 2018 - 05:11 AM, said:

Should be running monitor tools. I see a laptop/.notebook, a system that many do not even THINK about doing any sort of maintenance on it such as clearing out the dust buildup on the heatsinks/exhausts. Then using said system for a demanding game that which pushes things which generates heat that is not being moved out of the system fast or efficiently.
  • What is the exact brand-model of this notebook?
  • Can of compressed air - if you have never cleaned your system or it has been a long time, research on how to disassemble it enough to get to the heatsinks/fans as there may be enough build that may require it. Take care to not SPIN the fans excessively. No need to burn up the bearings.
  • Cap the game's FPS to 60FPS, either through the GPU software for the game (make a profile) or create and place user.cfg with this line sys_MaxFPS = 60. No need to push 150FPS.
  • Consider disabling Turboboost - layperson's TEMPORARY overclocking of CPU, where more power is applied to fewer and fewer cores, which also increases the heat on those cores. But with MWO is not a temporary OC, so once the heat threshold is hit the system DROPS CPU speed to either 800/1000mhz to give the core(s) time to cooldown. Again, you are on a NOTEBOOK, not a desktop system.
  • https://www.tautvida...el-turbo-boost/ I usually suggest dropping it to 98% or even 97%.
Frequency 2600 MHz

Maximum turbo frequency
3600 MHz (1 core)
3500 MHz (2 cores)
3400 MHz (3 or 4 cores)

Hello,
thanks for advices, my notebook is Acer Aspire V15 nitro black,
the heat is not the problem, I've never cleaned the notebook, but the GPU temp is ok, all the game it never rises above 85dgC. I am also using cooling stand to avoid this.
The problem is that the GPU is loaded only upto 30% all the game according to GPU-Z sensors, when the game stucks (FPS goes down) the GPU load jumps to 80% for few seconds and then down again to 30% or so.

I also play World of tanks and I never had this kind of problem there. The FPS there is stable. Yes, I am on notebook, but powerfull enough to play this game

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:26 AM

WoT is not MWO. MWO is a heavily modified Crysengine 3 on the backend. GPU is dependent on what the CPU can provide it but it can not do that is the CPU is being throttled due to exceeding heat thresholds which then drops the CPU speed to 1000mhz.

Just going to leave this pic of a heatsink on a laptop that has not had its heatsinks cleaned. Tell me, do you believe a cooler an actual workaround to maintenance? And all variables have to be reviewed. This is a good first step, as there is no workaround it. All that has to happen is for one core to exceed its heat threshold to cause the enter system to throttle down for a few to allow it to drop its temps.

Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 June 2018 - 03:31 AM.

#10 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

*WARNING* - INCOMING WALL OF TEXT

do you know how much your 'loading' each core ? which leads me to the next question, have you tried messing with CPU threading ? at the beginning of the log file ( Omicron.log - found within C:Users* YOUR USER NAME *Saved GamesMechWarrior OnlineLogs ) the client describes the CPU that it sees, how many threads are available to it etc ...

for example, mine looks like this (trimmed)
Spoiler

essentially you might get a better result from NOT using the hyperthreaded cores ... the intel fanboys will tell you that this game is all about single thread performance, and I accept that that is their interpretation of what they see, but behind the scenes theres much more going on than that, the version of cryengine we have was designed when AMD had a true hex core on the market, as such, the game has design limitations around 6 cores, other than the 'main' thread, there are six supporting threads, and then there are 'job system' threads, where in theory a task can go out to one of these 'alternate' threads if its primary thread is 'busy', there are six addressable threads for the job system, but the default crytek configuration creates 8 instances within the six addresses, and MWO does not change that .... threads given addresses that are higher than the amount of addressable cores, wrap around to the start of the stack again, and this is probably were part of your problem is ....

anyway, if I look at the defaults on my system, they come up looking like this, see if you can spot the weirdness before the next section
       sys_main_CPU = 0	     sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 3
    sys_physics_CPU = 1	     sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 5
  sys_streaming_CPU = 1	     sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 4
  e_ParticlesThread = 1	     sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 3
 ca_thread0Affinity = 5	     sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 2
 ca_thread1Affinity = 3	     sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 1
r_WaterUpdateThread = 5 
the main thread is given room to breathe on the 'first' core, which may be intepretted as the last core by windows, because you know, why not be backwards, the next cpu core is pretty much choked out with things, while the one after it is just about left alone, in terms of loading ... if your on a quad core, numbers after 3 get wrapped back around ( arrays start counting at 0 ), so taskthread2 can start impeding the main thread, and taskthread1 gets bonus loaded onto the first core along with the primary 'character animation thread' ....

I suspect this configuration to be optimal for, next to no one ... and 'hurtful' to many .... so, to avoid hyperthreading, you can set the processor affinity, with task manager, get a program similar to ' process lasso ', or just use the affinity control available within a user.cfg file ... I'd recommend the user.cfg file anyway, seeing as you probably want to spread the loads out better across your actual cores anyway, so that the main thread 'stalls' less ....

you might get the impression I'm not a fan of hyperthreading ( SMT on AMD ), and that would not be incorrect ....

Edited by NARC BAIT, 05 June 2018 - 08:47 PM.

#11 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:00 AM

MWO and its "toxic community"...you guys are great <3

I can't help like our friendly and skilled experts except the little idea to check Windows indexing and 3rd party Antivirus application with Real time protection.

In some cases it helped me.

#12 Eagleking

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

Hey, issue solved, I allwas thought it is the GPU issue, but not. It was the CPU. The CPU was at 800MHz during play, propably because of temperatures.
I disassembled whole notebook, cleaned it, even changed thermal compound and now it works better, the FPS drops still appear, but not so drastic, now it is from 80 to 40 for a second.
So solution for all notebook users, clean your notebook, change old thermal compound and focus on Intel speed step or how is it called.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:57 PM

View PostEagleking, on 06 June 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

Hey, issue solved, I allwas thought it is the GPU issue, but not. It was the CPU. The CPU was at 800MHz during play, propably because of temperatures.
I disassembled whole notebook, cleaned it, even changed thermal compound and now it works better, the FPS drops still appear, but not so drastic, now it is from 80 to 40 for a second.
So solution for all notebook users, clean your notebook, change old thermal compound and focus on Intel speed step or how is it called.

Thank you for coming back and posting the resolution used.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users