MWO

#2 Azure Kit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

I want to love battletech. But its just so slow to play and poorly optimized, and too many 95% chance shots go flying off into left field for no reason. It just slowly wears on me.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:23 PM

View PostAzure Kit, on 19 May 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

I want to love battletech. But its just so slow to play and poorly optimized, and too many 95% chance shots go flying off into left field for no reason. It just slowly wears on me.

not every game is meant for every taste. *shrugs* I love the pace... not so much the lack of optimization. But as with TV, music, movies, etc...YMMV.

#4 Azure Kit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 May 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

not every game is meant for every taste. *shrugs* I love the pace... not so much the lack of optimization. But as with TV, music, movies, etc...YMMV.

I mean the waiting. Wait for the animation to play out. Wait for the two second pause where the camera just hangs after every action. It just feels tedious after a while. I'll still jump in and do a quick mission or two but turns just take forever when the enemy has lots of vehicles and turrets. Its still fun, just grates after a while. It also gave me a new respect for the HGN-732b.

Edited by Azure Kit, 19 May 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

View PostAzure Kit, on 19 May 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

I mean the waiting. Wait for the animation to play out. Wait for the two second pause where the camera just hangs after every action. It just feels tedious after a while. I'll still jump in and do a quick mission or two but turns just take forever when the enemy has lots of vehicles and turrets. Its still fun, just grates after a while. It also gave me a new respect for the HGN-732b.

I figured that was what you meant. And like I said..it won't click for everyone. The Animations don't bother me. The lack of optimization including the camera hangups, the bad camera panning, etc.. that does.

#6 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

Yes after playing Battletech this game really shows its age and its lack of actual Mechwarrior gameplay...

#7 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

The game we really need is:

View PostMystere, on 16 May 2018 - 05:43 AM, said:

Total War: BattleTech

Enough said!

#8 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:12 PM

The slow parts i can handle, i mean i could just stop the unfun camera movements and just keep it isometric.

Personally, before modding of Battletech, it's not that fun after a while. With only 4 mechs in your lance, it becomes tedious to just watch enemies to take a poke at you one after another, and in open maps you can't just bottleneck them.

Eventually you are FORCED to go heavier, and with little difficulty diversity (until modded), that devalues the use of light mechs, especially when there's missions that you couldn't move around as much as your evasions would have been withered by so much enemies firing at you. Would have been FAR BETTER if missions have tonnage cap based on mission type. Even better if Evasions doesn't wither with fire, unless you became unsteady.

And what's with only a few missions per systems? It's not like i could just go for so many missions all at once, not with limited pilots and limited mechs.

Going systems to systems are a drag because with only 30 days per quarter -- which should have been 120 days -- it really insists on making you get jobs first for the money and couldn't explore with your leisure.

Also the direct copy-pasta of hardpoints is just lazy, I mean why does the Urbanmech still have 4 ballistic when MGs are support weapon? Are we supposed to put 4 AC2s there? Cause without armor, there's only 21.5 tons that can be used, and that's still not enough for the 4x AC2. i appreciate the change in construction rules, such as more slots, smaller weapons, etc. But they really should think things a lot more.

The AC10s and AC20s aren't also that satisfying to watch too, cause the impact special effects are just unnoticeable.

Extremely rare weapons and equipment also kind of prevents their use, unless made common. Because people -- at least I -- would just save them for a more common weapon. When I got Gauss, i never used it.

While it's true that everybody have different tastes, and i respect what people find to be fun and not fun, it's still does not excuse the game for what it lacks. Simply shrugging criticisms off like that as "it's not for you", doesn't really help improve the game when it has room for it. Basically if we accept such invocation uncritically, we could justify any game being okay.

Sure the RNG aspect would create WTF moment, and the turn-based makes it slow, but it could have been handled a lot better. Like if you could speed up movement -- like what i think they did on XCOM2.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 19 May 2018 - 05:23 PM.

#9 Mortalcoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

View PostAzure Kit, on 19 May 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

The HGN-732b was arguably the best mech in the game a looong time ago, before all of the power creep, the destruction of pop tarting, etc.

#10 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

I never played TT, so I don’t really understand the game mechanics yet, gameplay feels slow. That said, I’ll keep at it.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

I am already bored from BT. Finished its campaign 2 days ago, and I just can't keep myself playing it anymore. Once you get your dream team/build, all missions are easy as hell, not to mention as repetitive as MWO.

