Balance BattleMechs

23 replies to this topic

#1 Paladin33

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:32 PM

More i play to mechwarrior online and more i play light mech/ medium mech.

it's impossible to stay alive a long time in heavy mech. You are quickly targeted because you are slow and you die fast.
Heavy mech and assault mech got a riddiculous armor, and if we look a light mech as a commando, you can stay alive a very longtime and take lot of damage because you run very fast.
Damage are spare on the different part of armor.

Actually, in my heavy mech, in 2 or 3 hit most of time i get a yellow torso and i got a breach in my hull. That make absolutly assault mech useless. i tryed to up my skill in survival but that change really nothing...
The most riddiculous assault mech are kodiac and dire wolf. They die like poor ****.

And most of time, the heavy weapon don't do rather damage... PPC use lot of energy for doing low damage... if we compare to a er large laser, laser are really better.

For me, the armor of assault mech and heavy mech must have 50-70% of more armor than actually.

Mechwarrior online make big mech useless and push player to play a light mech.

There is a long time i think that, and i never write this topic before i played to the last battletech game... and this game make me fell i say true. Assault mech are very huge. and it's logical.

Edited by Paladin33, 11 May 2018 - 11:35 PM.

#2 vibrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 209 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:49 PM

If I may ask, what tier are you? I played lights a lot when i was tier 5-4, but the higher up I went, the more competitive and better-skilled the players, the harder it is to stay alive as a light. As often as I had a great game in a light, I'd just as often die with a double-digit damage score.

Given that for many lights, one good alpha from an assault (and often a heavy) will kill you, at tier 2 (and tier 1 too) assaults don't need any bigger benefit over lights.

Also bear in mind how hard it is to balance for two ends of player skill - LRMs are famously great at tier 5 where people aren't so skilled at countering them, and up until the recent velocity buff were rarely seen in tiers 1-2 because they simply weren't very effective.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:44 AM

Wait, someone talks about the game being unbalanced cause Lights and Mediums seem to be better than Heavies? Are we living in a different world? Lights and Mediums have to be that small cause this is an FPS game and it is very easy to kill them otherwise.

View PostPaladin33, on 11 May 2018 - 11:32 PM, said:

Then how do you explain the fact that Light queue has always the lowest % of players?

Edited by El Bandito, 12 May 2018 - 12:51 AM.

#4 Nema Nabojiv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:01 AM

For me, the armor of assault mech and heavy mech must have 50-70% of more armor than actually.

Nay, you just need to git gud. In due time you probably will.

#5 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:15 AM

Keep seeing pilots saying this, yet they never seem to switch over to the "super easy and incredibly survivable" lights. Why play all those weak, slow heavy and assault mechs when you can play those easy mode lights and get all those wins and easy Cbills?

Oh yeah, because you can't put up any numbers in a light mech either. :P

#6 Red Corsair NH

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:27 AM

Thats not a problem of heavy/assault mechs. Learn to facetank less, torsotwisting, maneuver, proper use of covers.

#7 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:10 AM

it's impossible to stay alive a long time in heavy mech. You are quickly targeted because you are slow and you die fast.
Heavy mech and assault mech got a riddiculous armor, and if we look a light mech as a commando, you can stay alive a very longtime and take lot of damage because you run very fast.

Actually, in my heavy mech, in 2 or 3 hit most of time i get a yellow torso and i got a breach in my hull. That make absolutly assault mech useless. i tryed to up my skill in survival but that change really nothing...
The most riddiculous assault mech are kodiac and dire wolf. They die like poor ****.

And most of time, the heavy weapon don't do rather damage... PPC use lot of energy for doing low damage... if we compare to a er large laser, laser are really better.

There is a long time i think that, and i never write this topic before i played to the last battletech game... and this game make me fell i say true. Assault mech are very huge. and it's logical.

I would not say your right go buy a MadcatMK2 with twin gauss its fast for a assault hits hard and takes decent damage.
Its the same with some heavy mechs as well like the sun spider and Thanatos hopefully they don't get the nerf bat.

#8 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:28 AM

A matter of return on investment? Assaults can deal a huge amount of damage quickly and light deal damage a lot slower?

Run around for 12 minutes and get 600 damage or do 600 damage in 5; and, then add whatever you are capable of in the remaining 7 minutes? I don't like assaults: too slow. Lights are not easy to use effectively. But, in the right hands, they can be ! That leaves the two weight classes in the middle to find your optimal weight class....

#9 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:32 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 12 May 2018 - 12:44 AM, said:

Wait, someone talks about the game being unbalanced cause Lights and Mediums seem to be better than Heavies? Are we living in a different world? Lights and Mediums have to be that small cause this is an FPS game and it is very easy to kill them otherwise.

Then how do you explain the fact that Light queue has always the lowest % of players?

You cant shoot lrm with light mechs :]

And I feel this way also, if I want to do good I'll just play a light because that way you can decide when to do damage and decide when to solo the enemy team Posted Image, with anything slower than <81kph (so hellbringers for example are still OK in my book) you have no control over winning the game as enemies can just pile on you

#10 QuePan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 109 posts
  • Locationcapital district NY

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:24 AM

i must disagree with the op , heavy is one of the strongest classes to run it has good balance of firepower and speed , you just need to know how to position , Assaults are trickier to get to a position , if you read the match wrong your penalized alot harder due too not being able to re position quickly enough

my personally 2 best classes of mech are mediums and heavies , due to there ability to easily re position . while im a decent light pilot and have fun in them i have more success in the other two

#11 Shadilay

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:33 AM

I oneshot so many light mechs with 24ATM that i never actually want to play a light mech. The one thing I hate about MWO is how short the games are because of how fast you die.

