My Faction Play Experiences And Advice For New Players

General Gameplay

37 replies to this topic

#21 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:31 PM

View PostHoly Jackson, on 13 May 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

I had a very similar experience back in 2016 jumping in as a noob with Marik and playing with pilots that are... now in BCMC.

If anybody is new and reading this, find the TS servers for the groups that play faction, ask to drop with them, and just be humble and listen to the callers. Everybody wants you to have a good time, improve, and keep playing FP.

Even if you choose a group that loses more than it wins, it will still be 100 times better than solo dropping.

I have not joined a unit that plays FP. We get some drops in QP casually. Would be hoot doing FP as a group.

#22 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 13 May 2018 - 06:31 PM, said:

Would be hoot doing FP as a group.

It is.

Ts address: rodcbr1.teamspeak3.com:5655 Go see these guys. Alot of them are clan right now to.

#23 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

View PostJohnathan Tanner, on 13 May 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

It is.

Ts address: rodcbr1.teamspeak3.com:5655 Go see these guys. Alot of them are clan right now to.

Thank you.

#24 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:16 PM

To add to what Artanon posted about the WHM-6D deck, I just wanna add that regardless of map or game mode, a deck like that should be the default for most players. 3 fast heavies + a medium, all moving at around the same speed, is ideal. Direct fire weapons with a decent range (400-600 meters) should be your bread and butter. Doing brawler builds with SRM's can be fun, but those are more specialized, and usually don't work unless your entire team is doing it. No, doing a general, all-purpose deck that can skirmish at mid range with decent mechs in all 3 drops is the best way to go.

You can also use the 3 WHM + BSW deck as a base for making modifications. My current go-to deck is an ANH, 2 WHM, and a CMD. Gives me an assault mech with serious firepower, and a scouty-brawly mech, along with a solid core from the two warhammers. Using assault mechs in FP is a bit more difficult, so I definitely suggest starting out with a more balanced deck.

#25 Artanon

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

Thank you very much Eisenhorne, Tanner and others who are contributing to the postings so far! If folks wish to post builds for suitable mechs alongside those I put here please feel free. Just try to use a similar format, and a rough idea of the tactics with such a mech.

#26 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

RGH-3A: 3LL 4 ERML

Loadout
Skill Tree (Don't recall exactly what I have, and this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it works for all of my vom builds)

Cheap, 5/7 high mounts (cockpit level), skill tree armor nodes gives assault level armor, decently fast, fun to use

Edited by McGoat, 14 May 2018 - 08:56 AM.

#27 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

Adding to the WHM-6D you posted, I present:

Warhammer WHM-6R "Gausshammer"

A staple build for many of my drop decks. Works great in both hot and cold maps. Some basic stats (skilled):

Engine: LFE280
Speed: ~69.6 KPH
Armament: 2 Gauss Rifles (60 rounds), 4 ER Medium Lasers
Consumables: 2 Cool Shots, 2 Air Strikes
Optimal Engagement Range - 300-500 meters
Max Engagement Range - ~800 meters

Full Loadout
My Skill Tree

I sunk a lot of points into mobility because this build really gets a lot from poking around corners and hitting enemies, then fading back. it can torso twist like a monster, spreading damage all over itself. I usually survive down to ~30% in one of these.

Ideally, you want to "peek and fire" at enemies. Begin precharging the gauss before you expose yourself from behind cover, poke out, fire the gauss, immediately followed by the lasers, then duck back into cover. You should only be exposed for like 1 second, max. You can peek over ridges, but be careful you're not exposing yourself to an entire enemy team. Ideally, you wan to expose the top half of your mech only to 1-2 enemies, fire, then get back into cover.

Suggested Drop Deck Configurations

3x WHM-6R + BSW-X1 - All ballistics. Exceptionally good on hot maps. Great all purpose deck, very similar to Artanon's suggested deck with the WHM-6D, but significantly better if the map is too hot for laser vomit mechs. I use it for all game modes, but it's really best for Siege Defense, Skirmish, Domination, Incursion, and Assault. For Siege Attack and Conquest, you probably want something that is easier to brawl with to start, though a Gausshammer is supremely deadly in close combat if you get used to it. It's just harder to do.

