37 replies to this topic

#1 Artanon

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

Good evening to all my fellow mech-pilots, both new and old. I am just posting this little thread to share my experiences and perhaps offer any new players with advice as the thread develops on any mechs that are New-player friendly and generally consistent performers.

Some back story is probably needed: I joined the game officially back on February 2017. I was a very new player to the Battletech and Mechwarrior Online universe. So there I was picking all sorts of mechs, mainly based upon the looks or what felt was doing decently in quick play. On average I was doing 200-350 damage per game on heavy Clan mechs - Timber Wolf, Mad Dog, Kodiak at the time. Now I will never say that is a decent performance, especially for me being a tier 5 player then (And now oddly enough but hopefully I will give you the differences between now and then).

Around November of 2017, the 27th I believe, I had one of these curious little pop ups - Faction play invasion, catching my eye. Now this was the first time I decided to take an interest in this, discovering I had to build a drop deck of 4x mechs within an tonnage limit of 245 tonnes at the time if memory serves. So there I was a fresh unaware fish from Quick-Play dropping into the world of faction play. Cataphract, Catapult and 2x Hunchbacks at the ready. Boy was I in for a shock. No idea did I have about optimized builds,

My first game? A game mode I had never played: Siege Assault, with two gates in to break through to attack the generators. All seemed easy enough to understand. And I noticed on my log-in menu I was being paired with some players I had never seen or heard of before. BCMC and EVIL players (This will be relevant for later).

Here were a group of players, who were communicating consistently using the comms, who were offering advice when asked as I made it clear that I had no idea what I should be doing. A Mr Merciless and Johnathan Tanner, plus Hobbles at the time made it clear that I should for if this was my first game, try to work on staying with team members, add my fire to the targets called out and try to stay alive. Teaching me the basics for faction play siege - Never reinforcing a damaged wave, stay outside the gates and group up with team-mates. Never fight and die or sacrifice yourself for someone else, just so they can pad damage meters.

Torso-twisting was also taught to me, thank you Lovas for spending the time with me teaching me this! Posted Image

All of this was excellent advice, and it all came about by myself doing the one thing I do not see new players or inexperienced players do in faction play -

COMMUNICATE.

One of the best aspects of any game, is communicating and working in a team-based situation. Even if you do not have a microphone, type something out. I can understand if members of other language bases do not feel comfortable or able to do so, but even just pinging the map gives your team mates and yourself a basis to work with you.

At the end of my first siege game? I still had 1 mech left, and commanded at the time a respectable (I thought) 1100 damage. It is then what happened that surprised me.

Because I was communicating with my colleagues - the team mates I was with. I was invited to join their Team-Speak or discord serves. And kept along for a following 6 games that night before I had to sleep. Each day there-after give or take, I would jump into the team-speak and as a unit-less individual be invited back to join them. Whether it was BCMC, EVIL, HHOD or other units that folks were associated with.

By asking questions, often with utter naivety to the members of these units, I was shown schematics and builds for different battle-mechs and omni-mechs. Learned a great deal about the lore and experienced tear-causing laughing conversations about all sorts of subjects.

And now? Months on, I was invited to join BCMC, which I eagerly accepted. I was able as well to bring my consistent damage per mech up to 500-1100 damage per mech in some cases. I do not fool myself that I am the best pilot, but what I have found is that listening and learning from more experienced players is a key to building your own success.

Speaking, communicating, typing and being a team player gets you places. I love every faction play game I drop with the unit I am in, due to the people that are there. The continued sharing of experience between team members of different units is a joy.

So if any newer players have questions or the like for faction play? Please feel free to ask below. I hope this has made for pleasant reading, and hopefully we will see you all on the battlefields.

As for my general thoughts about faction play? I love it. The team based competitive yet social nature of it may not be for everyone. But to make the best of it, always work as a team or in concert with other players. Never play as a solo-man army, as unfortunately you tend to get nuked by multiple enemy mechs.

Artanon - BCMC Thunderbolt Drop-Deck pilot, signing out.

Edited by Artanon, 11 May 2018 - 11:41 AM.

#2 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

Good post, would give reach around.

#3 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

Liked but instantly regreted it; these are the forums. More negativity please.