Back to FP and Solaris for me.

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 19 May 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

Also the direct copy-pasta of hardpoints is just lazy, I mean why does the Urbanmech still have 4 ballistic when MGs are support weapon? Are we supposed to put 4 AC2s there? Cause without armor, there's only 21.5 tons that can be used, and that's still not enough for the 4x AC2. i appreciate the change in construction rules, such as more slots, smaller weapons, etc. But they really should think things a lot more.

Weapons graphics are just as bad as MWO. I put two AC20s in that highlighted arm. Does that look like two AC20s to ya?

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 19 May 2018 - 05:55 PM.

#12 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

It starts to get repetetive especially as it devolves into just bringing the biggest mechs you can in the face of superior enemy numbers and just running knock down builds. It just makes winning pretty formulaic. And since you can max your mechwarriors stats, they hit almost anything, and only their specail skills distinguish between them.

I'm still playing once in a while. But compared to when I started, when I was playing for three hours at a time straight, it's quickly losing it's shine. Plus the lag between missions lowers fun value.

Edited by MechaBattler, 19 May 2018 - 06:01 PM.

#13 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 19 May 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

Weapons graphics are just as bad as MWO. I put two AC20s in that highlighted arm. Does that look like two AC20s to ya?

Posted Image

Even MWO has updated weapon skins. Lel.

It's sad to know that Battletech was half-assed on the technical side. I mean the hardpoints aren't even fixed with their modified construction rules. MGs has Flamer hardpoints, hell, with modding i realized that the hardpoints only count up. If you had a different type of weapon before another type, like a PPC and Missile, the hardpoints would be bumped up regardless of weapon type, even fit it's not in the way.

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

I am already bored from BT. Finished its campaign 2 days ago, and I just can't keep myself playing it anymore. Once you get your dream team/build, all missions are easy as hell, not to mention as repetitive as MWO.

You were doing it wrong. What you need to do is just avoid the main story and play in the sandbox. I'm 100 hours in, still haven't hit story mission 4. Been playing the whole time with lances of 2 meds/2 lights, or 1 heavy, 2 meds, 1 light, or heavy/med/2 lights. So much fun to be had at 2-3 skulls.. :)

#15 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

Eh, a lot of the things people are wanting are coming in their next few patches. Increasing the speed of gameplay and difficulty settings have already been mentioned as in the works.

And of course the game has goofiness with hardpoints showing the wrong weapon--it uses MWO models, afterall. ;) All seriousness, though, the weapons displaying correctly in Battletech is a super minor bug. I'd hope they do some tweaks on the hardpoint allocations of some mechs, though, like the Urbanmech with 4 ballistic slots and no support slots, as was mentioned above.

As far as longevity, the base game isn't super amazing for sinking hundreds of hours into, sure. I think they have a decent base game to add to though, and I'm sure we'll see plenty to keep dragging us back into the game.

#16 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:24 PM

Battle tech the new game that got old real fast .

Give it a year or two , perhaps I will be motivated enough to actually try it out .

#17 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:53 PM

Turn based strategy games, are usually exactly meant for my taste (i love them), but BT just objectively falls flat on its face in so many areas, which is why i have a hard time loving it:

1) Balance:
Boy did they mess this one up. So many useless weapson. Such a clear, predictable, and boring "best" way to play the game (knockdown & precision strikes). People can't stop complaining about low TTK in MWO, but i guess oneshotting, or almost oneshotting assault mechs through the CT via precision strike is fine? Imo, it isn't. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Evasion being useless mid-lategame. Light and medium mechs serving no purpose as soon as you get heavies. +++ weapons scaling badly making the game easy as f*ck) etc.

Which leads to the second area were BT dropped the ball.

2) Gameplay
First, MWO get shredded by its playerbase for years for making lights the worst class in game and not giving them a role via the design of gamemodes.
What does BT? Even though it would have been incredilby easier to give light mechs a purpose in a turn based single player strategy game than it is in a multiplayer shooter, they did nothing at all. Light, and even medium mechs do not serve a purpose in this game as soon as you get heavies and assaults. People can use them to gimp themselves for the funsies, but that's it. You don't even need them as scouts because the map are the size of a shoebox and you will detect the enemies within two turns even with an all assault lance.

