- - - - -

New Here, Some Feedback.

16 replies to this topic

#1 Hellmut34

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:12 AM

Hello,

I would just like to introduce myself because after a decent evenings play I get the feeling that I will be giving the game a fair shot.

There are a couple of things I would like to ask though.

1. I notice that the impact of weapon hits feel a bit on the lightweight side and don't seem to have that "OOMPH!" that some other games I have played in the past.
Is this a setting I am missing or is that working as intended?.

2. The sounds in general have a similar feeling whereupon the firing of weapons don't seem to have a gratifying style of audio. WIth that I mean the lasers and missiles in general feel a bit muted and could do with more depth.

3. Damage indication is ok using a paper doll, but I would like to know via a more on screen visual how much a particular hit did. Once again is there an option I have missed?.

But slight niggles aside, one of the major things I have seen is good team coordination and communication throughout matches.

Anyway that'll do for now, hope to get some good replies

Hellmut34Posted Image

Edited by Hellmut34, 17 May 2018 - 12:13 AM.

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:32 AM

Welcome to MWO, Hellmut34! Are you german by any chance? If so, you could join our little casual group of players that meets in the evenings to roll out onto the battlefield together.

Regarding your questions:
1. You're not missing anything. The different weapon systems have a different impact on your cockpit shake. The heaviest being the AC20 and the Heavy Gauss i believe.
2. There's a sound mod around that I'm using myself, which adresses your issue.
3. No, there's no other way to tell how much damage you took other than the paperdoll and ofc the knowledge about the weapons the opponent is firing at you.

#3 Hellmut34

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for the quick reply :)

No I'm British with a very German look about me so it's a bit of a joke name that I have take through various games with me ;)

So there are sound mods? good you enlighten me as to where I can download the one you use please as that would be great!

Also another thing I noticed when I actually managed to get my first kill was how it didn't seem all that spectacular. In the recent Battlemech strategy game you get a really satisfying explosion, but here I noticed my opponent simply cease and then got "Target Eliminated". I would Love to have seen a decent end to the process.

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:53 AM

Got you covered.

Mechs normally do not explode, because - from a lore perspective - there's not much volatile stuff in the core, the fusion engine. Apart from the occasional ammo explosion, mechs don't go boom.

To bad you're a filthy island-dweller (just kidding), as there are some serious communication barriers in our little group when it comes to speaking or listening to english.
But feel free to add me ingame and we still might do a drop together on the occasion.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 17 May 2018 - 12:56 AM.

#5 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:56 AM

Welcome to happy land . Hope you have lots of fun . Posted Image

1. You are in a giant armoured robot , you are not really supposed to die in one shot although if enough firepower is focused on you , that can sometimes happen . If you shoot mechs in the back , they die faster because most players put just about all their armour foward and that also makes your weapons seem light .
You are probably still playing with trial mechs yes ? Once you buy your own mech you can customize it for more damage output, also unlocking the firepower skill nodes will give your mech more oomph . Its half the fun .
Check out MechSpecs.com for cool builds for your mech once you bought one .

2. Try some machine guns and ballistics weapons , I think they sound very satisfying .

3. Pure numbers on damage is not that important . Top left screen gives you percentage on your mech . 30 percent or below you are in trouble.
If doll is black you are in trouble , you lost something or internals are exposed . One or two shots and you are dead .

Edited by Pain G0D, 17 May 2018 - 01:00 AM.

#6 Hellmut34

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:00 AM

Thanks for all the help :)

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 17 May 2018 - 12:53 AM, said:

Got you covered.

Mechs normally do not explode, because - from a lore perspective - there's not much volatile stuff in the core, the fusion engine. Apart from the occasional ammo explosion, mechs don't go boom.

To bad you're a filthy island-dweller (just kidding), as there are some serious communication barriers in our little group when it comes to speaking or listening to english.
But feel free to add me ingame and we still might do a drop together on the occasion.

View PostPain G0D, on 17 May 2018 - 12:56 AM, said:

Welcome to happy land . Hope you have lots of fun . Posted Image

Cheers again :) might just do that

1. You are in a giant armoured robot , you are not really supposed to die in one shot although if enough firepower is focused on you , that can sometimes happen . If you shoot mechs in the back , they die faster because most players put just about all their armour foward and that also makes your weapons seem light .
You are probably still playing with trial mechs yes ? Once you buy your own mech you can customize it for more damage output, also unlocking the firepower skill nodes will give your mech more oomph . Its half the fun .
Check out MechSpecs.com for cool builds for your mech once you bought one .

2. Try some machine guns and ballistics weapons , I think they sound very satisfying .

3. Pure numbers on damage is not that important . Top left screen gives you percentage on your mech . 30 percent or below you are in trouble.
If doll is black you are in trouble , you lost something or internals are exposed . One or two shots and you are dead .

Thanks for the info

#7 SilentFenris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:49 AM

View PostHellmut34, on 17 May 2018 - 12:12 AM, said:

3. Damage indication is ok using a paper doll, but I would like to know via a more on screen visual how much a particular hit did. Once again is there an option I have missed?.

But slight niggles aside, one of the major things I have seen is good team coordination and communication throughout matches.

