Ghost Heat Applied To 2X Hll

Ghost Heat

15 replies to this topic

#1 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:41 AM

I appear to be getting Ghost Heat when firing 2x Heavy Large Lasers. Confirmed in both the Academy, and Testing Grounds.

Fire 1: 16% heat.
Fire 2: 40% heat. (8% heat from Ghost Heat)

This is in a BAS-A with no skill nodes.

Their "remove all ghost heat changes" apparently didn't get rid of the ones for the HLL.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 20 May 2018 - 06:46 AM.

#2 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:00 PM

Videos for the Academy and Training Grounds showing it.

#3 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:19 PM

I'm left with a question... What did you see if you pulled the trigger on THREE C-HLL, ALL at the same time? :mellow:

~D. V. "Feeling like you ignored checking something when you recorded..." Devnull

#4 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:35 PM

82% for 3. (I'm not suiciding again with 4)

It adds an additional 50% heat to each weapon fired after the first.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 21 May 2018 - 10:37 PM.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

There is no Ghost Heat on 2x HLL.

I played at least 10 games with them tonight. No difference to heat at all when playing and I use them a lot.

Rule #1 - NEVER test a "bug" using Testing Grounds and/or Academy (Client Side).

Always use Private Lobby (Server Side)

#6 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

I was also getting it in-game. (I just confirmed it in TG/A) I can't record in-game because it drops my framerate to under 3 FPS at the best of times.

#7 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

BTGbullseye, what you were seeing there with only two C-HLL being fired was a different mechanic called "Heat Retention"... Basically, when you fire, your extra DHS and such immediately bleed off as much as they can of one weapon's worth of Heat generated. When you fire more than one at a time, it doesn't do an immediate bleed of the heat from the other weapons firing. This causes it to look similar to (but not exactly like) Ghost Heat happening. If you keep firing faster than a certain rate, but don't fire so fast as to cause Ghost Heat, you may be able to see more of this effect. All that heat that's racking up, however, will take a while to bleed off. :huh:

~D. V. "Those darned Double Heat Sinks can only take so much at a time..." Devnull

#8 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:32 PM

How does "heat retention" add 50% of a weapons heat on top of the heat they're actually producing? This has nothing to do with retention.

#9 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 22 May 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

How does "heat retention" add 50% of a weapons heat on top of the heat they're actually producing? This has nothing to do with retention.

You're misreading it. As I said, there's some initial auto-dissipation going on due to that extra mechanic. I hope someone else comes along soon that can explain it to you better than I have. :huh:

Perhaps you can get a better idea from firing a bunch of 'C-ER Med. Las.', like 3 to 6 of them? :o

~D. V. "Other weapons with higher G.H. Limits might give you a better idea of what I'm talking about." Devnull

#10 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

Update: Just went to the Testing Grounds... Here's what I got from those "C-ER Medium Lasers" that I was talking about...

1 C-ERML = ~3%
2 C-ERML = ~12%
3 C-ERML = ~21%
4 C-ERML = ~31%
5 C-ERML = ~40%
6 C-ERML = ~50%
7 C-ERML = ~70% (G.H. started here...)
8 C-ERML = ~95% (Mech did NOT shut down here...)

...and it's a good thing I did not have a 9th C-ERML to fire, or I would have caused OverHeat Damage! Prior to G.H. triggering, I had ~9.5% increase after the 1st Laser, and then it really skyrocketed from G.H. at the 7th and above. For reference, I did my testing in a "Nova NVA-Prime" that does NOT have "Set Of 8" Status, and only 4 C-DHS beyond the built-in baseline. I went to "Canyon Network" in the 'Testing Grounds' area to provide a general base temperature to do testing against. :huh:

So yeah, this is an example of the Heat Retention that I was talking about, in prime form. I hope it helps guide your studies. :D

~Mr. D. V. "Trying to explain as best as I can..." Devnull

#11 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

So this is what I'm getting...

1 Weapon: 16%
2 Weapons: 40%
3 Weapons: 84%
4 Weapons: Shut down, yellow CT structure after several seconds.

There is no rapid fire, no chain fire, just from 0% heat test firing. Certainly looks and acts like Ghost Heat, even if it isn't.

It sucks.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 22 May 2018 - 02:58 PM.

#12 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:51 PM

You are assuming the bar is at 0% when firing.

On many maps it is actually -5% or even -10%. This until you fire it doesn't go above.

Same as hot maps which start off at 7% heat before you do anything. I have used HLL before and after patch, they are working exactly as they have since they were released.

View PostD V Devnull, on 22 May 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

BTGbullseye, what you were seeing there with only two C-HLL being fired was a different mechanic called "Heat Retention"... Basically, when you fire, your extra DHS and such immediately bleed off as much as they can of one weapon's worth of Heat generated. When you fire more than one at a time, it doesn't do an immediate bleed of the heat from the other weapons firing. This causes it to look similar to (but not exactly like) Ghost Heat happening. If you keep firing faster than a certain rate, but don't fire so fast as to cause Ghost Heat, you may be able to see more of this effect. All that heat that's racking up, however, will take a while to bleed off. Posted Image

Wut? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by justcallme A S H, 22 May 2018 - 07:51 PM.

#13 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:23 AM

So you're saying that the 0% on my heat bar is actually sitting at -8% instead?

#14 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:45 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 May 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

You are assuming the bar is at 0% when firing.

On many maps it is actually -5% or even -10%. This until you fire it doesn't go above.

Same as hot maps which start off at 7% heat before you do anything. I have used HLL before and after patch, they are working exactly as they have since they were released.

View PostD V Devnull, on 22 May 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

BTGbullseye, what you were seeing there with only two C-HLL being fired was a different mechanic called "Heat Retention"... Basically, when you fire, your extra DHS and such immediately bleed off as much as they can of one weapon's worth of Heat generated. When you fire more than one at a time, it doesn't do an immediate bleed of the heat from the other weapons firing. This causes it to look similar to (but not exactly like) Ghost Heat happening. If you keep firing faster than a certain rate, but don't fire so fast as to cause Ghost Heat, you may be able to see more of this effect. All that heat that's racking up, however, will take a while to bleed off. Posted Image

Wut? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

View PostBTGbullseye, on 23 May 2018 - 04:23 AM, said:

So you're saying that the 0% on my heat bar is actually sitting at -8% instead?

This is as equally probable/possible. I've just simply been working from explanations by others about Heat Management for quite a while in regard to this. It would however leave me wondering why PGI decided to hide the indications of Environment Heat Transfer from the player. And I've still got questions about why there's a Heat Spike when the Engine is being used... :unsure:

~D. V. "Just doing the best I can with what I've heard..." Devnull

#15 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

This heat system as-is is the least intuitive system I can think of.

#16 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:50 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 23 May 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

This heat system as-is is the least intuitive system I can think of.

Agreed. I never had this Ghost Heat Mechanic to fight against back in the Old MechWarrior PC Games. It makes me wonder why PGI didn't just use 4x TableTop Armor Values, so they would never have to use such a squirrely Mechanic. :(

~D. V. "Fighting the game itself while battling your opponents = Bad design..." Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users