Also, Tanner is a wannabe. :)

#4 Artanon

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

Nothing wrong with having positivism towards the game we all know. Besides, if we can pass on information learned through our own rising to Faction play glory, then we can sow the seeds for more to join us. And have more close-fought games :P

#5 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:35 PM

View PostArtanon, on 11 May 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

Nothing wrong with having positivism towards the game we all know. Besides, if we can pass on information learned through our own rising to Faction play glory, then we can sow the seeds for more to join us. And have more close-fought games :P
That was well said. Also, you didn't dispute my point about Tanner. ;)

#6 Artanon

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:11 PM

Well look! I know you and Tanner have your moments of discussion and disagreement, but I would love to see you two 1 v 1 on private match to see who is the better pilot.

#7 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

View PostArtanon, on 11 May 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

Well look! I know you and Tanner have your moments of discussion and disagreement, but I would love to see you two 1 v 1 on private match to see who is the better pilot.
I like Tanner. I'm just poking fun based on another thread. Lol

#8 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

View Postccrider, on 11 May 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

Liked but instantly regreted it; these are the forums. More negativity please.

Also, Tanner is a wannabe. Posted Image

lol

#9 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

View PostArtanon, on 11 May 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

Good evening to all my fellow mech-pilots, both new and old. I am just posting this little thread to share my experiences and perhaps offer any new players with advice as the thread develops on any mechs that are New-player friendly and generally consistent performers.

Some back story is probably needed: I joined the game officially back on February 2017. I was a very new player to the Battletech and Mechwarrior Online universe. So there I was picking all sorts of mechs, mainly based upon the looks or what felt was doing decently in quick play. On average I was doing 200-350 damage per game on heavy Clan mechs - Timber Wolf, Mad Dog, Kodiak at the time. Now I will never say that is a decent performance, especially for me being a tier 5 player then (And now oddly enough but hopefully I will give you the differences between now and then).

Around November of 2017, the 27th I believe, I had one of these curious little pop ups - Faction play invasion, catching my eye. Now this was the first time I decided to take an interest in this, discovering I had to build a drop deck of 4x mechs within an tonnage limit of 245 tonnes at the time if memory serves. So there I was a fresh unaware fish from Quick-Play dropping into the world of faction play. Cataphract, Catapult and 2x Hunchbacks at the ready. Boy was I in for a shock. No idea did I have about optimized builds,

My first game? A game mode I had never played: Siege Assault, with two gates in to break through to attack the generators. All seemed easy enough to understand. And I noticed on my log-in menu I was being paired with some players I had never seen or heard of before. BCMC and EVIL players (This will be relevant for later).

Here were a group of players, who were communicating consistently using the comms, who were offering advice when asked as I made it clear that I had no idea what I should be doing. A Mr Merciless and Johnathan Tanner, plus Hobbles at the time made it clear that I should for if this was my first game, try to work on staying with team members, add my fire to the targets called out and try to stay alive. Teaching me the basics for faction play siege - Never reinforcing a damaged wave, stay outside the gates and group up with team-mates. Never fight and die or sacrifice yourself for someone else, just so they can pad damage meters.

Torso-twisting was also taught to me, thank you Lovas for spending the time with me teaching me this! Posted Image

All of this was excellent advice, and it all came about by myself doing the one thing I do not see new players or inexperienced players do in faction play -

COMMUNICATE.

One of the best aspects of any game, is communicating and working in a team-based situation. Even if you do not have a microphone, type something out. I can understand if members of other language bases do not feel comfortable or able to do so, but even just pinging the map gives your team mates and yourself a basis to work with you.

At the end of my first siege game? I still had 1 mech left, and commanded at the time a respectable (I thought) 1100 damage. It is then what happened that surprised me.

Because I was communicating with my colleagues - the team mates I was with. I was invited to join their Team-Speak or discord serves. And kept along for a following 6 games that night before I had to sleep. Each day there-after give or take, I would jump into the team-speak and as a unit-less individual be invited back to join them. Whether it was BCMC, EVIL, HHOD or other units that folks were associated with.

By asking questions, often with utter naivety to the members of these units, I was shown schematics and builds for different battle-mechs and omni-mechs. Learned a great deal about the lore and experienced tear-causing laughing conversations about all sorts of subjects.