1x ANH-2A (6 AC2), 2x WHM-6R, COM - My favorite deck right now. The ANH has serious ranged firepower, and is good at any map or mode, though again, probably not a good choices for Siege Attack or Conquest, unless you -really- know the map and know what to do.

WHM-6R, WHM-6D, WHM-7S, BSW - "Rainbow" deck. If you don't have (or want to have) duplicates of a mech, you can just take 1 of each warhammer plus a bushwacker, and build a decent mid-range all purpose deck. The 7S is probably the weakest, but that doesn't mean it's bad. The others are just that much stronger. I like my WHM-7S with 2x MRM40's, but that's personal preference. SRM/MPL builds work on it too.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 14 May 2018 - 12:34 PM.

#28 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

Evil version of communication

1) -silence-
2) c*ka b*lyat !!!
3) b*lyat lurms !!!
4) polar map -> NARC?LURM?! DADADA!?!?! DADADA!!!
5) laughing at people geting narced and lurmed by assualt
6) getting narced by the enemy. RIP tell my wife about my war stories !!!
7) c*ka b*lyat !!!
8) b*lyat lurms !!!
9) laughining at hackusation.
10) -silence-

bonus communication: drunk aussie dropping in the TS get the english version of cursing.

Edited by Palfatreos, 14 May 2018 - 01:40 PM.

#29 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

Was able to link up with CCRider for 3 FP games raised over 2.1 million C-Bills in 3 games. So of the best play I have had in FP.

#30 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:07 PM

I've been playing just as long and still no one has taught me anything...

#31 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

View PostPalfatreos, on 14 May 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

Evil version of communication

1) -silence-
2) c*ka b*lyat !!!
3) b*lyat lurms !!!
4) polar map -> NARC?LURM?! DADADA!?!?! DADADA!!!
5) laughing at people geting narced and lurmed by assualt
6) getting narced by the enemy. RIP tell my wife about my war stories !!!
7) c*ka b*lyat !!!
8) b*lyat lurms !!!
9) laughining at hackusation.
10) -silence-

bonus communication: drunk aussie dropping in the TS get the english version of cursing.

lol Posted Image

#32 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:25 AM

View PostBowelhacker, on 15 May 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

We found Artanon as a random pug barely holding his own.. And he asked for help. He listened. He kept coming back. The only person truly looking out for you as a puggle is yourself; people might offer advice but until you show the commitment to improvement why should anyone care when they've tried it 100xs over with 100 different solo players? Even we in EVIL will help when asked, despite our best intentions to break CW.

Edited by McGoat, 16 May 2018 - 07:26 AM.

#33 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:54 AM

View PostMcGoat, on 16 May 2018 - 07:25 AM, said:

We found Artanon as a random pug barely holding his own.. And he asked for help. He listened. He kept coming back. The only person truly looking out for you as a puggle is yourself; people might offer advice but until you show the commitment to improvement why should anyone care when they've tried it 100xs over with 100 different solo players? Even we in EVIL will help when asked, despite our best intentions to break CW.
It's true; these guys will call on VOIP, share build advice and are good dudes to learn from. Ask questions, get advice, prosper.

#34 r4zen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

this thread made me miss you guys more than I usually do. I'm gonna find time to drop this week.

#35 Artanon

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

Thank you McGoat and R4zen. Always good to see more folks coming on back, and offering their points of view / historical information back from my early days :P

#36 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:12 PM

View PostBowelhacker, on 15 May 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

Unbelievable!

Did you even ask?

You know...you have to ask if you want something... :)

#37 Artanon

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

The best way to learn, regardless of the faction you are part of. If you are part of a group or playing solo. Is come along to players like 85% of the player-base and ask us. Be it in game, or send us a message and we can speak on discord, teamspeak and the like.

Communication is always key in developing ones skills, as is a willingness to admit you have room for improvement.

Note:

Orion - IS Build and Orion IIC - Clan Brawler builds respectively will be incoming. They are best used en-mass and as part of teams. But both highly fun!

Edited by Artanon, 07 June 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#38 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:02 PM

I will be looking for a Clan Unit that would be willing to give me their team speak and allow me to drop with them in FP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users