Secondly, the game never does anything to push players out of their comfort zone. What works in mission 10 works in match 100 and every other single mission against the dumb as rock AI. The only way this game creates a sense of difficulty is throwing more mechs at you. That's it. The game does nothing to create a sense of difficulty and achievement outside of throwing 8 dumb as a rock assaults at you.
The limited AI makes the battles all play out the same, which makes combat repetitve very, very quickly.

2) Economy:
It's there, but it simply doesn't matter after a few hours of playing. I'm sitting on a ship full of assault mechs, 25 million cbills, more pilots than i ever need, etc. They created an ilusion of economy that becomes irrelevant quickly.

Moreover, the ship updates are so generic. I don't "feel" them. I get them because i can, but i don't feel like they are influencing me. I wish they included missions in which it actually matters if you got all those upgrades or not.

3) Maps
As mentioned, they are small as a shoebox and leave little room for tactical variation. Imo, it would have been a way better approach to make considerably larger maps, but allow to move your units without range limitations and all of them at once (like in a regular RTS) outside of combat (switch into turn mode as soon as enemy is detected) and create longer campaign missions with multiple objectives on one map.

3) Overall game design issues.
Why am i waiting so much, BT? Why? Why am i staring at a daytimer run down painfully slow when traveling to another system? What's with the like 3 repetitive cutscenes that are played over and over again? Whats the purpose of all this? Is it masking the terrible loading times? Why can't we speed things up? I don't enjoy sitting there staring at the "days" timer running down so often.

4) Last but not least: The writing
They gave us the generic run-of-the-mill revolt story we have seen dozends of times. Ok, i could live with that. But that's literally everything there is to it. The story and charakters are as flat as the one page they all were written on.

Where are the unpredictable plot twists? Where are the decisions influencing the outcome of events? I'm a damn merc why in gods name can't i pick the side of the conflict? They are just railroading us down a story we have seen time and time again.
Even if they bring up something interesting (the SLDF virus) they just drop it instatly without going into it.

All things considered, BT is simply a mediocre turn based game, as much as i love this genre.

Edited by meteorol, 19 May 2018 - 10:00 PM.

#18 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:59 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 19 May 2018 - 08:50 PM, said:

You were doing it wrong. What you need to do is just avoid the main story and play in the sandbox. I'm 100 hours in, still haven't hit story mission 4. Been playing the whole time with lances of 2 meds/2 lights, or 1 heavy, 2 meds, 1 light, or heavy/med/2 lights. So much fun to be had at 2-3 skulls.. Posted Image

I could start another account, from scratch. If I ever feel like it.

#19 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

Same for me. I got my money's worth, so it's all good, but after some 50 hours with the campaign and a fair bit of grinding, the single player doesn't have anything I'd care for anymore. Multiplayer doesn't motivate me at all, either, without even basic matchmaking and leaderboards and such. Got another ten or so hours out of mod ding, but that's largely it.

That's not bad all things considered, but I sort of expected more longevity...

#20 s0da72

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:00 AM

I finished the single player campaign yesterday. Overall I'm happy with my purchase. I didn't realize they were making a single player game, I wasn't following the development so this came as a pleasant surprise. It was also the main reason a bought the game. Coming from a small development team it met my expectations, and I'm willing to give them a pass on certain things. A lot of games coming out by 'AAA' developers are now riddle with 'micro transactions' and 'loot boxes' with game play not designed for fun but rather how to best manipulate users into purchasing items. I'd rather give my money to game that doesn't do this type of thing.

The things that annoy me are the repetitive cut scenes like traveling to other planets. Seeing the same docking/undocking scene over again loses it's appeal. They do let you skip a part of it, but not the whole thing. I've seen the camera issues people have mentioned but that doesn't bother me as much. One annoying thing that I haven't seen other people mention is the repairing of armor after battle. I've had numerous times where a mech gets damaged in battle and it doesn't show as needing repair in the mech bay. When you go to drop for the next mission you see it's armor values are wrong. The only way to correct is to go back to the mech bay, select the mech for refit. Adjust the armor value to the part that is incorrect and save it. It's a really odd bug because when you select the Mech for refit it displays the correct mech armor values on the Mech layout screen. This forces you to change the values because if you don't make a change it doesn't adjust the armor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users