Solaris City And It's Minor Effects To The Meta

3 replies to this topic

#1 Hierarch

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:36 PM

Let me start by saying the map is beautiful, and if this were a single player game I would be drooling over it's design. Additionally it may be to early to tell the real effects of this map, and the Anni-nerf is a fine start, so on to my main point.

Stolaris City being in the map pool has a few effects. These effects shape even if in minor ways the viability of weapon systems and mech choice. That being said the unique ramps are a nearly unique combat situation on their own, with only one other map boasting something similar.

Still It's a tight corridor map with little sight line and high buildings. This has the effect of reducing the effectiveness of LRM weaponry, a weapon system that in it's element still under performs, has it's own hard counter and is surprisingly ineffective, spreading it's damage out instead of focusing it properly. LRM's have a few maps where they perform better then they often do, Polar Highlands being one of those. Then there are maps where they often under perform Mining Collective, probably being the largest offender until now. Stelaris is a map that puts LRMS into question entirely. A map where the high walls, the large highways and the low sight line make it difficult to properly use them.

On another note the map has another effect, providing relatively small map with great missile protection, and again low sight line. A perfect hunting ground for the Anni, who excels at such close ranged combat, a mech who more then most was a favored target for LRM users because of their low mobility, and distant range being about the only distance you can fight that mech and win on equal footing. Making the Annihilator an even better choice over nearly every other assault, then it already is.

To sum up my point, the meta is still to new to really evaluate the situation. But these have been my observations of the situation currently. I think Stelaris might be a great addition to the map pool, a unique map with it's own play style, but such maps do have effects on the meta for better or worse.

One last after thought, I don't play the poptart style of mech so another might be better to give an idea of how much this helps or hurts that style. But from my unkeen eye the map doesn't seem to provide much opportunity.

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:39 PM

It is very much so designed for brawling. You'll be hard pressed to find anywhere on that map that you CAN'T excel with a brawling build. There is practically no use for long range weapons here.

#3 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:55 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 16 May 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

There is practically no use for long range weapons here.

That is not true at all. There are plenty of places with long lines of sight, and many places non-jj fatties can get up to for elevation. Played 228 and 42 several times yesterday and they had no problem finding range to use against us.

The periphery of the center square and the square itself are bad places to be, but good places to kite the enemy.

The problem is that every other map in the game consists of a few pieces of cover strung out over a wide open area, where as this map has a few wide open areas with a lot of cover between them.

The meta on this map is light kiting, and it should stay that way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users