3 replies to this topic

#1 Tanek

• PipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArc-Royal

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

So I recently picked up the Time of War rpg book. I'm thinking of running a campaign in the 4th succession war, where the party will be a freelance group picked up by Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion to do tactical missions while Zeta does what Zeta does. I figure the missions they would normally do would involve sneaking in behind enemy lines to take out AA, steal mechs, sabotage, or gather intel. Essentially be the monkey wrench that gets thrown in before Zeta rolls through.

Now I have a few problems. Who should they be fighting? I know the Dragoons went in a circle and fought everyone, but who would make the most interesting enemies for a bunch of people new to Battletech? Should I change the time period to Jihad era and replace Dragoon's with Stones Lament? Could include clan tech that way even though I only own a bunch of inner sphere models.

I plan on the players getting a mission briefing every other session then taking 2 sessions to complete said mission. Return to base, rp base stuff, then report for next mission briefing with details about insertion and extraction being a major part of the mission itself. They may get to argue or convince their CO that they need extra resources and they wont always be provided with a mech (I'm trying to leave room open so they don't all feel like they have to play Mechwarriors). How would you guys feel about playing in a campaign like this?

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

The Draconis Combine pulls a lot of crap on the Dragoons while they employ them. Could be interesting, fighting the enemy and you're employer at the same time.

#3 Tanek

• PipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArc-Royal

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:46 AM

That's an awesome idea. I could start with them taking easy contracts, that get progressively harder as the Combine begins to work against them. Maybe intel gets left out or maybe they're not given the resources that were promised them.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:20 PM

View PostTanek, on 16 May 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

That's an awesome idea. I could start with them taking easy contracts, that get progressively harder as the Combine begins to work against them. Maybe intel gets left out or maybe they're not given the resources that were promised them.

Yeah. The Dracs have a very low opinion of those that fight for money. Especially if they're successful in endeavors where they have not been (as it shames them), and in the notion that their loyalty could be bought by someone else. While its more about their "honor" than straight up ego, the end result is about the same... hurt their pride and they'll give you the shaft.

Side note for possible inspiration, consider watching the short anime series called "Joker Game." 12 episodes long, it is set in World War II and its about Japanese spies in a culture that has an awful opinion of such dishonorable roles. Replace "spies" with "Mercs," and welcome to the Draconis Combine.

Its available in English Sub (written translations with original audio) and Dub (voiced in English).

Edited by Koniving, 16 May 2018 - 05:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users