Matchmaking Is Horrible

161 replies to this topic

#1 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

Is there any way to get PSR fixed without forming an angry mob w/torches and pitchforks?

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

Nope.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:09 PM

View PostExilyth, on 12 May 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

Is there any way to get PSR fixed without forming an angry mob w/torches and pitchforks?

At this point I can only recommend bugging Russ on Twitter. At least ask for a soft reset every 4 months or so.

#4 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:10 PM

Plenty of PSR formula changes PGI can refer to in the forums. Answer will likely be no.

#5 0Jiggs0

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:18 PM

Basing PSR progress on the player's contribution to the team's cumulative Match Score would be one way to do it. High contributors move up, and low contributors move down.

Would the players who drop to lower tiers complain to Russ about the new system being unfair? Absolutely.

(Completely unrelated statement: Better matching would provide better metrics for future balance changes.)

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:19 PM

View Post0Jiggs0, on 12 May 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

Basing PSR progress on the player's contribution to the team's cumulative Match Score would be one way to do it. High contributors move up, and low contributors move down.

Except that shafts Lights and Medium pilots.

#7 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 12 May 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

Except that shafts Lights and Medium pilots.

Which means you'd have to re-work the weight of different Match Score factors but that's as unlikely to happen as an overhaul of the PSR, lol.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:04 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 12 May 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

At this point I can only recommend bugging Russ on Twitter. At least ask for a soft reset every 4 months or so.

This, either every 4 or 6 months while reworking PSR so the PSR movement thresholds are not static,, or rework the static thresholds to reduce the upper movement bias. Even on a win if your MS is x amount you can still have a negative PSR movement instead of breaking even. Of course there would those players who are still in Tier 4-5 with an average MS of 180 or less w/higher loss rate than win rate, while primarily piloting assaults/heavies who then complain about the "broken PSR/MM" and that PSR is broken since they see barely any movement.

#9 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:51 AM

View Postmistlynx4life, on 12 May 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

Which means you'd have to re-work the weight of different Match Score factors but that's as unlikely to happen as an overhaul of the PSR, lol.

They have been due for this from the start. The Matchmaker is bad because PSR is bad because match score is bad. The game needs to assign CBills and match score in a logical fashion that reflects their value in achieving victory, and the systems we have in place do no do this. A simple example is AMS. It rewards match score (great) because it helps your team win, but it pays nothing in exp or cbills (bad). I love the rewards that they do have like flanking brawling and protected but they seem to be focused on mediums, making them more tolerable to bring to a game, but how do they balance lights? As it stands you have to carry very hard to get a 500 in a light...

#10 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

View PostCloves, on 21 May 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

They have been due for this from the start. The Matchmaker is bad because PSR is bad because match score is bad. The game needs to assign CBills and match score in a logical fashion that reflects their value in achieving victory, and the systems we have in place do no do this. A simple example is AMS. It rewards match score (great) because it helps your team win, but it pays nothing in exp or cbills (bad). I love the rewards that they do have like flanking brawling and protected but they seem to be focused on mediums, making them more tolerable to bring to a game, but how do they balance lights? As it stands you have to carry very hard to get a 500 in a light...

In before someone says how easy it is for Lights to get amazing match scores with a Wolfhound or MLX-G or something! ;)

Yeah, I agree. The whole thing is a mess and I just don't know that they're willing to fix it.

#11 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

View Postmistlynx4life, on 21 May 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

Yeah, I agree. The whole thing is a mess and I just don't know that they're willing to fix it.

In fairness they have tried a few things to fix it, but what is left I am guessing they can't fix, such has taking builds into account or group sizes into account. The QP Queue is better than it was, GP Queue still leaves a lot to be desired.

#12 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

Hard fought balanced fights going back and forth are rare nowadays.

One match your team just rolls over the enemy, the next the enemy team just rolls over yours.
It's impossible to improve since the only thing you can learn from such 3 minute matches is to predict a win or a loss.

#13 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

View PostExilyth, on 21 May 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

Hard fought balanced fights going back and forth are rare nowadays.

One match your team just rolls over the enemy, the next the enemy team just rolls over yours.
It's impossible to improve since the only thing you can learn from such 3 minute matches is to predict a win or a loss.

That's why I can really only stand playing Solaris nowdays. At least you have a consistent measuring stick there of your own performance.

#14 Cnaiur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:17 PM

View PostCloves, on 21 May 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

Match score isn’t perfect, but it’s not terrible and works adequately as a rough and ready measurement. In almost every case, somebody with an average MS over 400 will have a W/L well over 1. Somebody with an average MS under 200 will typically be significantly under 1 for W/L. Yeah, there are confounding factors like solo and group queue being lumped together, lurmboats and triple AMS boats, etc. But it works well enough in that doing lots of damage and killing people is the primary driver of MS and is also the primary driver of wins.

The problem is the Match Maker doesn’t seem to care about MS; it cares about PSR, which is how you wind up with games where THREE top 0.1% players (by match score) wind up on the same team in solo queue. Hey, they’re T1, and the other team had the same number of T1 players, fair match, right?

#15 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:22 PM

We have this discussion at least twice a month. NO, PGI can't fix MM. They don't have the time or the money to fix it OR, they would have already.

PGI has one focus: MW5. It's where all the cookies are stored. You'all better hope it works cause they isn't a plan "C".....

#16 ZippySpeedMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 356 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dropship Earth

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

Matchmaking is fine.

Stomps happen.

Get used to it.

Think of it as a way to tell you that you're not the greatest mech jockey the game has ever seen.

#17 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

View PostZippySpeedMonkey, on 21 May 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

Matchmaking is fine.

Stomps happen.

Get used to it.

Think of it as a way to tell you that you're not the greatest mech jockey the game has ever seen.

matchmaking is not fine.

no player, as good as he might be, can carry for an entire incompetent team.

stomp shouldn't happen.

#18 Mr_Breaker

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:43 PM

Agreed

#19 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

View PostMrXanthios, on 21 May 2018 - 06:23 PM, said:

matchmaking is not fine.

no player, as good as he might be, can carry for an entire incompetent team.

stomp shouldn't happen.

Stomps should happen, even with two perfectly balanced teams. Its due to the snowballing mechanics of this game, once one side loses 1-2 pilots, the numerical/tonnage advantage will create a snowball effect. You see stomps happen in comp play as well, same reason.

#20 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:24 PM

View Postmistlynx4life, on 21 May 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

In before someone says how easy it is for Lights to get amazing match scores with a Wolfhound or MLX-G or something! Posted Image

How about an Urbanmech R63?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/264098850

Check out my match with Chaotic Harmony on Caustic Valley at 6:00 on to 13:42 with the match results. Due note that isn't uncommon as I have gone far higher in score and damage.

It really comes down to builds on the lights and how they fight, but if there is a weight multiplier for score (as I do believe there is one) it needs to but upped just a bit.

Edited by Shadowomega1, 21 May 2018 - 10:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users