Im moving away from short range weapons for that same reason, its 2 minutes to start a match, 2 minutes of running and hiding behind cover, 1 minute of playing at the very most, 2 minutes to start the next match, 2 minutes of running and hiding behind cover, 1 minute of playing. At least with long range weapons I can add 1 minute of playtime. Possibly another 1 minute in a heavy/assault.

In fact, the tiny amount of playing compared to waiting for the game to start and running around is the reason I keep leaving this game for one or two years and then coming back to it for a week or so, if the games would last longer than a minute, I would play this game all year round. I just had my fill for a week and will come back in 2019 or 2020, maybe games will last longer then. I played one week in 2013, one week in 2015, now one week, same thing I hate about the game is unchanged.

Its pretty much call of duty in a robot but you dont get to respawn, you die or kill just as fast but you need to restart a new game every time, 85% waiting for a game to start and 15% playing the game is bad, I could deal with 50/50 or something.

I would love this game if they would double HP & Armor on all mechs, now it's "oh **** I should not have peeked around this corner, i'm dead now, next match"

The one problem this game has is TTK, it's too fast for a 12v12 match, if you peek around the wrong corner for a split second, six people are punching your nose and your match is done, doesn't matter if you're in a 30T or a 100T mech. Perhaps higher tier matches aren't like this but I can't be arsed to get to higher tier with these 35 second games, lose interest within a week.

Edited by Shadilay, 12 May 2018 - 10:46 AM.

#12 Ante Mortem

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:37 AM

I agree with you. I used to dominate running my assaults...now I get smashed by lights all the time...I'm Tier 2 but I should be Tier 3-4, how can I go back to this tier?

#13 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:25 PM

Lights and mediums can disengage easier. That's why they seem easy. With heavies, and more so assaults, you have to know when to commit and where. Because you probably won't be able to pull out of the fight if you're wrong. That's why people recommend mediums and mid range heavies. They have the best ratio of armor and mobility to keep newbies alive. Allowing them to learn how to position better and when to commit.

Also in the lower tiers people aren't as acclimated to the game yet. So lights get away with a lot more. Once you get higher tier you'll find more people hitting lights and in some cases outright crippling them in one alpha. Someone calls Piranha and everyone turn around and annihilates the little bugger.

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostAnte Mortem, on 18 April 2019 - 11:37 AM, said:

I'm Tier 2 but I should be Tier 3-4, how can I go back to this tier?

You can't. I'm buried in T1 and have been for a couple of years. I had a 32 game loss streak at one point; bar didn't go 1 pixel off of full. Going backward would appear to be nearly impossible.

#15 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:47 PM

Ummm I stay alive longer in my Medium mechs than any other mech I own. They are a support mech not face tankers and not back stabbers. They are meant to compliment the Assaults on your team. Basically its like giving the Assaults additional weapons if you target the same mechs they are firing at and you can protect their backs from Lights so like giving your Assaults eyes in the back of their heads.

#16 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:14 AM

I agree with OP on some points.

It seems to me that lights and fast mediums would be ok.. IF the damage that is shot at them actually registered.

Sometimes, I can take down an Annihilator alot quicker than saaaay, an Urbanmech, or an Assassin, using the same mech..

And that's wrong.

I don't mind lights being fast.. but I do mind when I pump their CT full of lead and the damage doesn't register, and then they just walk around me and kill my assault with 3 SRM2.. that's just bonkers..

#17 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:25 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 19 April 2019 - 01:14 AM, said:

It seems to me that lights and fast mediums would be ok.. IF the damage that is shot at them actually registered.

Sometimes, I can take down an Annihilator alot quicker than saaaay, an Urbanmech, or an Assassin, using the same mech..

And that's wrong.

I don't mind lights being fast.. but I do mind when I pump their CT full of lead and the damage doesn't register, and then they just walk around me and kill my assault with 3 SRM2.. that's just bonkers..

i think what's going on is that most people don't consider how much of an impact small hitboxes and speed have on a mech's ability to mitigate damage. a shot aimed at the CT, for example, can easily hit any other component or miss altogether if your aim is just slightly off. add armor/structure quirks into the mix and this effect becomes even more pronounced (or gives the impression that shots simply aren't registering properly).

this isn't to say that there are absolutely no hitreg problems ever, but i don't think they're anywhere near as prevalent as people like to claim.

#18 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:38 AM

Just find what works for you.
Right now the sweet spot is heavy mediums (55ton) and light heavies (60-65ton) mostly due to the running game.
Lights ARE dangerous yes but they are fragile.
Yes Assaults ARE dangerous but get lost in a running game or low coordination match.

#19 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:45 AM

I think this thread now checks out all the boxes ...

Lights OP ... check
Lots of other ridiculous BS ... check
MyLurmzDon'tRegisterOnLights ... check
Year old necro ... check

#20 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:00 AM

Please don't take it personal but I really question the merit of what you say when you play 0-sub 15 matches per season with abominable stats in them. If they were so easy and op, why weren't you able to rake up kills and matchscore like mad?

Light mechs are usually played by the diehards because they are not forgiving mechs - you need to know when to attack, whom to attack (hey, a streak boat? Bad luck), need to know how to get out if the enemy gets lrm support (usually he gets it) and so on.

The point is: I bet that each of those pilots would have splattered you and your mech regardless of the mech class he was piloting.
And as a special service from a light mech pilot:

Posted Image

View PostVellron2005, on 19 April 2019 - 01:14 AM, said:

And that's wrong.

Maybe you should move from behind your rock and try to get some locks yourself and watch were your lrms impact then you would see that they register and some hit obsctacles etc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users