And now? Months on, I was invited to join BCMC, which I eagerly accepted. I was able as well to bring my consistent damage per mech up to 500-1100 damage per mech in some cases. I do not fool myself that I am the best pilot, but what I have found is that listening and learning from more experienced players is a key to building your own success.

Speaking, communicating, typing and being a team player gets you places. I love every faction play game I drop with the unit I am in, due to the people that are there. The continued sharing of experience between team members of different units is a joy.

So if any newer players have questions or the like for faction play? Please feel free to ask below. I hope this has made for pleasant reading, and hopefully we will see you all on the battlefields.

As for my general thoughts about faction play? I love it. The team based competitive yet social nature of it may not be for everyone. But to make the best of it, always work as a team or in concert with other players. Never play as a solo-man army, as unfortunately you tend to get nuked by multiple enemy mechs.

Artanon - BCMC Thunderbolt Drop-Deck pilot, signing out.

I wish more players had your attitude

#10 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

View PostJon Gotham, on 11 May 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

I wish more players had your attitude

There are we are just hated for it.

Team work OP.

#11 Artanon

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

See, that is the thing though Jon Gotham. All it take's is just adjusting the mindset towards enjoying the game AS A GAME. You win some, you lose some. You fight, and sometime's you die. Play with friends, friends you discover and learn to trust. That is how games like this continue to grow. Developing the kind of friendships, rivalries and the kind of actions that form stories that last the years.

Consider EVE online for a moment. Imagine if we can have stories like that popping up between players, factions and units. What would I want from offering help?

Just other players being able to enjoy Faction Play for what it is: A team-work based unit-vs-unit locale, where the best players really do fight against one another. Making all of our skills grow through continued tempering and activity.

#12 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

Good one dude.

That is a clear case of improving your own experience by taking control of the situation and doing something about it.

I'll likely see you around the teamspeaks by the sound of it. I've been a bit MIA lately from the FP matches.
Always good to have another guy to drop with that will use the brain betwene the ears.

#13 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 11 May 2018 - 03:26 PM, said:

Good one dude.

That is a clear case of improving your own experience by taking control of the situation and doing something about it.

I'll likely see you around the teamspeaks by the sound of it. I've been a bit MIA lately from the FP matches.
Always good to have another guy to drop with that will use the brain betwene the ears.

Oh mate, please come by but only if you can get yourself as polluted as on stream yesterday....

Gold that was.

Could even be a quality ad for Foster's....

Edited by tker 669, 11 May 2018 - 05:53 PM.

#14 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

To the OP wish I had more experiences like yours.. FP like QP is a great game depending on group and day.

#15 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 11 May 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

To the OP wish I had more experiences like yours.. FP like QP is a great game depending on group and day.
jump into one of the TS servers and join a group; comstar, House Davion, or come by rodcbr1.teamspeak3.com and drop with my guys.

#16 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

View Postccrider, on 11 May 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

jump into one of the TS servers and join a group; comstar, House Davion, or come by rodcbr1.teamspeak3.com and drop with my guys.

Thank you sir. May take you up on that offer. I need positive drops in FP.

#17 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:54 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 11 May 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

Thank you sir. May take you up on that offer. I need positive drops in FP.

I can attest to cc being one of the gems and an absolute hoot to drop with.

Would like to plug A41 if you are ever IS as well.

#18 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

View Posttker 669, on 11 May 2018 - 03:52 PM, said:

Oh mate, please come by but only if you can get yourself as polluted as on stream yesterday....

Gold that was.

Could even be a quality ad for Foster's....

Lol I haven't been that whacked in a very long time.

#19 Artanon

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

For a second part of the help and advice to newer players. I will start with the Inner Sphere mechs I know (And Love for some reasons to be shown!) and will move onto the clan-side. I will do this by virtue of tonnage and differing mechs I find work quite well. Are easy to handle, simple enough to understand the principles of. And tend to achieve reasonable results: 350-750 Damage on average depending on mostly maps and situations you find yourself within.

The Warhammer 6-D - 70 Tonne Inner Sphere Battlemech.

