Noticed New Players In Fp?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

I played few games now dropping solo and in both teams there were quite many new players. That's curious specially considering there's no event going on. Checked few and they got less than 100 games in QP, totally fresh players.

#2 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

There are a lot more clanner pugs out there at least?

#3 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

FP is way more interesting than QP and if your team wins , super profitable . New guy has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

#4 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:13 PM

I am noticing it a lot.

Not just new players, but seemingly completely new to the game players.

Trial mech usage is up across the board, but also feels a touch heavier on IS side which is unfortunate since the ones they rotated in are from three years ago and they are terrible.

It has been especially entertaining when random new guy takes command and starts ordering around a 10 man of BCMC and Evil guys.

#5 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

I too jumped into FP the same day I joined . What's the problem exactly ?

#6 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:48 PM

I wish there was more of them: I've been sat in "searching" for 20 minutes now and its sapping my will to continue.

I vehemently hate solo QP and can only stand Group Que with a core of fun players (they don't need to be good, just up for a larf), I wish this game was more mainstream and able to draw the big player numbers... I really do.

#7 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

Could've been Battletech enthusiasts looking for a mechwarrior version of their new favourite big stompy mecha game?

~Leone

#8 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

View PostLeone, on 13 May 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

Could've been Battletech enthusiasts looking for a mechwarrior version of their new favourite big stompy mecha game?

~Leone

I hope not. I would hate for those guys to see the dumpster fire that CW has degenerated into.

#9 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

View PostPain G0D, on 13 May 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

The biggest problem is that people who do 200-300 damage with 4 mechs are basically little more than armor for the better players, not really suited to do anything except walk point and take the first bullet. That said, If they had some sort of matchmaker to ensure both teams had the same number of new players, then it would probably be fine.

#10 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:12 PM

Is this supposed to be a serious question?

I mean, there's even a warning when you first click to drop in CW.

Do you really not get why someone brand new doesn't belong in a highly team focused mode with no matchmaker?

You must be trolling, if not then there is very little that could be done to help you understand...

#11 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

Same for me. Best way to leran is to play. The other modes will only teach bad habits that would have to be unlearned.

View Posttker 669, on 13 May 2018 - 08:12 PM, said:

Is this supposed to be a serious question?

I mean, there's even a warning when you first click to drop in CW.

Do you really not get why someone brand new doesn't belong in a highly team focused mode with no matchmaker?

You must be trolling, if not then there is very little that could be done to help you understand...

I dont think he is. It makes complete sense to me.

#12 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:31 PM

View PostJohnathan Tanner, on 13 May 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

Same for me. Best way to leran is to play. The other modes will only teach bad habits that would have to be unlearned.

I dont think he is. It makes complete sense to me.

I don't get it.

I tried, got face kicked in.

Went back to quick play for a bit to learn more where there is a matchmaker.

Then joined HHoD to learn more from experienced players and have better shot at winning as a proper team.

That made sense to me.

Different times too...one bucket you know. Fton less folks.

Pugs really (outside of maybe Yondu) don't seem to ever be learning anything. Remember earlier? I was thrilled cause a puggie (think like peggies from FarCry) said drop heaviest to lightest....

#13 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:44 PM

View PostPain G0D, on 13 May 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

FP is way more interesting than QP and if your team wins , super profitable . New guy has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

keep playing you will figure it out

#14 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:11 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 13 May 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

The biggest problem is that people who do 200-300 damage with 4 mechs are basically little more than armor for the better players, not really suited to do anything except walk point and take the first bullet. That said, If they had some sort of matchmaker to ensure both teams had the same number of new players, then it would probably be fine.

Yes that was me in a nutshell . I was an FTP for a long time . Took me forever to become less of a leech feeding off the sweet sweet teats of vets winning. I jumped between qp and fp as I felt like it and if i wanted to buy a mech i played a good lot of fp . I felt no guilt .

As i pointed out i had nothing to lose by jumping into an FP . Even if i lost , my reputation still goes up a little and you are rewarded for ranking up . FP matches can also be lots more fun .
If the Vets in their pumped up cheesy mechs were winning , I made lots of cash and rank even if i felt and was useless . Newbie players like and need cbills. . That warning does not work but on the other hand you cannot force the new kid to only play QP just because its convenient to older players . This game has too few modes . Its nice to pick a house or clan even if you own only one mech and need trial mechs to fill up .

This is the point of creating group que,s . You can pick dudes you know that play seriously , and improve your winning chances . You know you helpful to your team when people are picking you to join them .