Anyway that'll do for now, hope to get some good replies

As others have said, no numbers shown for damage during match either "floating" or as part of the HUD. The Mechwarrior part of this franchise has always leaned more toward Simulator combat than the RPG-style of their Battletech game-cousins.

What is in-game to help:

You noticed the mech paperdolls flash when they update with damage. Weapon damage stats are true for each shot IF three conditions are true:

1) IF you are at or under optimal range weapon range
- The range next to each weapon name on your HUD is the farthest range which you will do maximum damage. If a weapon has a maximum range it will do less than full damage to that range, if not (ex: missiles) it will not damage anything past that range.
- The targeting recticle:
A) if "on-target" will show a numerical range in meters next to itself on the HUD. Your weapons will also converge their fire arc on that range/point. Very useful for hitting small targets like UAVs.
B) will highlight weapon names on your HUD if you put the reticle on-target and the target is in-range of that weapon.
C) flashes red when your weapon fire hits the enemy; only marginally useful because weapon damage scales down from optimal range to ~0 at max range for each weapon. Example: Your reticle will still flash red if you score a hit with a PPC shot past maximum range, thus doing little or no damage.

2) If you hit only the target's armor. Once armor is gone you may get extra "crit" damage which is determined by a RNG and adds extra damage to structure and weapons/equipment.

3) If you do not hit a destroyed section on a mech. Shooting a leg or side torso that is already depleted of armor and structure will transfer reduced damage to the adjacent healthy section. It use to be 1/2 but now I think it is 1/4. So if you shoot an already destroyed Side Torso for 100 dmg, only 25 damage transfers to the target's Center Torso.

Congrats on your success, hope to see you in-game.

Edited by SilentFenris, 17 May 2018 - 07:28 AM.

#8 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:28 AM

View PostSilentFenris, on 17 May 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

3) If you do not hit a destroyed section on a mech. Shooting a leg or side torso that is already depleted of armor and structure will transfer reduced damage to the adjacent healthy section. It use to be 1/2 but now I think it is 1/4. So if you shoot an already destroyed Side Torso for 100 dmg, only 25 damage transfers to the target's Center Torso.

I think it's 40%. 60% wasted.

#9 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

Welcome! :)

#10 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 17 May 2018 - 07:28 AM, said:

I think it's 40%. 60% wasted.

Depends, 40% to connected section. even less if you hit a destroyed arm on a destroyed sidetorso.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:29 PM

View PostHellmut34, on 17 May 2018 - 12:41 AM, said:

Thanks for the quick reply Posted Image

No I'm British with a very German look about me so it's a bit of a joke name that I have take through various games with me Posted Image

So there are sound mods? good you enlighten me as to where I can download the one you use please as that would be great!

Also another thing I noticed when I actually managed to get my first kill was how it didn't seem all that spectacular. In the recent Battlemech strategy game you get a really satisfying explosion, but here I noticed my opponent simply cease and then got "Target Eliminated". I would Love to have seen a decent end to the process.

Youtube has links with examples, look for "MWO sound mod."

We technically cannot provide you with direct links for code of conduct reasons.

Popular ones include "MW2 sound mod" "MW3 sound mod" "MW4 sound mod" "Haven Kendrick" sound mod, "Battle Enhancement" sound mod, and so on.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

In terms of the explosion, this was partly an artistic choice by PGI and partly a technical one.

The game originally featured somewhat cooler things, such as the "Popcorn" from an ammo explosion...far more satisfying than what we have now. There was also kinematics in terms of impacts, so hitting a mech with an AC/20 would 'jerk' their body significantly and if hit by twin AC/20s on death you could actually see them launch through the air.

These...caused problems...however. Game crashes, load issues, inconsistent visuals so X thing blocking your sight because there's a mech here... isn't the same as what the other player sees because X thing is actually over in another location.... so unfair advantages and expectations... Knockdowns...

To put it as simply as I can... What you saw, what they saw, and what the server saw would be three completely inconsistent things.
So PGI just...removed it all.

Also note: The weapon sounds were a lot better back then.

MWO eventually changed from a simulation to a 'game'... and with it, a lot of the cool immersive stuff got removed in favor of "fun." Being knocked down... isn't "fun." Having an unfair disadvantage because what you see isn't what they see and so your cover doesn't exist to them... isn't fun...etc.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:41 PM

We also had more impact for weapons.
Players complained.

And it got removed.
Actually people complain about the current levels of impact, too. There's even "skills" to unlock which reduce it even further.

#14 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

Not to mention old thermals being infinitely better than what we have now. Or how the old LRMs swirled around, how Frozen City wasn't a wide-open sniping pit, how... &c.

#15 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

So many missing things...

#16 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:13 PM

View PostHellmut34, on 17 May 2018 - 12:12 AM, said:

That is going to pass. ;-) You are going to have games all over the map, with some people apparently deaf, mute and unable to read. And you are going to have matches where people are really organised, calling targets and everybody is actually reacting to that. Most of the games are going to be somewhere in the middle. :-)

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:53 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 18 May 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

So many missing things...

All brought to an end by tears from the community...and laziness.
(Thermal needed a lot of work to be done to the maps, too, to have them be properly represented with heat levels for everything to avoid the "Color against black" syndrome the old thermals had).

But yeah, for sounds... This was made entirely with stock sounds from MWO's final beta game files. Wait for the Spider to die for the best one...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users