Drop Deck suggested: 3x Warhammer 6-D's, and a Bushwacker of your choice / Assassin / 55 tonne or less mech.

Weaponry:

3x Large lasers in the left side torso. - These give mid range / long range poking ability, but also keep a threat as you approach targets for a mid-to-short range brawl.

4x Medium Lasers split across the right-torso and right-arm respectfully. - The weapons you should be firing on cool-down as often as you can, as much as heat allows you to. 20 Damage every 3 Seconds (When skilled) quickly adds up on lighter targets, and on heavier targets can make all the difference!

47 Point Alpha-Strike to a single location, assuming all lasers burn their full time.
Around 40% Heat generated by a full Alpha, close to 50% on hot maps or while unskilled in heat-management.

Armour / Engine / Equipment:

Head Armour - 15pts
Center Torso - 80 front, 8 Behind.
Side Torsos - 52 Front, 8 Behind
Legs - 50 out of 60 points of Armour
Arms - 44 Maximum on Both Arms
Light Fusion Engine 315
Move Speed - 72.9 ish KPH. A respectable speed for a Heavy.

9 Double Heat-Sinks - 2x in the Engine, the rest spread around the torsos and arms, with the left arm having 2x Double-Heat Sinks located within.

Ferro Fibrous Armour

Suggested Consumables:
2x Cool shots - Upgraded with the Consumable skill tree.
1x UAV or Artillery Strike / Air Strike

Suggested Skill tree:

Maxed out SURVIVAL except for AMS Overload
30-35 Points in the FIREPOWER Tree, focusing on Cooldown, Laser-Beam-Reduction, Heat Reduction / Range Increase
6-8 Points in Consumables to get the Upgraded Coolshots
Remainder of the points on OPERATIONS, Focusing on Cool-Running and heat-management.

Why would I recommend this I hear you asking? It must run so damned hot? Well yes, it can if you continue to consistently Alpha-Strike with all of your weapons. But the point of this mech and one that I so enjoy utilizing it for. Is its DURABILITY and SUSTAINED DAMAGE. The reason for this? It tanks damage especially when upgraded with the SURVIVAL tree. Using both of your arms, though focusing upon the Left Arm to take the hits. Generally you engage into most combat facing front on, Unload an Entire Alpha-strike of all weapons into the targets location of your choice, then Turn immediately RIGHT. Use your Left-Arm to take hits and shield your torso from incoming fire. This is what you call using your 'Zombie-Side' as I have heard it called often enough. Basically you are using your arms to maximum effect to take the hits for your torso, or to spread damage and not be taken out of the fight early.

Going with this method, will enable the Mech-Warrior to take hits from larger mechs and trade armor effectively with their opponents. While with smaller-opponents with the skill trees you have taken you are able to if need be face-tank the enemy mechs, though I do recommend using the torso-twisting method to allow for continued survivability.

Do not panic if you lose an arm, or even a entire side-torso. Most enemies do tend to ignore you when they see half of your weapons having been blown off. Use this to your advantage! Keep firing, keep moving and even try to shield for your allies. The Warhammer has exceptionally good durability for a Heavy of its tonnage.

Rotation for firing weapons:

Full Alpha - If at correct range of 300-400 meters.
Cooldown the weapons, At this moment Torso-Twist away to shield from returning fire from the opponent.
Full Alpha
Use 1x Coolshot if the situation demands or duck into cover / tank the hits like a boss! While waiting for weapons to cool-down
Full Alpha
Cooldown - Torso-Twist the opposite side if needed, use cover.

Rinse and repeat as you need to. Stagger-Fire your weapons aka only fire Medium Lasers if you are at a high % heat to avoid shutting-down. And when below 60% heat use those Large lasers.

I hope this helps as the first mech I would suggest, and if this proves help-full / popular leave a message down below and I will post more suggested mechs.

#20 Holy Jackson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

I had a very similar experience back in 2016 jumping in as a noob with Marik and playing with pilots that are... now in BCMC.

If anybody is new and reading this, find the TS servers for the groups that play faction, ask to drop with them, and just be humble and listen to the callers. Everybody wants you to have a good time, improve, and keep playing FP.

Even if you choose a group that loses more than it wins, it will still be 100 times better than solo dropping.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users