Blood Asp Performance

91 replies to this topic

#1 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

I like it. I'm uncertain if it's better than the Madcat Mk II due to a person having to deal with locked equipment. The High mounts are really great though, and the ECM is kinda nice for polar highlands which is perma voted for during weekends and events. The standard pack omnipods are pretty generous too.

I tried the B variant out with stock 8/8 omnipods for the ballistic quirk bonus and crammed an LBX 20, 4 medium pulse, and 2 A+SRM 6 into it with ECM and it barely all fit. I think the Scorch does a better job of brawling but even still, it worked okay for me on Canyon Network. I think overall it's a solid mech so far. What are everyone else's thoughts on it?

Edit - spent some more time in it. The hill climb issue is real. I'm not sure what is up but an unskilled Madcat Mk II handles Canyon Network channels for climbing up a lot better than the Blood Asp. Also, the sad fact is that the Madcat Mk II simply has a better front target profile over the Blood Asp while retaining hardpoint placement that is pretty high.

I don't think the Blood Asp will be buffed further. Like it or not, I think the Mark II will not escape a nerf or two next patch cycle.

Edited by FireStoat, 15 May 2018 - 03:51 PM.

#2 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

It's taller, wider, thicker, and less maneuverable than the MCII, with no way to improve any of it. The only thing going for it is the ECM on the -A and -B variants. The best loadouts on the BlAsp are the same as the MCII, so it's far smarter to just go with the MCII.

#3 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

I'd like to see what the Blood Asp can do when not piloted by the challanged, actually. Every single one I've seen so far has either spent the entire game out in the middle of no where, or is trying to bring back the PPC+GR meta (Sometimes both).

#4 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Dual Gauss + 6x ERML is the most effective I can find as a loadout, and the MCII can do it better... Sad.

#5 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

View PostBombast, on 15 May 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

I'd like to see what the Blood Asp can do when not piloted by the challanged, actually. Every single one I've seen so far has either spent the entire game out in the middle of no where, or is trying to bring back the PPC+GR meta (Sometimes both).

I'm seeing the same. All standing wayyyyy in BFE. And its kinda annoying because most people can't gauss vomit. They just hear its "a meta" and mount it.

#6 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

You folks crack me up...

They do anything that props a mech better than existing mech and its "OMG such power creep!". They don't do enough or manage to fit it in nicely with the existing stable and its "OMG this is just same-o-same-o"...

Edited by DaZur, 15 May 2018 - 12:51 PM.

#7 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

View PostDaZur, on 15 May 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

You folks crack me up...

They do anything that props a mech better than existing mech and its "OMG such power creep!". They don't do enough or manage to fit it in nicely with the existing stable and its "OMG this is just same-o-same-o"...

The BlAsp is supposed to be the upgrade to the MCII, much like the Cougar is to the Adder... Except it isn't. That's our complaint, it's worse in every way but 1 to the thing it's supposed to be better than.

#8 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 15 May 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

The BlAsp is supposed to be the upgrade to the MCII, much like the Cougar is to the Adder... Except it isn't. That's our complaint, it's worse in every way but 1 to the thing it's supposed to be better than.

No....?

The production date of the Blood Asp is 3060, the Mad Cat Mk. II is 3066... at least according to lore of the IP... also they are different animals one is an Omni the other is a bog standard battlemech... I can't even be bothered to go into it again as to why MWO has it backwards that Battlemechs are better than Omni mechs....

#9 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:29 PM

I always said MK II would be and stay on top.

#10 Stinger554

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

View PostImperius, on 15 May 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

I always said MK II would be and stay on top.

Yep until they nerf them Posted Image

#11 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:45 PM

View PostStinger554, on 15 May 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

Yep until they nerf them Posted Image

Technically everything has been nerfed and it’s still on top. It’s the silhouette and mount locations that make it so good. It’s hard to nerf that ;)

#12 Stinger554

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

View PostImperius, on 15 May 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

Technically everything has been nerfed and it’s still on top. It’s the silhouette and mount locations that make it so good. It’s hard to nerf that Posted Image

They actually postponed recent nerf of MK II so it's not been nerfed. Posted Image

They could give them Direwolf level agility. Posted Image

#13 CanadianCyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

Blood Asp has pre-buff Highlander IIC level mobility. The struggle is real just trying to go up the ramps on HPG. This is no good PGI. The Blood Asp has a 360 XL vs the 325 XL (Maximum) for the HGN IIC. Which doesn't matter since the engine decoupling, the only reason the Blood Asp has for being this gimped is because of PGI balance overlords and no other mechanic employed in the game.

#14 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

I hated it in tabletop, and it seems like the side torsos are ripe to be plucked. Can't wait to kill a few tonight...