View Posttker 669, on 13 May 2018 - 08:12 PM, said:

Dont get all holy than thou , you hypocrite .

I do not believe for one second that you or any other new player has the self discipline to stay in QP until you have a good enough set of mechs . Posted Image
I also believe that even vet FP players will sneak in a unskilled mech or two from time to time . Thats free XP . Posted Image

Edited by Pain G0D, 13 May 2018 - 10:17 PM.

#15 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:03 AM

Same here. Saw a couple of new players in FP yesterday.

And with "new" i mean really bloody fresh :D

(Unfortunately on our side...) I'm happy, new players are good for everyone, but dont waste them too fast in CW ;)

Me too is thinking, Battletech game gave a boost for MWO - They are a very good mix of a franchise and i enjoy the action with my friends in MWO and the chill phase in the evening in BT. (I advertise MWO in BT MP as good as i can - already with sucess)

ALWAYS REMEMBER GUYS to be friendly to beginners, be constructive, productive, invite them, help them, dont flame them, give them fun so we get fun later.

#16 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:01 AM

I skill all my new robots in FP.

That's it, nothing humorous or anything to add. I figured everyone did.

Ain't changing habits now either. :P

#17 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:18 AM

View Postccrider, on 14 May 2018 - 07:01 AM, said:

I skill all my new robots in FP.

That's it, nothing humorous or anything to add. I figured everyone did.

Ain't changing habits now either. Posted Image

Yea, I skill my mechs up in there too, but there's a huge difference between taking good builds that you know how to use, that just happen to be unskilled, vs being a new player taking new mechs that they don't know how to play.

GG's last night though ccrider, I think I got you guys a few times while I was solo pugging.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 14 May 2018 - 07:19 AM.

#18 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 14 May 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

Yea, I skill my mechs up in there too, but there's a huge difference between taking good builds that you know how to use, that just happen to be unskilled, vs being a new player taking new mechs that they don't know how to play.

GG's last night though ccrider, I think I got you guys a few times while I was solo pugging.
yeah, you got us on caustic, we couldn't get people to push out of the center. We got you on vitric when we rushed linebackers and hit the rear of that wall of assaults. I was starting to take it personally when you kept shooting my robots. I only run 4 rear armor; be gentle back there. Lol

Good matches though, we'll fought and good sportsmanship. o7

#19 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostPain G0D, on 13 May 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

Dont get all holy than thou , you hypocrite .

I do not believe for one second that you or any other new player has the self discipline to stay in QP until you have a good enough set of mechs . Posted Image
I also believe that even vet FP players will sneak in a unskilled mech or two from time to time . Thats free XP . Posted Image

Ok, I am going to do my utmost to steer this conversation into a positive direction. Don't like being called a hypocrite or liar though. Instead of get mad I will try and be more clear, because perhaps I fobbled along the way.

First my path along the way to CW, well at least the beginning is actually documented. Both in screen shots and because HHoD actually has a website and records of applications to the unit and members archive. Eisenhorne (someone I know from HHoD) a current member could validate this if you are still doubtful and I of coarse also have tons of screenshots from that time as well, playing CW with HHoD.

Like I said, when I was new I tried CW and got wrecked. Stayed away and tried to get better in quick play and while there found out about HHoD. When I joined HHoD I was tier 3.

My point is that I went looking at ways to do CW successfully. I also watched youtube videos and streamers to learn. Joining a unit that actually has people who volunteer to train people in the basics makes a huge difference. Being around experienced CW players, being able to ask their advice, see their positioning, learn basic team tactics, learn how to communicate effectively on comms... again my point is that these things make a huge difference. And of coarse, just being a part of an organised team is huge.

There is a very strong chance that you and I are not that far apart in actual skill. However if you were to compare our stats from Jarl's list to CW leaderboards there is a pronounced difference. I submit this is not because I am super talented. My opinion here is that I followed a much easier path than you did and it is information and experience that likely separate us by such a large margin.

Oh and unskilled mechs, yup I will do it. Should a newer player do it, or did I when I was new? Absolutely not. I used to exclusively use quickplay for getting modules and mastering mechs. Worth note as well in the differences in our path is perhaps that I also bought a lot of mastery bundles, and mech packs when I joined HHoD to get a boost instead of grinding out cbills to get mechs.

This is just my advice and I think I make a decent case. There are folks of coarse that do it all on their own, and perhaps it is fun for them. A great deal of those folks seem to get mad when they are spawn camped and are not even on the field long enough to learn a thing though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users