Lac & Hvac - Autocannon Variations.

5 replies to this topic

Poll: LAC & HVAC. (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Should be these implemented in MwO?

1. Yup, both variants (15 votes [93.75%])

Percentage of vote: 93.75%

2. Yes, but only LAC (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. Yes, but only HVAC (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Nope, at all. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

In short:

LAC - Light Autocannon.

The first Light Autocannon were prototypes created by the NAIS during the Clan Invasion. They didn't see widespread production until after the NAIS was destroyed by the Word of Blake's assault on New Avalon. Despite the advances of the NAIS, only the lightest two autocannon were effective weapons.

The LAC/2 and LAC/5 trade some range for a weight reduction of approximately 20%. This allows combat units to carry more weapons, ammunition, or armor, and still use the specialized autocannon rounds (Precision, Flechette, and Armor-Piercing) developed for the AFFS. The AFFS is the largest user of the Light Autocannon, but Imperator Automatic Weaponry has introduced the weapon to the Free Worlds League Military

Currently there are only two types of Light Autocannon:

HVAC - HyperVelocity Autocannon.

The Hypervelocity Autocannon (HVAC) family of weapons is based on the Autocannon. While they have the same damage classes, they're capable of firing much further. However, in order to obtain the increased ballistic range, the hypervelocity ammo is larger and uses a unique type of propellant, reducing the number of shots per ton of ammo along with a couple other drawbacks, such as a chance of the weapon exploding, and a thick smoke trail every time the weapon is fired.

Like Ultra or Rotary autocannons, Hypervelocity autocannons are unable to make use of special munitions.

As of 3059 there are three Hypervelocity Autocannon types developed by the Capellan Confederation:

Source: Sarna.net

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:28 PM

Yes, but only if the Clans get their HAGs. Right now the IS already has way more variety, and apart from a 1-1 comparison of laser total damage, better weapons.

#3 TheVikingArtist

• Pip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:23 PM

I would love to see these but I agree with BTGbullseye that the clans need to get some new options first, HAGs preferably.

#4 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

Give Clans their RACs and HAGs too.

#5 MechanicalWraith

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:09 PM

All for both of these additions, but as others have said, not without some more clan weaponry like the Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle and perhaps some fresh (still canon) weapons for both Clan and IS like Mech Mortars. The Civil War update added some cool stuff but there's no reason to stop there.

#6 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:16 AM

I think it would be fine to give them HAG's, but there is a risk that instead of L/HVAC's we'll get Silver Bullet.

I'm also fine to see Mech Mortars as well - less stigmatized long ranged missile weapon, but it would require a skill to hit with this thing (due to arc trajectory in all ranges).

Dedicated Caseless AC (CAC/20 here) would be also a addition worth of consideration, but it's mostly trading higher ammo capacity per ton with explosion risk during shooting (dmg to self = one hit from such weapon).

And about Clan RAC's... they're common in 3145!!! :P
But first prototypes emerged in 3073. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users