Oldie But Goodie

10 replies to this topic

#1 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

We've got a lot of mechs to choose from in MWO, it was not always that way.

What was your favorite mech prior to official launch/phoenix release/Sept 2013 and do you still use it?

My first three chasis were Centurion, Highlander, and Spider. None have the pre-Beta build and very few see action anymore. My CN9-AH sees action (the Beta -A -AL and -D models sit in the hanger). Even with the new tech available my Spider and Highlander builds just seem undergunned due to lack of hardpoints.

For those who aren't sure which mechs were available pre-launch:
Spoiler

Edited by SilentScreamer, 16 May 2018 - 09:34 AM.

#2 Old dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

I wasnt around before or at release so please fill me in, but wasnt the Locust released around that time also?

#3 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

View PostOld dirty B, on 16 May 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

I wasnt around before or at release so please fill me in, but wasnt the Locust released around that time also?

Locust was a Phoenix mech and was put in game on Launch, so no, not a Beta mech release.

#4 Old dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:00 AM

Alright, thanks. That means i wasnt around at that time (pre-release) and my favorite mech neither...

#5 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:32 PM

The only mech I had purchased before my return to the game last year was a Cataphract 4X that I used during the Beta. Repair and rearm costs drove me away though.

#6 Ollorin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:50 PM

HBK-4J and it's still one of my "go to" mechs even though I've adjusted the build a bit.

My "old build" was LRM10x2, MLx4, xl255, bap. When I'm loaded out like this I basically play second line support. Hanging back in a LRM build is a mistake. Basically, follow my heavies and assaults and lob my LRMS over their heads at the closest/focused enemy to soften them up for my team mates to kill, following through with some pinpoint with the ML as the opportunities arise. Then later on in the match offering up my armor and taking some hits as needed. This build uses the mechs quicks nicely, hits at all ranges, and offers both crits and pinpoint.

My "new build" swaps the xl255 with a light 255 and the LRM10x2 with a MRM20+MRM10. Again I stick with the heavies and assaults and focus on whatever they are. Let loose with MRM, then follow up with some pinpoint damage from the ML.

I keep my skill mostly the same between the 2 builds though for the LRM build I'll pull points from Survival and my extra arty strike to put them into Target info gathering and sensor range.

Both builds work reasonably well for me but right now I'm trying to find a way to move the build over to mech that gets a c-bill bonus.

#7 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:17 PM

My favorite mech back then was the VTR-DS "Dragon Slayer"... Gauss / 2 ERPPC jump sniper. Back when a 35 pt alpha was considered very high. That thing rocked. I've tried re-making it with AC2 / 2 HPPC, but it just doesn't feel the same, it doesn't jump anywhere near high enough. It's not gonna see much play time.

#8 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:18 AM

My weapon of choice early on was the Blackjack BJ-1 with a Gauss Rifle and 4 Medium Lasers. I got my first 1,000+ damage game in it.

#9 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:51 AM

Of the beta mechs, the Hunchback, Commando, and Orion are my favourites.

I also have a bit of a sweet spot for the Trebuchet, since it was the first medium I climbed into. I have the 5N and 5J still.

#10 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

I just started playing MWO, but in ~1998 MW2 my favorite was a timberwolf with (IIRC) 4xLRM15 and 3xMPL, followed closely by the Bombardier with IIRC 4xLRM15 and a single small laser in the CT

LRM boats were unstoppable back then :-P

I just got non-satellite internet (one second+ lag is unplayable) and I'm loving it.

#11 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:28 PM

Raven was my first mech, followed by Catapults.

I joined just before UI 2.0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users