#15 CanadianCyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

Current Blood Asp (B)mobility stats vs Highlander IIC (b variant) (No skills for either mech)

Blood Asp B
Accel - 10.79 KPH
Decel - 13.88 KPH
Turn Rate - 34.95 (Deg)
Torso Turn Rate - 63 (Deg)

Highlander IIC B (325 XL)
Accel - 20.02 KPH
Decel - 17.22 KPH
Turn Rate - 45.26 (Deg)
Torso Turn Rate - 81 (Deg)

ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL PGI!!

Edited by Funzo, 15 May 2018 - 03:39 PM.

#16 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:43 PM

Ok to evaluation the BA like it should be evaluated, on its own rather than be compared to the MK II, so far it seems to sit in the well above average category, maybe even solidly into the very good category to be honest.

Overall I have found it to have higher than average tankiness and durability. The high mounts, number and amount of variation in the hard points available gives it plenty of usable firepower that can perform a peeking, hill humping and staring combat styles equally well making for an exceptionally well rounded mech. If I had anything negative to say about it so far it is that it is an omnimech which makes it somewhat difficult to build out efficiently. On many of my initial test builds I found that I either had too much excess tonnage left over or didn't have enough tonnage/slots available to cool the build adequately which has forced me to make some compromises I wouldn't have to make if it were a battlemech. I suspect that once the reinforcement omnipods because generally available, it will open up a few more options that may allow for some exceptional builds, especially using a combo of the 3 Ballistic Right Torso and the 4 Energy left torso but if you just have the standard pack like me, that is a ways away.

Overall I would give it an 8 out of 10 when considering it from the perspective of the game in general.

As to comparing it against the MkII, honestly the MkII is probably a slightly better mech just because of the fact it is a Battlemech which allows you to tweak your builds to the smallest detail. Generally speaking I run quite a few of my Mk IIs with a 350 XL which shaves off 2.5 tons for a loss of something like 2 kph. That 2.5 tons has been the make or break on several of my Mk II builds and I can already see that there are many build choices I would make quite a bit differently on the BA if I had these extra 2.5 tons available.

One thing I will say is that in the limited amount of matches I have had in the BA so far, it that it actually feels more durable than the MkII. I can't really identify why that is yet, maybe it is just unfamiliarity with the BA's hit boxes, but it just seems to be able to take more damage before it crumbles. Generally speaking I feel my MkIIs get cored very, very quickly and have felt that since day one. With the BA, I feel much more comfortable and confidant standing out in the opening in a staring contest or if I get caught out in the open in an LRM storm. This in and of itself might be a good reason to chose the BA over the MkII.

Edit: About its mobility. Yeah it is lacking. I think this is one area where I would like to see it slightly improved. Honestly I think the mech is much better than the Highlander IIC so I don't think it deserves Highlander IIC levels of mobility but an increase to maybe a base 13.00 acceleration and maybe 15.00 decel with maybe 40 turn rate would kind of be the finishing touches on this mech. Done and done at that point, no problem found.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 15 May 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#17 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

View PostStinger554, on 15 May 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

They actually postponed recent nerf of MK II so it's not been nerfed. Posted Image

They could give them Direwolf level agility. Posted Image

I was one of the people who complained about. Seriously Chris needs to spend a few months in Assaults and see what he’s done.

#18 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

View PostFunzo, on 15 May 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

Current Blood Asp (B)mobility stats vs Highlander IIC (b variant) (No skills for either mech)

Blood Asp B
Accel - 10.79 KPH
Decel - 13.88 KPH
Turn Rate - 34.95 (Deg)
Torso Turn Rate - 63 (Deg)

Highlander IIC B (325 XL)
Accel - 20.02 KPH
Decel - 17.22 KPH
Turn Rate - 45.26 (Deg)
Torso Turn Rate - 81 (Deg)

ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL PGI!!

HOLY COW. HOLY FRICKING COW.

#19 CanadianCyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:46 PM

After looking at the Madcat Mk2, it has the same mobility, but I don't seem to recall the Madcat having issues with hills like the Blood Asp is currently dealing with. As someone whose first assault mech was the Highlander IIC which I got from the IIC pack, I definitely know the pains of dealing with slight inclined plains and the Blood Asp is definitely a trip down that memory lane.

#20 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

View PostFunzo, on 15 May 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

After looking at the Madcat Mk2, it has the same mobility, but I don't seem to recall the Madcat having issues with hills like the Blood Asp is currently dealing with. As someone whose first assault mech was the Highlander IIC which I got from the IIC pack, I definitely know the pains of dealing with slight inclined plains and the Blood Asp is definitely a trip down that memory lane.

It has a bigger engine, which is locked. Why is it's accel and decel such garbage?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users